Quantcast

07 66 Sl1

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
really you'll have to go to the MTBR forums. they've discussed the 66SL a ton. just do a search.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
There are two grooves in the top cap of both the 66 and 888 SL ATA's. Housed between the two pockets on both sides there is a set screw, small spring, and ball bearing that act as adjustable spring plungers to preload the detents on the ATA rod.

There is not much material in the aluminum top cap where these parts are housed, and if tolerancing is off or the drill holes walked on the round stock (this is most likely the case) then when they do the tap process for the set screw, it can break through the aluminum ever so slightly. (This may have been corrected with later forks). The result was that the fork would hiss and spit up a little oil that would ever time collect in the top cap. There is no damper in the ATA side of the fork, only a little oil in the fork leg for lubrication so it isn't anything that will damage the fork, but if you do run into this problem Marz will fix it. What I have seen from Marz and what I did with my 888 was just fill the grooves with a metal epoxy and it has been fine since.

As far as people having the ATA adjuster turn on them when riding, just pop open the top cap and tighten the set screws. You can effectively lock the fork at any point in its travel adjustment range by tightening these set screws.

Hope this helps.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I ordered one yesterday. A couple people in the freeride forum talking of leaks. Anyone have problems?
no air leak problem, but mine has lost about 15mm or travel or so. I've been emailing zoke and they said they had a problem with a few and i just need to ship it back and get the ATA catridge replaced. Still waiting for address and RMA number or what not. So should all be worked out. Fork is light as hell and feels great though other than that. And it's been holding up to some big hits nicely.
-Dan

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
There are two grooves in the top cap of both the 66 and 888 SL ATA's. Housed between the two pockets on both sides there is a set screw, small spring, and ball bearing that act as adjustable spring plungers to preload the detents on the ATA rod.

There is not much material in the aluminum top cap where these parts are housed, and if tolerancing is off or the drill holes walked on the round stock (this is most likely the case) then when they do the tap process for the set screw, it can break through the aluminum ever so slightly. (This may have been corrected with later forks). The result was that the fork would hiss and spit up a little oil that would ever time collect in the top cap. There is no damper in the ATA side of the fork, only a little oil in the fork leg for lubrication so it isn't anything that will damage the fork, but if you do run into this problem Marz will fix it. What I have seen from Marz and what I did with my 888 was just fill the grooves with a metal epoxy and it has been fine since.

As far as people having the ATA adjuster turn on them when riding, just pop open the top cap and tighten the set screws. You can effectively lock the fork at any point in its travel adjustment range by tightening these set screws.

Hope this helps.
:cheers:

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I had the above leaking problems too.
Zoke fixed it over Christmas for me and I was back riding and bangin around.
Great feeling, super adjustable fork!
Love it.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I have one as well.
I didn't use it for long, replaced it with a 888RC.
But I think I might throw it back on soon for some pedaling.

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
mine leaked air out of the cap on the ata side. i did not pay for a top of the line fork to be leaking on the first ride, so i had them fix it rather than look for quick fixes. it has been gone for about two weeks and should be back to me within a week probably.

i know this fork will be worth it once i get it back on, but damn they screwed me out of 3 weeks of great riding time.

p.s. DONT LOOK AT YOUR COMP ADJUSTER WRONG... IT MAY DECIDE TO JUMP OFF, OR CRACK OR BEND. AND DONT LET THE WIND BEND IT OVER EITHER.
mine was broken before i opened the box.:disgust:

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
My 07 SL1 leaked air out of the ATA the first week of riding. I sent it back to Marzocchi...they fixed it and got it back to me in about 12 days. Good turn around time for this time of year.