Quantcast

'07 66RC2X and Headlock

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
So I just picked one of these up to replace my 888. I'm still waiting for parts to install it, but I'm disappointed that I won't be able to run my Headlock with this set-up (steerer tube is too narrow). Any thougts on running a star nut with a long-travel SC fork? I haven't used a star nut since '99 or so and my last experience wasn't the best. Any alternatives? Will I have any headset tightness issues? I know the star nut only preloads the bearings, but the Headlock was a nice insurance policy against front-end "looseness." Thanks.

Edit - I'll be running a Cane Creek Double XC headset and a Thomson X4 stem.

toby

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I ground down another one to fit into a fox 36 a while back. It was was a lot of work.
I thought about taking it to a machine shop to have them lathe the end plug of the Headlock down, but I'd need to have about 5mm removed.:shocked:

Maybe I'll the Hope Head Doctor as an alternative. I'm surprised that some company hasn't jumped on this yet. Seems like there is a need esp. with more forks using reinforced/tapered steerer tubes.

toby

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I have a 07 66 RC2X with a star nut, and have no issues. If your tightning the bolt to the starnut so tight that it moves up the steerer then your going to mess your headset bearings. They're not supposed to be tight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I thought about taking it to a machine shop to have them lathe the end plug of the Headlock down, but I'd need to have about 5mm removed.:shocked:

Maybe I'll the Hope Head Doctor as an alternative. I'm surprised that some company hasn't jumped on this yet. Seems like there is a need esp. with more forks using reinforced/tapered steerer tubes.

toby
Just try the starnut.

It might work. If it doesn't, then stress about an alternative.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
I run a BMX starnut with no issues. It's got a bigger, hollow top bolt that seems to be stronger than standard bolts. But yeah, just like others are saying, a star nut should work fine.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i made my own headlock for the same reason. costs about $1.50. go to lowes/home depot, pick up a 1/4" steel threaded rod, a 3/4"-1" spacer and some 1/4" nuts.
run the spacer on the bottom and the rod fits through your top cap. you can get creative with how you conceal the nut but it works great and you can save a bunch of $$. i've been running it that way for several years with no problems.

Sep 6, 2007
Dude, it's worth it to throw the spindle on a lathe sp.? go to any machine shop. I have a 05' 66 and I swear to god the headset will NEVER stay tight without the headlock. Trust me.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
What probs have people had with star nuts? Slipping? I have been fortunate enough to only ever have 1 problem - it was slipping and it was badly installed.

I gave up on headlok's - I dont see the point, it reallyis just to preload the bearings until the stem is tight - headsets really shouldnt loosen up (they do sometimes, or course) , so why all the extra material? It doesnt do a better job as far as I can tell. I have 3 in my toolbox now!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
if it doesn't do a better job than a starnut than why do all the starnuts strip out? my headset would come loose after every hard hit or long ride when i used a starnut, never had a problem with a bolt-through deal.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
if it doesn't do a better job than a starnut than why do all the starnuts strip out? my headset would come loose after every hard hit or long ride when i used a starnut, never had a problem with a bolt-through deal.
I've never had a starnut strip out. If they are installed right they don't move unless you're crushing your headset bearings. Including on my 06' 66. Got it the week they came out. Hasn't moved one millimeter in 2 years. I'm on my 3rd headset. You'd be an idiot to say a headlock doesn't work better but a moto tire would also have more traction. It's not necessary.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The point that concerns me is that, ideally (and recognizing things are not always ideal) you shouldnt need the headlock/starnut at all once the headset is preloaded and stem tightened. I have them on all my bikes now, and they get beat up and never loosen! I have never experienced a star nut stripping out personally.

If its heavier and doesnt do anything the starnut doesnt, what would make it better? I am genuinely asking and have used them historically but abandoned them ALL this year and havent had any issues.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've never had a starnut strip out. If they are installed right they don't move unless you're crushing your headset bearings.
Wrong.

It happens, even with proper tension. It just does.

Just consider yourself fortunate that you've never had problems with starnuts. Many people have.

Like I said before, I've got an uzzi with a starnut setup in a 66, and it's worked fine with no problems. But I can't keep the headset tight on my dh bike for sh1t without a headlock. There's a reason the things were invented.

And not all stems are created equal. Compare the clamping surface of something like a diabolus stem to a thomson 4x stem. There's WAY more surface to stick on the diabolus.......and hence a much better likelihood of it keeping the headset tight.

On bikes where a lot of excessive pounding occurs, things just get knocked around and sometimes slip. Which is why things like a headlock exist. Just because you've never had to deal with it doesn't mean other people don't know how to setup their bikes.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You realize you answered your own question right?

I had one loosen up this year, I tightened it, its OK.

Im a big guy, and not 'the man' but I beat Mr Bikey up and Ive never had an issue. I always used headloks because the people that 'converted' me from 'XC ride til you puke, then keep riding' to 'BANZAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII' led me that way -- Azonic Pedals and Bars, Headloks, Hayes Brakes, and 3" tires on 24" rims (I skipped that last one thank gawd, and the hayes were strong, but always wiggly levers and poor light modulation, I have switched to Easton bars, dropped the headlok, All avid brakes now, but open to w/e, and am pretty indifferent about pedals and wheels (so long as they're 26"))

HE!

So - like you said, if you find you need em, use em! If not, Dont!

I'll keep at least one of mine around in case things change...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Drill the threads out of one star nut, and use that one on top of another star nut. Then use a long bolt. Twice the holding power if you can't use a head-lock. I haven't had to try it, but that would be my next step before a head lock. Manimal's idea is cool too..

well ****, I got ahead of myself; if you guys are stripping them, that won't help.

There's always the oversized version starnut made for BMX bikes w/ front brakes that has some big 3/8 (or so) threads..

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Wrong.

It happens, even with proper tension. It just does.

Just consider yourself fortunate that you've never had problems with starnuts. Many people have.

Like I said before, I've got an uzzi with a starnut setup in a 66, and it's worked fine with no problems. But I can't keep the headset tight on my dh bike for sh1t without a headlock. There's a reason the things were invented.

And not all stems are created equal. Compare the clamping surface of something like a diabolus stem to a thomson 4x stem. There's WAY more surface to stick on the diabolus.......and hence a much better likelihood of it keeping the headset tight.

On bikes where a lot of excessive pounding occurs, things just get knocked around and sometimes slip. Which is why things like a headlock exist. Just because you've never had to deal with it doesn't mean other people don't know how to setup their bikes.

Really? Cause I spent 2 years as a shop mechanic. I've assembled hundreds of bikes. In my 12 years of riding I've had one starnut come loose and it was in at a wicked angle.

Jun 20, 2007
i made my own headlock for the same reason. costs about $1.50. go to lowes/home depot, pick up a 1/4" steel threaded rod, a 3/4"-1" spacer and some 1/4" nuts.
run the spacer on the bottom and the rod fits through your top cap. you can get creative with how you conceal the nut but it works great and you can save a bunch of $$. i've been running it that way for several years with no problems.
I run a long travel SC with star nut with no problems. If you are paranoid, do what this guy says and make your own.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I actually only had this problem with a King headset on a JR. T with a steel steerer. I've had no problems on my other forks.. so anyway, it's happened to me too. We should start a support group of people that will believe us.