Quantcast

07 Sunday Factory frames

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
wow they look alot better than the pictures ive seen so far, no you just have to choose green or white/red.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
the white and red factory looks passable

still dont understand why they speced the full bike with such low front chain ring 36T?? if you want to run bigger you need to get a new guide. I almost run out of gears with the 40T

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Here on the East coast 36 is perfect at least that is my experience and it give you more clearence to the ground. I don't see how you run out of gears if you run a small road cassette?

Oct 19, 2001
Small road cassettes don't give you any harder gears, they just take away some of the easy ones making everthing tighter spaced. The smallest cog on the back of a road or mtb will both be in the range of 11-12 tooth.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Small road cassettes don't give you any harder gears, they just take away some of the easy ones making everthing tighter spaced. The smallest cog on the back of a road or mtb will both be in the range of 11-12 tooth.

most road cassettes start with a 12 tooth small cog, or at least that is what is most commonly found on people's bikes... sometimes an 11 is a bit harder to find.

also the cog make the biggest difference... a 36x11 is bigger than a 38x12 that a lot of people run.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
there's a thread already were ska todd describes chain length.

personally i'm switching to a 36t and speed pedaling my way down the mtn

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

still dont understand why they speced the full bike with such low front chain ring 36T?? if you want to run bigger you need to get a new guide. I almost run out of gears with the 40T
You can just get a new Supercharger or an Lg1 conversion kit. You don't need to get a whole new guide! :cheers:

I settled on a 36 this year. Maybe the people that I ride with and I spin fast, but we are SCREWING with a 36-11 topped out.

Dave

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
most road cassettes start with a 12 tooth small cog, or at least that is what is most commonly found on people's bikes... sometimes an 11 is a bit harder to find.

also the cog make the biggest difference... a 36x11 is bigger than a 38x12 that a lot of people run.

Actually most road cass have an 11 these days.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
It has been mentioned many times before but people just do not seem to get it. You can get going pretty damn fast with a 36t ring. The difference is so minor that almost no one can really tell. You might think you can but try it out and see. I experimented this year with ring sizes for the first time in a while. I got so used to running 36t rings that I never even questioned it, but for a few of the high speed courses this year I wondered how much more speed could be attained by using a bigger ring.
So I swapped up to a 40t ring and went out for a run. The first thing I noticed was how much more of a pain in the ass it was to get moving. But once I got up to speed I had a mental note over where I topped out my 36t ring. With the 40t ring I was only able to pedal an extra 10-15 ft before that topped out as well. In my opinion I was losing much more time by accelerating slower than by being able to pedal that extra 10 ft. The top speed that you can reach with a 36-11 is barely even a few(5-6) kph difference than a 40-12.

The way I look at it is if it works for Sam and Peaty then it will be plenty enough for me.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
You can just get a new Supercharger or an Lg1 conversion kit. You don't need to get a whole new guide! :cheers:

I settled on a 36 this year. Maybe the people that I ride with and I spin fast, but we are SCREWING with a 36-11 topped out.

Dave
so i take it the boomerang size doesnt limit the maximum chainring you can run on the SRS?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
so i take it the boomerang size doesnt limit the maximum chainring you can run on the SRS?
The guide was designed with maximum versatility in mind. All back plates can fit down to a 30T ring, and all SRS/ LG1 back plates can adjust to fit upto a 44T ring with a 2 second adjustment using a 3mm allen. Supercharger bashguard size determines the max size that the SRS can use.

Dave

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Not 9-speed ones. The most common is a 12-25 or a 12-27 from what I've seen.
12-25 is what most bike come stock with, but unless you live in a really hilly area, most races swap them out for 11-23, alot of the psycho crit guys run an 11-21. 11-25 is the new fad in 10spd cassettes.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have a 10T that acts as the lockring.

then you could run a 30 and still not spin out.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...

With the correct cassette (11- 23/11-21) you shouldn't have a problem running out of gears. We have been running this setup on our team all year in the US and didn't run the legs out, even on tracks like Snowmass and Vermont.
This setup gives you far more rock clearence which is essential for the low BB racer setup. And for the weight weenies there are savings too: smaller bash, smaller boomerang, smaller chainring, smaller cassette, shorter chain.
Props to IH for sticking with the "Hill" setup!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
With the correct cassette (11- 23/11-21) you shouldn't have a problem running out of gears.
The only part of the cassette that matters as far as "running out of gears" is the lower gear. So a 36 with an 11 is good, but that has nothing to do with the easy gears. An 11-34 would give the same top gear.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The only part of the cassette that matters as far as "running out of gears" is the lower gear. So a 36 with an 11 is good, but that has nothing to do with the easy gears. An 11-34 would give the same top gear.
But longer chain and RD cage... ;)

-ska todd

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i got it in 1994 thru paragon machine works i think.

payed $70! i payed for all my bike parts and that was all

I was into so money was no object when it came

to cool bike parts

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
So what is the different in the 07 frames, if any?
0.9 lbs lighter, totally new 6069 triple butted tubing, new forged 7075 links top and bottom, more chainguide clearance on the uprights, bolt in main pivots, 10mm self aligning shock hardware, and a pretty cool way of tightening down the lower shock pivot as tight as you want. And new graphics and stronger paint. ummmmmm I think thats it.

Dave

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
0.9 lbs lighter, totally new 6069 triple butted tubing, new forged 7075 links top and bottom, more chainguide clearance on the uprights, bolt in main pivots, 10mm self aligning shock hardware, and a pretty cool way of tightening down the lower shock pivot as tight as you want. And new graphics and stronger paint. ummmmmm I think thats it.

Dave
dave do you know the difference from last year in taiwan made frames?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
dave do you know the difference from last year in taiwan made frames?
The Taiwan frames are the same as the USA, with the only exception being that the tubeset is the 6061 version. The Taiwan bikes get the same links, uprights, shock hardware, bearings, etc...

Dave

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
The Taiwan frames are the same as the USA, with the only exception being that the tubeset is the 6061 version. The Taiwan bikes get the same links, uprights, shock hardware, bearings, etc...

Dave
Oh I should have clarified, I meant weight.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I've heard conflicting reports. Will the 07 links and hardware retrofit to the earlier 05-06 frames? I'm trying to decide on buying the links and a shock or switching to a new frame.