Quantcast

'06 888 on M3?

some_rider

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
MA
Anyone know if the stock crown on an '06 888 is ok to run as is on an M3? Or is a drop crown needed? Have a King headset.

Thanks

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I am 99% sure you need the top crown of an 04/05 888.

My friend Jason (Dhracer1067) has that exact setup:

Maybe you can tell from this picture:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
haromtnbiker said:
I am 99% sure you need the top crown of an 04/05 888.
this is true........the best set-up is with the 04/05 top crown, this also gives you a lower stack height over the 06 top crown........

Doesn't look like an 05' 888 with flat crowns will fit on an M3 - is that right? I'm guessing the stock crowns on an 05' 888 will fit the M3 though?? Glad I saw this thread I was about to buy a 05' 888 with flat crowns for my M3.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
jonnynails said:
Doesn't look like an 05' 888 with flat crowns will fit on an M3 - is that right? I'm guessing the stock crowns on an 05' 888 will fit the M3 though?? Glad I saw this thread I was about to buy a 05' 888 with flat crowns for my M3.
i just installed an '05 with flat lower crown and tall upper crown on my M3, it barely fits.........i'm picking up a regualr 04 upper crown this weekend, will be perfect then....

some_rider

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
MA
Wow that looks super close to run the stock crown!!! It appears to me that the stanchions can come up ~1/8", also not too sure is he has a spacer in between the headset and crown, tough to tell. Looks like I'm flirting with NO for an answer...thanks for the info all...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
some_rider said:
Anyone know if the stock crown on an '06 888 is ok to run as is on an M3? Or is a drop crown needed? Have a King headset.

Thanks
with a king headset you will need a drop crown, i have rigged that exact setup on a medium m3.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You'll need the drop crown.......

But on this topic I saw that Cane Creek makes a headset with a larger lower cup. So imagine a headset with the top cup being low, and the bottom cup being bigger (or longer) to help support this.

Ventana makes a new crown race for the King headset. To get more crown race stack height.

It add's 7mm, dunno if that's enough to run a flat crown but it's a good idea. They also make a smaller one as well check it out

http://www.ventanausa.com/main_accessories.html

I was surprised to not see this stuff come up yet but it is an alternitive possibly if you have the flat crowns already and don't want to go buying a new top crown. Again I don't know 100% if it'll fix your problem but I think it might be a close one.

some_rider

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
MA
Spunger said:

But on this topic I saw that Cane Creek makes a headset with a larger lower cup. So imagine a headset with the top cup being low, and the bottom cup being bigger (or longer) to help support this.

Ventana makes a new crown race for the King headset. To get more crown race stack height.

It add's 7mm, dunno if that's enough to run a flat crown but it's a good idea. They also make a smaller one as well check it out

I was surprised to not see this stuff come up yet but it is an alternitive possibly if you have the flat crowns already and don't want to go buying a new top crown. Again I don't know 100% if it'll fix your problem but I think it might be a close one.
Hmm, never seen those, good to know, but I think those races from Ventana are for single crown forks, preventing the adjustment knobs from hitting the downtube. If anything I would need a very low stack headset to run the flat crown. Think it would be a wash if I was to get a new lowstack heasdset or the drop crown, but a loss loosing the King. I should be getting the 888 today from UPS, but heading off to the mountains tonight...o-well, there's always next weekend....:cool:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Spunger said:

http://www.ventanausa.com/main_accessories.html

that wont help.

only option would be an approx 20mm stack height headset.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
After doing the math in another thread that asked this exact same question, the orbit xtreme headset (25.5mm stack height off the top of my head, might be wrong) will let you get away with running both flat crowns.

Spunger - how on earth does ADDING more stack height let you run flat crowns? Sounds like a brain fart on your behalf, either that or i'm sleepy and should go to bed. :think: