Quantcast

'08 NORBA races?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, just wondering who on here is going to all the NORBA races in '08? I've already told my boss that I'm pretty much taking all summer off just for racing.

If you're racing, what are you racing in?

Me: DH - Expert (19-24) and possibly 4X and DS, we'll see about that.

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
i think his point is that there are much better series's which you could devote your summer to racing in. NORBA pretty much hates happiness.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Haha, I know they hate happiness.

Ya, I'll be racing more races then just that. Hoping to make it out to Angel Fire again because that was an awesome race.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Well, it used to be better.

I'm just hoping that it gets better eventually.
I think USA Cycling has realized TBB has killed the national series. NORBA is dead USA Cycling has all but pulled the plug. They are just letting Team Big Bear finish out their contract.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
the norba series may not be the best out there... so if your just racing for fun and the love of racing you may want to look for other series... the only problem with the other series ont he professional level is non of the other series mean anything. Most companies do not care if your the diablo series champ, or any of the east coast series... norba is horrible... i agree to that.. but it is the only series that has the history and acredidation*spelling that leaves you with anything at the end of the year. If you get top 5 in the norba national series companies take note of that. Unless another series gets that sort of prestege and backed by usa cycling then norba will remaim the series that matters...

i havnt raced back east but my expiriences with msc races has been worse then norba.... i hope usa cycling and norba can grow someday into what it was years ago...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
the norba series may not be the best out there... so if your just racing for fun and the love of racing you may want to look for other series... the only problem with the other series ont he professional level is non of the other series mean anything. Most companies do not care if your the diablo series champ, or any of the east coast series... norba is horrible... i agree to that.. but it is the only series that has the history and acredidation*spelling that leaves you with anything at the end of the year. If you get top 5 in the norba national series companies take note of that. Unless another series gets that sort of prestege and backed by usa cycling then norba will remaim the series that matters...
I agree on all accounts.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
Not anymore they don't. I talk with people involved with sponsorship at many industry companies everyday, they really don't give a damn about that series.
i agree... some do not care anymore....
but alot still do.

Some are starting to care more about norba actually though. So many people dropped out of norbas, and then lost a lot of north american presence. Some actually are trying to regain it. When i am looking at resumes of riders to sponsors i still weight norba's above any other series in the US.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
With the poor turnout at the National Mountain Bike Series(formally NORBA) just showing up can get you a top five finish.
in the classes where racing is just for fun yes, but showing up does not get u on the top in jr x, semi and pro...those classes are still full of talent.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Unless you are actually making money racing... (doubtful) you should race a series that you want to and not worry about sponsors. Even if you get some free crap I doubt it offsets the price of chasing the dying circus around the country. All of about 12 people follow the dh event around the country and it is getting worse every year so I would hardly think that you are getting some prestige from a top 10 at a NORBA race in most classes.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
First off Norba does not equal NMBS series. USA Cycling Mountain Bike (Norba) is the governing body that sanctions mountain bike racing in the US. There are LOTS of different Norba sanctioned series across the country. The "Norba Series" that you refer to is the "National Mountain Bike Series" run by Team Big Bear/Blue Wolf.

As someone who evaluates hundreds of sponsorship requests a year, I'd personally recommend that Amateurs concentrate on their regional race series and putting efforts and monies into doing well at those events. That is where a company will get the most bang and exposure. Then, if you want to go to events outside of your region, spend them on quality events that matter such as the US Open, National Champs, Crankworx, or even going to an event over in Europe or something. For newer Pros and Semi-pros I'd recommend expanding that out a bit and hitting up USAC Gravity Calendar events and start working toward gaining experience needed for racing overseas.

-ska todd

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have been racing DH, 4x, and DS for over 10 years now and my advice is to support your local scene first. Help the sport grow in your area and support the local races. Then branch off and hit up regional events. These will be bigger races than you would think. Regional events have become larger than the NORBA races in the past few years. Races like the US Open, Snowshoe Series, Mountain States Cup, Diablo Series, Etc. You will get more bang for your buck that way. I used to try to hit up as many NORBA Nationals in the past, but have found in the past few years their races are just not as fun as they used to be. They don’t really offer as much to racers as the better Regional races do. I am not trying to knock down NORBA here, I just think their focus is not with us anymore. It is a great series if your into XC racing from what I hear. I will be putting my money into going to races like the US Open, all the Snowshoe races, and The Massantten VA DH race as they are all within a half days driving from me here in the South East. Then I will do my best to make every local race within 2 to 3 hours drive to support our scene.

