Quantcast

'06 TLD lids

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Lex said:
I'd be interested to see if there is any difference between the old Bell helmets and the new ones. I would guess not. Prices have come down because of the massive quantities they sell.

The Mad Max used to come in a carbon version only, which was pretty damn expensive, and they eliminated that in favor of the ones available now. I don't think the designs are any different, though. The cost reduction came at the expense of the carbon and the removable padding. Now they've re-released the carbon ones for about half of what they used to cost and every version has removable/washable pads.

The old ballestic is very different i still have one. It as hand made, had a much better face guard, fit better at the time they had that little air pump system in it, which while helping the fit may actually have helped in lower speed impacts. The reason both of them were so expensive was they were hand made and higher quality. Mass productions means cheaper at a price.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Zutroy said:
The old ballestic is very different i still have one. It as hand made, had a much better face guard, fit better at the time they had that little air pump system in it, which while helping the fit may actually have helped in lower speed impacts. The reason both of them were so expensive was they were hand made and higher quality. Mass productions means cheaper at a price.
I still don't think a company like Bell or Giro would sell a helmet that doesn't meet the same impact standards that those earlier helmets met. How old is the Bell you have? I had my first Bell in 1998 and I'm pretty sure it was the same thing they are selling now.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Lex said:
I still don't think a company like Bell or Giro would sell a helmet that doesn't meet the same impact standards that those earlier helmets met. How old is the Bell you have? I had my first Bell in 1998 and I'm pretty sure it was the same thing they are selling now.

I'm guess it's a 96 if i remember right. I'll shoot a pic when i get home from work today. I have a newer sytle one i can compare it against. The thing is they don't test helmets to max impact load. It's just a set load, pass or no pass, so you really don't know how well it works beyond passing the test.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I'll try and post some pics of the line drawings of the helmets today, although I doubt they're going to do the production stuff justice. Last year we saw the line drawings for the '05 helmets and were fairly impressed, but when the production stuff came out, we were floored at the finish quality of the graphics, specifically the carbon flame helmets . . . they actually look like a custom paint job. If you haven't seen one in person, they are pretty darn amazing, the attention to detail and small additions are what make the graphics on TLD stuff stand out in the crowd.

As far as protection goes, the idea of moto vs mtb lids has been discussed on here endlessly, and, to be honest, I don't think anybody on the board has the right knowledge to really state the differences in protection between the two models. Or in how damage occurs to the brain or skull at a very sophisticated level.

The best argument for the D2 (besides the fact that they fit most people better than other MTB helmets on the market) is to consider that 90% of the pro field, at least here in the States, wears them. And almost all of that 90% has to pay for them. You can still get style points and the TLD logo from the SE moto helmet, but those guys buy the D2. I know I'm going to get a gang of people jumping down my throat by using the pro analogy, but this isn't sponsorship; these are riders who actually pay for a product because they feel it is the best option available. I will gladly be the first to state that the D2 costs a little more because of the logo on the visor, but nobody would buy them if they didn't protect well. I don't know if anybody else saw pictures of my crash at Deer Valley this year, but I went headfirst down the waterfall straight to my head, landing on an intersection of root and rock, then got crushed by my bike. It wasn't a high-speed crash, but it was enough to make me double-check my senses before I picked my bike up. My neck was sore the next day, and I was a bit worried about being able to finish my run (which I did, in the top 30 :D ), but my head was fine. No stars, no dizziness, no nausiousness. If anybody else can think of a better way to recommend a helmet than to crash really hard in one right to your head, and walk away completely unscathed, I'd like to hear it.

Plus they make you look fast, and we all know that if you can't really ride that fast, you can still look pro and feel good about it (since downhillers are all about fashion). ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
POST ONLY PHOTOS FROM THIS POINT FORWARD!!!!!

I don't want any more opinions...only pictures...I had to read 3 pages of whining...and still not see a photo...everybody shut your pie holes til James posts 'em...

THANKS! :thumb:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
thaflyinfatman said:
If you're not worried about your head, then why are you wearing a helmet at all?
Cos they won't let me race without one?

Actually yeah, I am worried about my head and the D2 does offer significantly more protection than my old helmet (a 661 Full Comp). I would have bought a Carbon Mad Max had I not won the D2 but I'm not about to throw out a comfortable, cool helmet that doesn't have anything wrong with it.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
The way 99% of all helmet threads progress, I wonder if most of you haven't been wearing a plastic sack full of packing peanuts for a helmet.

Wear what you like, buy for value, buy for looks, who cares. You're buying a helmet for you. Wearing what fits and is going to protect your bean is the most important thing here. If you can spend $100 and do it great, if you want to spend $400 to do it great.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
thaflyinfatman said:
I know you are but what am I?
I hope everyone realized I was just joking! :)

Helmet threads always end up with people bickering about which helmet is the very very bestest coolest helmet on the planet. When it comes right down to it, there is no one best helmet. There are too many factors to consider from fit the price. A $400 troy lee helmet is great, but if it doesn't fit you right it's worthless. A $100 base model helmet by a reputable company may not be as cool as the fancy model that costs 4x as much, but if it's all you can afford and it fits you properly, isn't it going to do the trick in "most" situations? And on the same token, if the only helmet that you can find that fits your nogging properly is really expensive, you better figure out how to buck up and get it because you might as well not waste your money on anything less.

And then you have to look at the arguement of does every riding situation necesitate the most stiff/strong helmet on the planet (like others have pointed out in the past can be less effective at absorbing smaller more regular impacts)? This of course relates to the moto vs. MTB specific arguement. We all have our opinions about this. Again, it comes down to knowing yourself and knowing what type of riding you are most often doing.

