Quantcast

07" 888 thread! reviews/tuning etc..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I know its a little early to be going to this style thread, but they are out and people are buying them already.

I went through and looked at a couple of other posts pertaining to the new trip 8's and it was a little premature for any real feedback other than "thats what he said" vs. I liked it or didn't.

1-I have a rc2x white 06 what is the main difference between the wc and it?
Is it just silver stanchions/gold lowers and ti springs and its 135g less. Is it worth the extra or is going with the air the biggest gain.
I like the 888WC but the weight of the 888 air has my intrest.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Is it just silver stanchions/gold lowers and ti springs and its 135g less. Is it worth the extra .

Yep.

But I think it's silver lowers not gold. is it worth it, no clue maybe if you have the $$$$!! Def. not worth it to me as a 06 888rc2x owner to upgrade. The 888 air is interesting but I haven't seen one review from the public. Buy one and let me know how it is.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
most certainly. :)

The WC is a sheer waste of money with the SL on offer.
How would an air fork work out for a 200lb+ rider? The idea scares the hell out of me, but I'd be interested in checking one out.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

I beg to differ. That is only if you like the feel of air forks. I havent heard rave reviews on the SL yet. In fact I have heard the opposite.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Where have you read these reviews, and what do they say?

And saying "not like the feel of air forks" isn't fair. I defy you to feel the difference between a Boxxer World Cup and a Boxxer Team when blindfolded.

Now, if you said the feel of a company's version of an air fork, well thats true. For example, I tihnk manitou does a **** job with thier air forks, but RockShox and Fox got it dialed.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...

Has anyone ridden on the different 888's? How much better is the quality of suspension with the RC2X? Is there a noticable difference in the performance? Anyone know the weight of the 888 WC?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
And saying "not like the feel of air forks" isn't fair. I defy you to feel the difference between a Boxxer World Cup and a Boxxer Team when blindfolded.
Random bit of info here: Several of the top guys run coils in their World Cups, due to the changes in spring rate with the heat generated over a full run. Mick Hannah for one has been known to ditch the air spring for this reason.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Random bit of info here: Several of the top guys run coils in their World Cups, due to the changes in spring rate with the heat generated over a full run. Mick Hannah for one has been known to ditch the air spring for this reason.

meaning: you fully sure bout that?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC

meaning: you fully sure bout that?
Yup. I wont go into my sources, and I will pont out that this applied to some of the early rounds. For all I know changes were made to rectify the problem. Further, it was by no means many, or even most riders that were doing this, just some.

Sorry to upset the WC lovers on here!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hey i was just trying to tap you for a bit more info! no wc-loving here although my hat is off to RS for that fork, its not quite there yet, but they sure took one big stride in the right direction with it.

id love to know what they did to "rectify" it though, because laws of physics kinda hard to bend, maybe it was "rectified" thru team orders?

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
How would an air fork work out for a 200lb+ rider? The idea scares the hell out of me, but I'd be interested in checking one out.
i'm 95kg and ordered my 888slata last week...read the zoke manual, and the pressures used for us heavy riders aren t that huge (around 170psi for the bottom out and some 20 less for the ata)...what i'm most stoked about is the weight savings and the ability to drop the fork to 160mm...:banana:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeti - if you could give your impressions here of what you think of the 888 SL-ATA that would be great - I'm thinking about picking one of these up at the end of 07' or possibly as an 08' model...

Very interested to see how this fork performs.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Yeti - if you could give your impressions here of what you think of the 888 SL-ATA that would be great - I'm thinking about picking one of these up at the end of 07' or possibly as an 08' model...

Very interested to see how this fork performs.
it s all in swiss custom's hands...and by then maybe it will depend on the weather until i can post some dh impressions...REALLY lookin forward to try this fork out. and don't worry, i will post my first impressions as soon as possible, though it might be based on riding down stairs:disgust:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
It seems that the 888 air is the biggest change in the line up. Apparently there has been some valving changes on the WC to enhance the smoothness along with the slippery silver stanchions. At 220lbs I don't think my current rc2x has a problem with being smooth, my weight overcomes that real quick.
What are if any real changes to the internals on the wc.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I got my 888SL in a week ago, and got my first ride in on it yesterday.
Am coming off of a broken arm though, so it was a pretty easy ride.

