Quantcast

06 66 SL conterted to RC2x

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
I have been riding an 06 66 SL for about a year now and the innitial stiction has really been bumming me out even with the works package. So I am planning on buying an X Cartridge from marzocchi and convert my fork to a coil/air hybrid RC2x. I will leave the damper side of the fork as air, and use a coil in the left. Since I am relitivly light "165 ibs unloaded" I figured this should work well. What do you all think? Has anyone ridden both the RC2x and SL and care to comment on how they compare?

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
i've been riding a 66 SL for a while and haven't noticed any extra stiction whatsoever, compared to the 888 i had...

how much would the cartrdige cost you? 'cause you can get a brand new 07 rc2x for cheap at jenson: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK402A14-Marzocchi+66+Rc2x+07.aspx

might be better off just selling the SL and buying a new rc2x, if you're not happy with it.

I would just buy a brand new 07, but I have several reasons for not doing so:
1. My 66sl got the works package at a REALLY good deal, and I dont want to give that up.
2. I dont want to run any more then 170mm of travel on my Coiler as I climb it ALOT.
3. I could just get a 66sl ATA for the travel adjust, BUT I am done with air suspension as I like the feel and reliablity of coil.
4. I could just get the the 07 66 ETA, but the bottomout adjustablity of the x-cartridge appeals to me more then travel adjust.

It will cost me around $250 to make the conversion.

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
The works package for a 66sl includes hand polished bushings and some teflon additve mixed in with the oil.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
The stiction you're feeling from the 06 SL is likely from the lowers being bent from the factory.

If you never got the lowers replaced, do so ASAP. They will do it for free I believe. If you replace the internals without the lowers, your stiction will remain.

My 06 66sl had the twisted lowers and never felt good even after 20 hours of riding. I didn't know about the issue, until I sold the damn thing. Strange thing was though, when riding in 25 degrees F weather, the 66SL was insanely smooth, with seemingly negative amounts of stiction.

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
When I had the works package done on it, I made a specifc note to the factory telling them to check for the twisted lowers. Gideon said that they checked out a-ok. I too have noticed the increased stiction during warmer weather....you are the first person I have spoken to that has claimed to have the same problem. I assume that it is caused by the seal tolerances in the doppio cartridge "it has had plenty of ride time to break in."

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
I dont want to put any more travel then 170mm on my coiler. I do alot of climbing, and I think 180mm would make the front end too hard to control on the MANY steep climbs I have.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
lower to 160mm?

i run only one coil in my 66rc2x right now. works fine. im 145lbs though and run just one stock coil for 40% saggage.

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
I would have to buy a new damper in order to drop the travel down150mm. Too much money for me... I climb pretty well on my 66sl set at 170 and I like the extra travel up front.

Just a thought, but wouldnt the higher oil levels used for the X-Cartridge "190ml" provide better lubrication for the seals and bushings as compared to the only 50ml used with the doppio cart?

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
Alright, here is the scoop on the conversion everyone. These are the parts that you will need to convert an 06 66sl into a 170mm air/coil hybrid RC2x. I just emailed my dealer this information so he can order the stuff up. I will post back expences and how the whole conversion process works out.

703749LA/C “COMPRESS.CARTR.66RC2X TR.170”
521142IW>A “NUT”
5321199AC “NUT UNIT - 66 /888 FORKS”
701288/C “PLUG UNIT- 66 '06”
549093KR “COMPRESSION KNOB '06”
5181406 “PRELOAD SLEEVE 18MM”
5181435 “SPRING GUIDE 66 '06”
549097AC “AIR CAP+RING -66 '06”
5141330/C “SPRINGS KIT K= 3,2”

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
Grrr, I had my bike shop order my parts from Marzocchi almost 2 weeks ago, and they STILL arent here!:plthumbsdown: It seems like they always have a hard time getting stuff out in a timely fashion for me. Pictures, instructions, and a full review of the conversion will come...eventually.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
it would seem to lube better with more oil but i suppose it's location in relation to the bushings...i am thinking of adding more oil to help with ramping up...i get horrible brake dive...i am definately looking forward to your report on this. whats the $ involved?

also with the twisted lowers?? my 66sl axle is off when i put it in but only by 1/8" or so to one side, does this constitute twisted? my fork was at marzocchi for almost 2 months...and they didn't touch the lowers...blown doppio cartridge from the factory

mtbextremist

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
I am EXPECTING it to cost around $250, but who knows I may be surpised in a good or bad way:hmm: I am really excited to see how big of a difference it makes too...I am pretty tired of the notchy feeling midstroke I get out of it, which I contribute to the Doppio Cart. It makes sense, all of the extra seals have gotta add alot of friction to the system. About your brake dive...how much do you run in the PAR? I have found that 6 psi significactly helps firm up the midstroke.