Quantcast

'08 National Champs Course

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Could it be that Mt Snow will actually change it up this year?

If they run this it will be pretty sick, I had ridden this run from the top once last year. It uses last years top section and I think turns off right before the ledges and then goes down some more 'reasonable' open slope that doesnt have as many death holes and is more fast paced, flowy rock doubles and stuff.

The lower woods would need some tweaking to be legit (a couple real slow sections). Overall though, it should be pretty sick!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
This is basically that sweet course from the local series races right?

-ska todd

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
nice to see they might change it up...

would be nice if they would find a way to avoid the flat fire road sprint that is the last minute of the track though. there are plenty of woods they could go though to eliminate it

if not it will still be better than the same old course they alays use... it's just a shame to end such a good track with a minute of flat fire road (from where it says "1.0" on the map to the finish... notice they called it the grand central sprint hahaah)

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA

would be nice if they would find a way to avoid the flat fire road sprint that is the last minute of the track though. there are plenty of woods they could go though to eliminate it

if not it will still be better than the same old course they alays use... it's just a shame to end such a good track with a minute of flat fire road (from where it says "1.0" on the map to the finish... notice they called it the grand central sprint hahaah)
i think that could be sweet with some wide open slalom gates, like old school Mt St Anne.

Im more worried about the stupid flat/uphill root garden (that I managed to dislocate my shoulder in going about 2mph). That and the one hard right hander to short uphill that is down lower isnt so fun, but manageable.

It is going to be a pretty damn tiring course though thats for sure!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001

In a way, it actually might be neat if they add in some high-speed, GS style turns. We need more of that in racing, the speed part I mean. Let it all hang out! Sometimes it seems like the average speed of the XC is more than that of the DH on tracks these days.

But yeah, there are plenty of woods around there. Perhaps there is still time to have Greg consider a bottom section re-route, or are there USFS issues at play here? It's not too much unlike the end of the former course though. It was a long pedal from the exit of Yardsale to the finish line.

-ska todd

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
They should use the small patch of woods near the bottom. Very small section where the exit was a weird drop/roller......back in the day only Steve Peat and few top guys would jump it......now-a-days everyone would huck it......

I'm not talking about the rockjump from 2002-2004 that guys were launching......this section is actually just a bit before that, its just a small isolated section of trees...

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
"Slick Rock Highway"... Everyone better bring an extra wheelset!!

The integrated lower course is soo much fun!

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
They should use the small patch of woods near the bottom. Very small section where the exit was a weird drop/roller......back in the day only Steve Peat and few top guys would jump it......now-a-days everyone would huck it......

I'm not talking about the rockjump from 2002-2004 that guys were launching......this section is actually just a bit before that, its just a small isolated section of trees...
Yeah I remember seeing someone get tackled right after it in 2000 by a spectator because they wanted to stop him b/c somone over jumped the table after it and went down. I would have beat his a$$ but it looked like the guy got it much worse than the rider!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
could definitely use some turns in the 'grand central sprint' seeing as its basically smooth fire road and you completely spin out a 36x11 after about 200 feet. corners would actually make it more physically demanding.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Thats gunna be a long track, all different types of terrrain and features too, seems to be a really well rounded course. Shale highway down through the boonies is one of my favorite sections, real fast with good flow.

I honestly don't have a problem with the sprint at the bottom as it will reward the rider who is the most fit and can sprint it out coughchoughbenmoodycough, but some nice fast GS style gate turns or a couple of jumps would be cool too. A re-route around that flat rock garden may be a good idea, maybe make it dump out just above shale highway so you can carry more speed down the initial flat section before it gets rough.

Overall a much better and safer layout than in previous years IMO, I'm actually pretty stoked on nationals this season.

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Thats gunna be a long track, all different types of terrrain and features too, seems to be a really well rounded course. Shale highway down through the boonies is one of my favorite sections, real fast with good flow.

I honestly don't have a problem with the sprint at the bottom as it will reward the rider who is the most fit and can sprint it out coughchoughbenmoodycough, but some nice fast GS style gate turns or a couple of jumps would be cool too. A re-route around that flat rock garden may be a good idea, maybe make it dump out just above shale highway so you can carry more speed down the initial flat section before it gets rough.

Overall a much better and safer layout than in previous years IMO, I'm actually pretty stoked on nationals this season.
YA.. Moody is going to own any other pro on the bottom section.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Jurgen has a German fed license and cannot race in the US Championship event.

-ska todd

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
the last 'sprint' straight I have found is actually quicker to tuck on. ive caught people that are pedaling their asses off in a tuck.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
the last 'sprint' straight I have found is actually quicker to tuck on. ive caught people that are pedaling their asses off in a tuck.
Funny, on one of the races on that track during the IH series last year, a couple of buddies and I were joking about taking off our visors and wearing xc jerseys to be more areo on the sprint. Ironically one of them ended up getting second by .04 seconds in expert 19-29.

Skinsuit anyone?:lighten:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Except for "Pete's Pirate trail", this is the same course as '94, is it not?

It will certainly be less terrifying...

nope. 1994 started on the opposite side of the mountain by heading straight off the back, then looped around to the fire road climb in the middle, and finished with corners on the open slope under what is now chair 9. i don't believe any of the current course was used in 94. Jurgen did win though