Quantcast

'07 Enduro/SX and dual crown

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Can the '07 Enduro handle a 7" Dorado or Fox 40 or does it void the warranty? I'm looking for a do it all bike that can easily be converted from 6-7" and raced DH a couple times a year.

Jan 10, 2007
east bay
ive seen the pros ride an sx with a boxxer air but i think rockshox had it converted to seven which i dont know how to do. But you could put a 40 on it and lower it to seven and it should be fine. but no dorado just because its a manipoo...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
06 guide says that SX, and regular Enduros can take 160mm or less. The SX trail can take 175mm (6.9") up front. One of the guys on MTBR said that the Spesh tech told him that there is a 10% tolerance, but I would get it in writing if you are going over the specs above just to cover your arse.

There are a couple of Enduro's posted on MTBR with SX Trails w/Dorados too FWIW.

With the release of all of the big travel sc forks, I would go with a Totem or 66 since they are lighter and will improve you turning.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
06 guide says that SX, and regular Enduros can take 160mm or less. The SX trail can take 175mm (6.9") up front. One of the guys on MTBR said that the Spesh tech told him that there is a 10% tolerance, but I would get it in writing if you are going over the specs above just to cover your arse.

There are a couple of Enduro's posted on MTBR with SX Trails w/Dorados too FWIW.

With the release of all of the big travel sc forks, I would go with a Totem or 66 since they are lighter and will improve you turning.
Are the Enduro and Trail not the same frame with different stroke shocks? I think it'd be a killer dh rig either way.

Can you convert the SX Trail to a 6" travel bike like the Enduro?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
iirc, the sx trail has a stronger headtube area and chainstays than the regular enduro.

i've ridden an 06(i think) enduro with a dorado on it and the bike felt great with that setup.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sherpa,
Get the SX trail over the regular enduro if you are gonna use if for anything DH. The bike feels sick, and the SX trail will not hold you back on the DH.
As far as forks, my 40 set at 7 inches is actually too low for real DH stuff. My BB is coming in a good bit under 14, and my bar is like XC low. I am raising it back up. People are running Totems on the SX trails and loving it, and there is only a 5 mm difference in axle to crown between the Totem and an 8 inch Fox 40.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yo Jeremy, could you please please please (with a cherry on top) post a pic of your SX in DH mode?

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Are the Enduro and Trail not the same frame with different stroke shocks? I think it'd be a killer dh rig either way.

Can you convert the SX Trail to a 6" travel bike like the Enduro?
My understanding is that the 05's were the same, but Spesh made some updates. The 07 SXT has a beefed up chainstay and a more slack geometry. I'm haven't heard anything about a beefed up ht though.

I have the 06 Expert and changed out with the longer shock to give it more travel. It feels sweet, but the geo isn't quite as slack as the Trail. Overall I'm really happy with the rig, but like the others said I would go with the SXT if you want to do more DH style stuff vs trail riding.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I had no problems with mine, I would buy them again. They went from an Enduro to a Big Hit to an SX to a DOC to a Stumpjumper and lasted great.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I had no problems with mine, I would buy them again. They went from an Enduro to a Big Hit to an SX to a DOC to a Stumpjumper and lasted great.
I have had better luck with those XT cranks than any other DH cranks I have ever used. I raced a set for a full season on my dh bike.
A season in which I cracked a frame, blew up back wheels Kovarik style, and turned a few pedal axles into L's.
Then I took that crankset off and have been using it for a year and half on my trail/slalom bike which sees most of my riding. All with the original bottom bracket cups.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I was never a fan of how the XT 760 left crank arm attached. '07 XTR 970 hit the nail on the head with the bolt-through design and preload adjustment.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, that's a good point. I actually forgot about a time my left arm fell off at the top of Mammoth Mountain, that wasn't fun. I think the problem with the old ones was the plastic cap, though. Apparently the metal ones off road cranks are a lot better.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Blaming the plastic cap for your crank arm coming off is like blaming your headset cap for your stem coming off... Tighten the pinchbolts people....

Wish the SX Trail was available as a frame in good old Oz.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
The '07 Enduro and SX Trails frames look exactly the same.

Does anyone know if the Enduros any lighter?