Quantcast

08 4X WC, 09 Argyle 318 or 09 409??

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Trying to decide on what fork for my dj,urban,park bike. Choices are 08 marz 4X WC, RS Argyle 318 09, or Argyle 09 409? Anyone have suggestions or expirences?

Apr 30, 2006
I have an 08 4x. After lowering it to 80, it is the best fork I have used for jumping. I usually have about 50 in each leg, but I was told that 35-45 is normal. I would definitely recommend it and you can probably find it on sale new if it is still available.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I have an 08 4x. After lowering it to 80, it is the best fork I have used for jumping. I usually have about 50 in each leg, but I was told that 35-45 is normal. I would definitely recommend it and you can probably find it on sale new if it is still available.
stupid question but how do you lower the air fork?
I found a brand new 08 4x for $350 shipped which is a great deal but wasn't sure if the Argyle was a better choice.
the 318 coil version is $315 shipped and the air version 409 is $415 shipped

Apr 30, 2006
If you found the 4x that cheap...I would definitely go for it. I am not sure how to lower the fork, since it was done by a mechanic (I am really not mechanically inclined-it looked like he was putting spacers in) . It only took about five minutes for him to do, so it must not be too hard.

I have never ridden an Argyle (or any Rock Shox, for that matter), but I have heard mixed reviews on the Argyle. I think the 4x is a much better fork for the price, but I am pretty biased.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I am also biased but most of my marzocchi's have been coil. I have an 07 Corsa WC on my ss xc bike and had a z4 100mm air on my p2 that I could not kill. Other wise I have had all coil forks. the exception is an 05 fox van rlc 32 on my fs xc bike and a Pike 426 coil u-turn on my 4x/ds bike and I am very impressed with it took different springs to get it tuned right but I have no complaints. That is why I was thinking Argyle and I heard marzocchi had a bad run for 08 and 09. although I do have an o8 66 rc3 that is good to me. I jumped on the 08 4x wc because of the price but the instructions were not clear about the air in each leg. I looked at an 09 booklet and the instructions were clearer but don't know if the 08 and 09 are the same

Apr 30, 2006
This is the first air fork that I have ridden and I like having the air as an option. I wasn't able to get much from the instructions either (they really blow) but just in my use, it works very well for dirt jumps at around 50 in each leg, with a slower rebound.

I like that I can adjust how the fork feels based on what I want it to do in about five minutes, which I could not do with a coil fork. If I wanted my fork to feel more stiff on a coil, I had to get more oil, change out the spring....etc, but whatever I changed, I was kind of stuck with. This I can change when I get out the car at each trail.

I had a little knocking in mine (which did not affect performance) that was easily fixed with minor adjustments. So far, it has handled very well and has a smoother travel than my previous 04 Vanilla RLC. I have had some pretty decent over shoots on some jumps and I never felt squirly landing directly on the fork. I hadn't heard about the bad run on the 08-09 models, but the Marzocchi tech I talked to said the 08s are much better than the 09 model (it could be his opinion).