Quantcast

06 Stinky DeeLux review

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
2006 Medium Stinky DeeLux

Set up: all stock except Thomson seatpost and Kenda Nevegal tires. The standover height on the 06 Stinky is super low (The medium frame sports a 15.5" seat tube length). The new machined rocker arms are sweet looking!

The ride:
In the parking lot the bike cornered and accellerated well. After I got it home, I took it out for some urban drops. The fork (888vf) stunk at first and kept bottoming out. After changing out the oil for a heavier wt and adding some volume (a long process of trial and error) the fork actually feels fine now. I plan to upgrade the fork.

Now for the real test: A long and varied day in Auburn...

At the ARD dirt jumps it felt fairly light and balanced. Railing through the berms and pumping between jumps felt great (for a 7 inch fully).

Next, I took it off a 10'+ drop. I was a little amped and overshot the transition. The bike took it like a champ and I held my line. The next run at it produced the same result...amped, overshot, but stomped the landing.

Now for the pedaling... we climbed to the top of the Culvert trail. The DHX shock filtered out all noticable pedal feedback but I still couldn't help but notice that the bike does weigh 41lbs+. Thank God for the 24X32 granny!

The Culvert trail was a blast on the Stinky! Great small bump sensitivity as well as swallowing bigger rocks with ease. We emptied back out on the lower confluence trail. The Stinky sprinted well and pedaled through the rough sections easily. The front end was easily hoisted over larger obstacles and the BB/pedal clearance seemed adequate.

Now more pedalling... we grunted up the fireroad on ****side and then returned on a trail that was super tight and technical. THe stinky exuded all kinds of confidence...what a blast.

Bottom line: Great Bike, great build kit, buy it! :thumb: (but upgrade the fork).