Quantcast

07 Demos Can the travel be increased??

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
Hi, I was looking on here about a month ago & found a thread that said that by removing a spacer in the shock the travel can be incresed, I have been looking for this thread ever since but can't seem to find it, so hence the post. I find it hard to beleve because I have never heared of anything like this before, so if someone could inform me it would be greatly appreshated.

Thanks for your time..........

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
The plastic travel spacer is clipped to the shock shaft. Unclip it and you have 7.7" of travel. Inclag and I have Demo 7's and he tested w/o a spring for clearence at bottom out and it was fine.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Just the 7 had the retainer from my understanding. My guess is that they wanted to be able to differenciate the 7 and the 8 like all of the previous Demos with the travel.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
does anyone have a pic of this peice? i cant understand why specialized wouldn't just design the frame around a smaller shock to get less travle.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Demo8 frames have a 1 1/8" headtube, the demo7 has a 1.5".
sorry I was too lazy/did not care enough, to type a more explicit answer..they do have different head tubes and most likely a different shock shuttle.....but none of those items require a re-design, or re-engineering of the bike, like two truely different frames would.

Relative angles are the same, front lengths are the same, rear lengths are the same...they are close enough that they are most likely made on the same jig with 99% of the same parts, by the same people, without any addidional training..saves Spec money, on an already quite expensive (when compared to other overseas vs. domestic frame prices) frame.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
What is the size and stroke of the demo 7 shock without the spacer? I have a buddy looking for a new bike. The demo 7 1 might be in his price range if you can bump the travel up to almost 8"

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
the demo 7 also has a shorter shock length at 8.5 eye to eye and the demo 8 has a shock length of 8.75. the geo is also a bit different in that the demo 7 is slightly steeper then demo 8. but the travel can be increased on the demo 7 from 7" to 7.7"