Quantcast

08' 888 ATA Problem

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
So here is the deal, I just got my 888 ATA today, since Marzocchi is known for sending the forks with the wrong oil volumes I decided to open the fork and verify them. the air leg went with no problem. When I tried to loose the bottom bolt off the rebound leg, it just keeps spinning, now I can't loose it or tighten it. What am I doing wrong??:confused::confused::confused:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The inside shaft is spinning with the foot nut. With coil versions, the solution is to compress the fork a bit (put your body weight into it) while unscrewing. With the air fork, best I can think of, let all the air out and completely bottom the fork. You might be able to put enought pressure on the cartrge to keep it from spinning inside.

I have also had luck by sort of emulating an impact wrench....that is jerking the nut very fast to get to move. Put your wrench/socket on the nut and hold in place. Now quickly whack the end of the wrench (ccw direction) with a mallet to try to jerk it a little bit...repeat...

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Do you even need to loosen that bolt to drain the oil? The reason I ask is my fork (888 ata wc) gets delivered today and I want to check the oil as well. I'm coming from an 05 888rc where you pop the top cap off an pour the oil out. Mind giving me a general step by step to get the oil changed on the new fork? It would be much appreciated. thanks.

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
No need to loosen the footnut.
Unscrew top caps, pour out the oil, refill, screw them back on.
that is what I did in the begging, but no oil came out at all, that is why I decided to unscrew the bottom bolt.

Does anybody knows if the 08 888 ATA has one or two cambers on the rebound side??

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Thats what I thought. I saw this footnut issue and got confused.
Either way will work all the same. With a new fork (no wheel, no brake) I actually think the foot nuts are easier access. Plus, I like to take the lowers off to check/clean/lube the seals every couple of oil changes.