Hope this helps out.
Cecil

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
When the new race dates get posted for the Snowshoe races i will mark them down at work as days "OFF" & go next year2008. Others should do the same.Put money aside & plan on it early.

http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/
----------------------------------
LAST YEAR
Summer Operating Schedule 2007
June 1st - June 18th Open 3 days a week (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
Basin Lift and Western Shuttle

June 19th – September 4th Open 7 days a week
Basin Lift in operation 7 days
Western Shuttle in operation Friday, Saturday, Sunday only

September 7th – October 14th Open 3 days a week (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
Basin Lift and Western Shuttle

Holiday and Event Operating Schedule:
Memorial Freeride Festival: Opening Weekend!!!
May 25th - 28th Basin & Western Shuttle in operation
Shaums March Camps:

June 27th - 28th Western Shuttle in operation

July 31st - 2nd Western Shuttle in operation
Race Weekends:

June 30 – July 1 Basin & Western Lifts in operation

August 4 – 5 Basin & Western Lifts in operation

September 8-9 Basin & Western Lifts in operation

Lift operations are 10am-4pm Sunday-Friday, 10am-5:30pm on Saturday’s. Shuttle
operations are 9am-5:30pm every day of operation. Shuttle leaves every ½ hour from the
Inn at Snowshoe. Western Shuttle does not operate on days that Western Lift is in
operation.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I did the NORBA series in 06.
Did Gravity East, MAC, SS and the Diablo series in 07.

Had a MUCH better time in 07. Cheaper (sometimes) fees, much better venues, crazy ass times with my friends and exposing our genitals, and I got a lot more racing in.

Think about it like this: Norba = 4 DH races.
If you instead ride CHDH, CCCX, the one NORBA DH in CA, and maybe the Northstar or Boulder race series, you've gotten a lot more bang for your buck.

Screw NORBA and USA Cycling, screw them right in their pretentious, shaved lilly white asses.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
What other series is better?
West Coast baby!

Potential Fluidride Cup dates.
Ok so here is a list of potential dates for the 08 series.
Some of the races will coinside with the existing Mt Hood Ski Bowl series. Points of these races will count towards both series.
Feedback is appreciated.

4/5/08 - 4/6/08-------Port Angeles, Wa--FR Cup #1
5/3/08------------------MT Hood Or---------Ski Bowl # 1
5/10/08 - 5/11/08----MT Hood Or , Wa--FR Cup #2
6/7/08 - 6/8/08-------Port Angeles, Wa--FR Cup #3
6/21/08 - 6/22/08----Mt Hood Skibowl---Ski Bowl series # 2
7/12/08 - 7/13/08----Mt Hood Or----------Ski Bowl # 3 / FR Cup #4
8/23/08 - 8/24/08----Location TBA--------FR Cup #5
9/13/08 - 9/14/08----Mt Hood Or----------Skibowl # 4
9/27/08 - 9/28/08----Mt Hood Or----------Ski Bowl # 5 / FR Cup FINAL # 6

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
First off Norba does not equal NMBS series. USA Cycling Mountain Bike (Norba) is the governing body that sanctions mountain bike racing in the US. There are LOTS of different Norba sanctioned series across the country. The "Norba Series" that you refer to is the "National Mountain Bike Series" run by Team Big Bear/Blue Wolf.

As someone who evaluates hundreds of sponsorship requests a year, I'd personally recommend that Amateurs concentrate on their regional race series and putting efforts and monies into doing well at those events. That is where a company will get the most bang and exposure. Then, if you want to go to events outside of your region, spend them on quality events that matter such as the US Open, National Champs, Crankworx, or even going to an event over in Europe or something. For newer Pros and Semi-pros I'd recommend expanding that out a bit and hitting up USAC Gravity Calendar events and start working toward gaining experience needed for racing overseas.

-ska todd
Bingo!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
and

SVPPB said:
Screw NORBA and USA Cycling, screw them right in their pretentious, shaved lilly white asses.
are you really that ignorant? USA Cycling is what many/most of the local series run under (Plattekill, Mt Snow, MSC, etc). TBB/National Series is something different. :crazy:

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
if you are a GOOD rider (say even pro/semi pro) you can go do good at a norba and maybe get some new sponsors who MIGHT give you some parts. Or you can go to something like the Diablo series and win lots of money (as in cash money) for new parts, strippers, gas...whatever you want!

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
are you really that ignorant? USA Cycling is what many/most of the local series run under (Plattekill, Mt Snow, MSC, etc). TBB/National Series is something different. :crazy:
Of course I'm ignorant! Its what I do best, and eat McDonalds. Mmmm #2 value meal, death-o-sized!

I am just bitter with USA Cycling because I feel they don't put enough of our $$$ back into the sport. Lumping them together was expedient.

Now back to my big mac

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
Of course I'm ignorant! Its what I do best, and eat McDonalds. Mmmm #2 value meal, death-o-sized!

I am just bitter with USA Cycling because I feel they don't put enough of our $$$ back into the sport. Lumping them together was expedient.

Now back to my big mac

that may be semi true, but actually usa cycling is not the one holding back the money as far as the nmbs goes... it may surprise you but some existing sponsors will not let other companies bids be taken to sponsor the athletes with more money. They dont want to spend more money on the athletes even tho competing companies do. The existing nmbs sponsors and event promoters are responsible for lack of money... not usa cycling