Quantcast

'08 Gold Label too Soft

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Specs says it comes with an extra stiff spring. **** is so soft, and has a noticeable sag that pops a little bit when manualed. Any help?

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
talk to stoked... he swapped out his spring for some random one he found in a mattress...

Rather, he bought a spring from a spring company and swapped it in... no bottom out, and the fork performs extremely well.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Specs says it comes with an extra stiff spring. **** is so soft, and has a noticeable sag that pops a little bit when manualed. Any help?
yes the stock springs are soft. i picked up this spring with help from this forum. needless to say, the fork has been amazing since.
http://www.flat-stock.com/~store/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=SDS-DIE_SPG3&Category_Code=SDS

it's the gold spring size 1x12. travel will be really stiff but still work when you need it.

Graydog

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
H-Town
Where did you get the fork from? Ive seen Gold Labels bought off of Fleabay come with medium springs instead of the X-firm. Probably OEM takeoffs.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Stoked: Does it matter that I have the 80mm version? I saw that your fork is lowered on your bike check.
nope doesn't matter. the spring comes longer than you need it. the 1x12 will def accommodate the travel you want (80mm). the spring needs to be cut to whatever length travel you prefer, taking into account any spacers your using to reduce the travel.

gack rider: i bought the fork lowered already. i just had the spring swapped. it's as easy as cutting the spring to the travel you want and adding a spacer. if your doing it yourself, try emailing the union street guys. i know they've done this mod before. super simple.

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Just bought the 1A x 12C spring. It cost $24 which seems about what I paid for a Manitou spring a while back. I don't have a dremmel, so I guess I will just hacksaw and file to the same size as my current spring.

*If I wanted to lower it, where/how do I make/buy spacers?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
*If I wanted to lower it, where/how do I make/buy spacers?
I used old (and I mean OLD) manitou elastomer bushings that were in their forks before springs.

I lowered a totem using some of those plastic fox spacers that are made to lower fox forks. If I were to do it again, I'd try and use those. I'm not sure if the diameter of the internal rods matches up but I'd at least look at that option.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
If you pre-load the current spring more it will feel stiffer. I had a stiffer spring laying around, and took a wooden dowl that fit into the top cap well. Cut it to desired length, shuve it in there. All the preload on the spring will make it feel really stiff.