Quantcast

06 Boxxer team vs. 888rc2x

MTBSully

Monkey
May 20, 2005
haha, yeah its another one of these posts. I recently picked up a demo 8 w/o the fork so im wondering which i shiould get. I did a search and they both seemed pretty popular. Anyone have any opinions on what i should get. I weigh a little over 140pds and do a lot of FR and a lot of DH. Should i just get either one and ride it and see if i like it or is there one that is a lot better for me. Oh yeah i can get the for the same price too. Thanks!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I love my 888 and I hate working on my friend's Boxxers (constantly)
Take it for what its worth ;)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i am bias and am going to have to say booxer wc, however in order to point you in the right direstion we need more info like riding style and use. Also i have to recomend get out there and try the fork before you buy the fork

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
888.... you just ride it, no maintenance. Most people dont even change the oil till a seal leaks and that can take 2-3 seasons.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I just put the new bike togther last night. I have a 06 Boxxer Team on the new Morewood. Love the thing so far. I have never had an 888, but I hear it is nice too. I know the Boxxer will be a lot lighter than the 888. You really can go wrong with ether fork. Enjoy the new bike man.

I will post pics of the new rig next week. Still have a few things to do to it. Lets just say its a one of a kind color on a Izumu. You guys will like.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
It has seriously gotten to the point nowadays where it just doesn't matter. Both of them are smooth, stiff, reliable (despite what Marz fanboys will tell you, Boxxers are nowhere near as bad as they're made out to be), adjustable, lightish and so forth. The Boxxer is a great fork but so is the 888... my advice would be to buy whatever you can get cheaper.

teaguers

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Go with the Boxxer. At your weight you are more likely to notice the differance in weight than a differance in stiffness. I bought my team from a guy who ended up buying a bike that came with a rc2x, and he ended up wishing he still had the Boxxer.

DHFreak

Chimp
May 27, 2006
I am currently riding an '05 888rc and I absolutly love it. However, One of my buddys has a 888rc2x ans I love it more. The compression dampning is twice as good as the '05 888's. On the other hand I have another friend running a Boxxer Team and I have ridden it as well and it pales in comparison to the 'zocchis. For what it's worth, I would go with a marzocchi fork and you will never look back.:cool:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Kanter said:
888.... you just ride it, no maintenance. Most people dont even change the oil till a seal leaks and that can take 2-3 seasons.
No maintenance just means you're lazy. Regardless of the fork you should be changing your oil at least once or twice a season.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
for what its worth most people with boxxer i tried felt like **** cause they had the stock springs in it once you get your propper weight springs they fell almost as plush as a marsocchi with a more controled damping feel and its also nice cause it has a very wide range of adjustment with a small amount of clicks so it can be changed on the fly .
the 888 is seriously plush as the old ones but the adjustmenst do something this year

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
bballe336 said:
No maintenance just means you're lazy. Regardless of the fork you should be changing your oil at least once or twice a season.

Ohhh, when it comes to my bike, I am not lazy. I completely clean and grease my bike 5-6 times a year but I only change the oil in my 888 once a year.

What Im saying is ....SOME people run Zoke forks for 2-3 seasons till they change the oil.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
888,Marzochhi quality,butter smooth,dependable,stiff.
Boxxer lighter,nearly as plush,always be wondering.
Either will be brilliant but the zochhi will just feel right. If weights an issue and you've done everything else to get the weight down then get the Boxxer.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Personally I'd go Boxxer 'cause of the weight. My next fork (soon to be) will be a Boxxer Team because it's got coil reliability and Boxxer weight/damping. I would recommend it and it's roughly half the price of the WC, which is the real reason I'm considering it. There are a few new ones in the suspension buy and sell.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Plus as a fellow Demo owner I can say you want to keep your fork short (like a Boxxer) to keep that BB down for cornering.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
the new boxxer are barely even related to the hated 03/04 boxxers. the new one's are getting nothing but praise. light. freeridable. race ready. great dampening, and so far... reliable. that being said, i have a shiver on my bike right now haha. haven't ridden one yet but i am curious.