Initial impression is that this thing is pretty freakin cool. The ATA adjusts it between 160-200, instead of the 170-200 that I thought it would be. I weight 185 and found the factory reccomended pressures a bit much, and slowly let out pressure bit by bit.
Noticed it lightened the front end up a lot.

Will be another week or so before I'm good to really beat on her, and set it up.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
You can tune progressivity with a seperate lower air chamber, so you can set it up to do whatever you want.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I got my 888SL in a week ago, and got my first ride in on it yesterday.
Am coming off of a broken arm though, so it was a pretty easy ride.

Initial impression is that this thing is pretty freakin cool. The ATA adjusts it between 160-200, instead of the 170-200 that I thought it would be. I weight 185 and found the factory reccomended pressures a bit much, and slowly let out pressure bit by bit.
Noticed it lightened the front end up a lot.

Will be another week or so before I'm good to really beat on her, and set it up.
How is the small bump action? Much stiction? How smoothly does it ramp up?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
It seems that the 888 air is the biggest change in the line up. Apparently there has been some valving changes on the WC to enhance the smoothness along with the slippery silver stanchions. At 220lbs I don't think my current rc2x has a problem with being smooth, my weight overcomes that real quick.
What are if any real changes to the internals on the wc.

hey i just checked the exploded views and it seems the compression cartridge remains the same but the RC cartridge has a new part number, will report back on whats changed.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Kinda undecided between 888 wc and the air version. I have the 888rc2x 06 and I love it but the wc looks slick and the new air is light.
If you had the $ which would it be?

i honestly dont know and its pissing me off since i have to spec forks for my riders, the great thing is that just within one lineup there are several choices. the idea is to use the 66 and the 888, i think most likely the 66sl-ata for easier or more pedally courses and the wc as mainstay dh setup but then again maybe gamble on the 888sl ata to do it all, ill let the back of my head work on that for the weekend i think.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
i honestly dont know and its pissing me off since i have to spec forks for my riders, the great thing is that just within one lineup there are several choices. the idea is to use the 66 and the 888, i think most likely the 66sl-ata for easier or more pedally courses and the wc as mainstay dh setup but then again maybe gamble on the 888sl ata to do it all, ill let the back of my head work on that for the weekend i think.
if my 888slata doesn t arrive next week expect me to be waiting for ur wisdom.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive heard from a couple people that their 888 SL is super hard to tune, only a few psi makes a huge difference. Both have said they cant get it to "feel right"....yet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'll post it tonight once its on. I am going to stick my Hayes mag on till tue/wed when the adapter comes in for the hopes.

I am also going to weigh it side by side on a digital scale the 07 wc vs. the 06 rc2x (white) for accuracy.

From compression right out of the box THIS THING IS SMOOTH!

Not to mention looks sweet, gotta love the stanchions and the pewter/gold color is pretty slick.
I got a Danger Boy direct mount stem for it as well.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
!st real tid bit of tips:
Hope brake adapter (mono 6ti) 205mm rotor size is part #HBSP149:mar (QBP #) airbomb stocks em.
This is for mono 6ti's to the 888's and probably the 66's as well.
Yup, same adaptor used to mount on Manitou/Shermans. Pretty easy to find.

How is the small bump action? Much stiction? How smoothly does it ramp up?
Ramps up nice and smooth. Can be set up to be linear or progressive, depending on how much air you put in the lower chamber. So far, small bump absorbsion isn't as nice as the Avy, but I'm still playing with pressures...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I'm mostly curious how it compares to the Boxxer world cup. I find marz and Manitou to be kinda far behind Fox and Rockshox with thier air technology, always feels sticky. Could just be me.