Helmet choice is a personal choice, based on fit, cost, and asthetic preferrences. Nobody is going to find THIER perfect helmet on the internet, and hearing things like "The "insert helmet model here" fits me great, it'll be great for you too," just cracks me up.

I only get involved in these threads because I am a closet helmet buster and have a lot of opinions about helmets. But, these opinions have been formulated by looking at how I ride, how I break helmets, and when I have or haven't gotten concussions when they broke. It all comes down to knowing yourself and choosing the right helmet for you, not because your buddy said it was great.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
SHUT UP ALREADY!!! BACK TO '06 PICS
Didn't see a TLD moto helmet to match the '06 jersey and pants....diabetics and those with heart conditions look elsewhere..the colors could trigger something...

Thor breaking off the same in monochrome:

And of course ...name dropping my own sponsors never hurts...TANG!!!

BEEEEESS....they're all over me....AHHHHH!!!

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Okay okay okay. Here are SE images, still trying to figure out what I did with the D2 line drawings.

SE 3X Blue:

SE 3X Black:

SE 3X Red:

SE 3X Silver:

SE Machine:

Stunt Grey:

Stunt Pink:

Stunt White:

Stunt Yellow:

I will find the D2 pics. And you will be impressed.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Guntruck said:
I've never really liked any of the TLD paintjobs personally. Too much going on.. stars swooshes etc.... I want a plain carbon one like Two1 has.
i really dont like moto graphics, but love the shape, the carbon (yes, i'm a victim) and fit of the d2, so i wetsanded the graphics off & re-clearcoated the carbon - looks hot.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
:drool: Machine, Grey, or Black/Pink are my fav. Now I just need to rob a bank. Eventhough the Black/pink is played out I still have think it looks cool. Probly the best chick helmet of '06 and forsure the freerider delight.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ncrider said:
OMG :eek: How sick is this shot! Windam is straight up dragging his bar/wrest around this corner. Bad ass.
yeah...I had to put that one in for the style points alone!!
www.transworldmotocross.com has INSANE galleries. NoFear's whole '06 line is awesome but I won't waste everybody's time when they can just go to www.nofearmx.com . Anybody notice that this week RC is sporting the green/yellow Fox gear that Bubba normally wears EVERY week, but now that Bubba is out RC is in it??? Controversy....?? Mockery? Slap in the face for landing on RC's back last week??? :sneaky:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
take a solid color D2 or Carbon, give 'er a TLD flame outline entirely of that prismy rainbow-esque stuff, and you'll really have something going on.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
xy9ine said:
i really dont like moto graphics, but love the shape, the carbon (yes, i'm a victim) and fit of the d2, so i wetsanded the graphics off & re-clearcoated the carbon - looks hot.
So you took off the clearcoat with wet sandpaper and put a fresh clearcoat on it? I've wanted to stealth my D2 carbon like this but am too chicken sh*t to do it :p

How did you do it exactly and do you have any photos of the result?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
After just getting a concussion and breaking my D2, Ive decided to go moto, this is what I got, could have gotten a TLD but this things just about the same for $50 less and better looking IMO:

Dan

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
rockymt21 said:
After just getting a concussion and breaking my D2, Ive decided to go moto, this is what I got, could have gotten a TLD but this things just about the same for $50 less and better looking IMO:
Dan
wow...they even left it unpainted but drew lines so you could color it in yourself without help...that was nice of them..... :monkey:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
yup the Fox V3 is pretty sweet. Cheaper than the TLD SE, lighter and damn good looking. I've found them for $295 (google froogle).

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Zark said:
So you took off the clearcoat with wet sandpaper and put a fresh clearcoat on it? I've wanted to stealth my D2 carbon like this but am too chicken sh*t to do it :p

How did you do it exactly and do you have any photos of the result?
the helmet is a few years old & cosmetically sihtkicked; i was on the verge of getting a new one, so i figured i had nothing to loose. it just took a bunch of tedious wetsanding. i started with 320 grit & went finer once the graphics were gone. i then clearcoated several coats with tremclad (just happened to be in the cupboard - a quality automotive clear would probably be more durable). make sure you mask the styrofoam prior to spraying (paint solvents dissolve it). its not perfect, but good enough for me.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
PAMS 25 said:

So the second helmet looks based off Aprils helmet from this year and the third looks very similiar to (flames and troy lee designs graphic painted on the side) to Graves helmet from this year.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Looks like they've incorporated the SE roost guard deal for '06 in the D2. I can't wait to see the carbon ones... just about anything will be an improvement over the '05's flames.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
IronJim said:
does anybody have pics of the carbon helmets?
Apparently, TLD isn't doing the tradition carbon/non-carbon split this year. Of those three designs shown, each of them will have a carbon version available, with a similar paint scheme but unique-to-carbon color coding. For example, the first blue swirly helmet shown has a carbon version with the same paint pattern but I think it's black and silver instead of blue.

Pams, where did you get those pics? We still only have line drawings.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
James | Go-Ride said:
Apparently, TLD isn't doing the tradition carbon/non-carbon split this year. Of those three designs shown, each of them will have a carbon version available, with a similar paint scheme but unique-to-carbon color coding. For example, the first blue swirly helmet shown has a carbon version with the same paint pattern but I think it's black and silver instead of blue.

Pams, where did you get those pics? We still only have line drawings.
....uh...ohh.....somebody's not in the "clique"? :oink:

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK, SICK.

I want one. How far off is Christmas?