Quantcast

08 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
So, I've been roped into this insanity by a friend of mine. We're doing the (wince) 2-woman team. I know, I know. Don't even start. Yes, I've simply lost my mind.

I've never been out there, never seen the course. How close is the venue to Tucson?

Also, I'm looking for someone to be the team manager: monitor the race and the competing teams for times and lap counts, make sure lights are charging, etc. Any takers?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I did the race twice, once 5 person coed, once 4 person male...its an awesome awesome time!!

It's at least an hour from Tucson.

Buy me a plane ticket and I will manage!

ps: And I have experience at it, I crewed for a female solo 24 (she was ranked top 10 in the US at the time)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
RV is MUCH better than tents. You will want somewhere warm at night.

I'm gonna have to skip it again this year but I'm planning to be there in '09.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
The 24HOP course is about 45-miles North of Tucson, with the last 10-miles or so on a dirt road in varying states of condition, so as mentioned, expect an hour's travel time... more if from the airport. People bring their huge Bus RVs out so pretty much any vehicle can manage it. The earlier you get there the better as far as choice camping sites go. It was opened up to more people this year, so space is going to be at a premium. Camping CAN suck, but it's not too bad.

The course itself is roughly 16-miles, 70% singletrack and 30% jeep road, and all of it very easy. Only one slightly technical area (slickrock woohoo) that can be bypassed.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Southwest: Albany to Tucson and back= $198 roundtrip

That is cheaper then I paid in '05 or '06, and is damn tempting
I'll talk to my teammate and see what she says, and whether we are in a position to bring anyone out.

Upon reflection, I've really spun this the wrong way. I should've said: Now taking applications for the opportunity to crew for Sunny. We willl only charge the lucky winner a nominal fee for this amazing opportunity and adventure of a lifetime!

But that didn't occur to me till now. :(

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'll talk to my teammate and see what she says, and whether we are in a position to bring anyone out.

Upon reflection, I've really spun this the wrong way. I should've said: Now taking applications for the opportunity to crew for Sunny. We willl only charge the lucky winner a nominal fee for this amazing opportunity and adventure of a lifetime!

But that didn't occur to me till now. :(
:clapping: Hind-sight is always 20:20 ;)