Quantcast

06 888 rc2x problem

Yev

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
Hey , just changed the oil in my 888 rc2x and now there is a clicking sound followed by a squeeking sound on the left side of the fork about 1/4 way into the travel. i only took off the top caps and poured out the oil and then replaced it. any ideas what this could be?

thanks
yev

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Yeah, check the spring seats. Can't remember exactly what they look like on that fork, but it's a good place to start.

Yev

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
everything seems to be seated right, but the springs are buckling when compressed and causing the rubbing and squeeking. i'm thinking of making some kind of sleeve for the outside of the springs. anyone ever get this problem?

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
Usually it's a problem with the OEM marzocchis, the 06 888 was a pretty reliable fork. The click might be cavitation of the oil somewhere in the upper part of compression stroke. A really basic testis to try tuning down the compression all the way and doing your best to push through all the travel to force any bubbles that may be trapped under the spring seat. Try it upside down first, then rightside up. Make sure the seals are lubed up too which may be the cause of the squeak.

If this doesn't do it then something's probably loose inside.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nah his problem definitely sounds like the spring rubbing on the inside of the stanchion. It's been a pretty common issue with all year models of 888 (and many other marzocchi forks) because they refuse to use spring isolators like fox and rockshox do.

I'd suggest checking the spring seats (both upper and lower) to make sure the spring is sitting on them neatly, and to stop the noise, usually moving the spring around a little helps. There's usually a point where they make less noise, and if you're lucky they'll stay there once you find it. On the RC2X you can also play with the preload adjusters a little (wind them in and out and see if you can find a point where the springs quieten down). Less preload will be better in any case, as the springs tend to flex less that way.

You CAN put a rubber isolator on the springs of some sort, but keep in mind that it will cause stiction because the 888 springs/stanchions don't have the right tolerances to accommodate anything between them. So if you must, use something as thin as possible. I've actually heard of people using condoms with success but I'm not sure how long they'd last in the oil.

Yev

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
Nah his problem definitely sounds like the spring rubbing on the inside of the stanchion. It's been a pretty common issue with all year models of 888 (and many other marzocchi forks) because they refuse to use spring isolators like fox and rockshox do.

I'd suggest checking the spring seats (both upper and lower) to make sure the spring is sitting on them neatly, and to stop the noise, usually moving the spring around a little helps. There's usually a point where they make less noise, and if you're lucky they'll stay there once you find it. On the RC2X you can also play with the preload adjusters a little (wind them in and out and see if you can find a point where the springs quieten down). Less preload will be better in any case, as the springs tend to flex less that way.

You CAN put a rubber isolator on the springs of some sort, but keep in mind that it will cause stiction because the 888 springs/stanchions don't have the right tolerances to accommodate anything between them. So if you must, use something as thin as possible. I've actually heard of people using condoms with success but I'm not sure how long they'd last in the oil.

any idea why this just started happening after a year of use?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's not really to do with usage time, it's just the fact that on the rebuild you would have moved the springs / spring retainers a little from their ideal location... it sucks that they're so touchy but there's not a whole lot you can do about it apart from moving things around to try and get it back to how it was.

Yev

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
any idea where i can buy 888 bushings for an 06 rc2x? are the upper and lower bushings interchangeable between all 888 forks? i found a site that sells 888 bushings but does not specify what year it is for.