Quantcast

07 Demo 71 Or 07 BigHit FSR3?

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I am spankin new to DH. These bikes are my options. I realy like to free ride also but I think the main function of the bike should be down hill. Any one got an opinion pros cons ect.?

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
As framesets they are pretty similar.
The bighit has more travel.
Once the suspension sags the angles are going to be pretty similar (the demo with a 7" fork bighit with 8" fork), with the demo7 having slightly better DH geo (slacker and lower).

Its mentioned in another recent post that there is a spacer on the demo7s shock that when removed increases the rear travel to 7.7 so the difference in rear travel is only 0.5".

FYI: The big hit is an excellent frameset that some racers choose over the Demo8 last year.

As complete bike the demo7 1 is much nicer Bighit 3.
The bighits spec is heavy and has the 888RCV fork with crappy dampers.

Value wise the Bighit frameset is much better than the demo7.

But you really havent said alot about what riding you do.

My DH bike is a demo9 reason being that I wanted a bike for all day resort riding, to minimise arm pump and general fatigue so I can ride the lift all day long.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I mainly ride agro single track on a hard tail. About a year ago started DJ. It's just progressed to this. I have only had a fully for a couple of months and now I am hooked. I just want something bigger.I want a bike that is fast, I can jump/huck, and can take my stupid mistakes.

Also I live in the south east so there is nothing super gnarley around.But, I will be traveling to snowshoe and what not.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A Big Hit would probably be fine, but if you've got the cash, the Demo is a better bike.

Have you considered the SX Trail? Lighter, more compact, better all-around performance and it can handle DH as well.

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
Big hits are pretty nice. I ride a bighit w/ the 24" rear wheel at snowshoe quite frequently and it holds up fine. people will say they're not as good as a demo, which im sure is true, but its a pretty nice bike, and the suspension works very well. I just got new bearings for mine and ill be riding it up there all this season. The new ones have 26" rears so thats a plus, cuz tires for 24s are harder to get.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i would try to steer you toward an sx trail for the riding style you mentioned. One of the riders on my team races an sxt and he is stupid fast on it. of the demo7 and the bighit I would vote the demo.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Get the Demo. As good as the big hits are, you are buying older technology. I rode one of the new Demo's last year down Whistler...easily the sickest bike i have been on. It could be thrown around easier than my 06 Demo8, and it felt just as stable in the fast choppy stuff. Dare I say, the rear end felt even stiffer.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
I'm definitely a fan of the Demo's. I ride an SX trail, and it's just a rock solid bike. You definitely would have more growing room (ability wise) on the demo because I think it has a more versatile position (race, fr, big hucks). I've ridden everything in their downhill/freeride lineup, except for the demo 7, and I really can't say anything bad about any of them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As framesets they are pretty similar.
The bighit has more travel.
Once the suspension sags the angles are going to be pretty similar (the demo with a 7" fork bighit with 8" fork), with the demo7 having slightly better DH geo (slacker and lower).

Its mentioned in another recent post that there is a spacer on the demo7s shock that when removed increases the rear travel to 7.7 so the difference in rear travel is only 0.5".

FYI: The big hit is an excellent frameset that some racers choose over the Demo8 last year.

As complete bike the demo7 1 is much nicer Bighit 3.
The bighits spec is heavy and has the 888RCV fork with crappy dampers.

Value wise the Bighit frameset is much better than the demo7.

But you really havent said alot about what riding you do.
Everything he said^^

I'm waffling back and forth between demos 7&8 and a bighit myself.

Based on geo numbers, they're all the same freakin bike.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Get the Demo. As good as the big hits are, you are buying older technology. I rode one of the new Demo's last year down Whistler...easily the sickest bike i have been on. It could be thrown around easier than my 06 Demo8, and it felt just as stable in the fast choppy stuff. Dare I say, the rear end felt even stiffer.
dammit ash, where have you been hiding. found a sick trail by our place. you should come rip with us b4 you go back to whistler

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Everything he said^^

I'm waffling back and forth between demos 7&8 and a bighit myself.

Based on geo numbers, they're all the same freakin bike.
Yeah, big reason why I would like to go with the 7. Having the big HT will give you even more options with the forks.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
if you're buying the frame, the demo frames are ridiculously overpriced. they're not handmade or anything and yet specialized is really trying to get a ton of cash for them. if you've never owned a full suspension, make sure you go test these bikes because coming off of a hardtail, you really don't want to buy too much bike for yourself. i think the sx trail is the nicest rig specialized makes, but if you really want downhill, then the demo 7 is better because of the nice geo.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Lots of work. No play. Have to fund Whistler.

You going to PA this weekend?

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Hey stephen, guess ASH isnt a drug lord, he actually works now! haha
well my bike should be here thursday, so maaybe. Is your cell # still the same?

But to stay on topic, i would vote the demo, they are really sick bikes this year.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Lots of work. No play. Have to fund Whistler.

You going to PA this weekend?

Sorry to hijack the thread.
no, I'm not going to be able to. have to save money for entry fees. you should come down to UW tonight, there's going to be a bunch of peeps out.

edit: wow sniped

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
When my M1 bites the dust I'll probably go with a Bighit not only due to now they have 26" rear wheels (should have all along) but everything geometry wise is similar to the other Demo's. And for $1100 frameset with a lifetime warranty you can't beat it.

I dunno how great the DHX 4.0 is.....but you can probably find 5.0's around for not much $$$ or DHX Air's. If they just didn't have doo-doo brown as the color for it....

Demo 9's I liked alot along with the 8's. But as far as a frameset went they were $$$ and even in the used market they still aren't cheap. I don't really like the looks of the newer ones for some reason. I'd probably decide between and Enduro SX OR a Bighit.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Money is not the issue. It is a long sooopid story but, think of the demo 7 and bighit3 costing the same and hundreds of dollars cheaper than the SX. Dont ask.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
demo, case closed. about the only reason I can see for going with the bighit over the demo is money, and since that isn't an issue...

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
prices aren't anywhere near the same.

Demo 7 I - 3300
Bighit III - 2800

that's a 500 dollar difference.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
he said for him prices are the same. he's prolly got some sort of hook up. or he's on the bike black market.

post some action pics once you get it