Quantcast

08 Sunday WC or 08 Giant DHO

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Ok I know theres been lots of Sunday threads, but Im stuck with which one to go with, heres why.

theres not allot of change if any in 08 with either model so if youve been riding 07s your advice is still very relevant.

Ive had a change of sponsors lets say and I can go with either
The Glory is complete but I have a deal where I can swap out to 08 Marz front and rear, the rest of the specc is pretty solid so I wouldn't change much apart from adding an integrated stem over standard.

I currently run a Kona Stab Supreme 07 which is an awesome bike and for the change I would stick with it Im pretty happy with this bike and the results Ive had on it so far, it definitely can handle the pace with some of the more so called top end bikes, so bike is not the issue, Im pretty aggressive and will keep going at something to I nail it, but Im more of a thinking rider more than a hucka some may argue with that lol, I ride flats and love riding in the wet muddier the better, I try to pick my lines and ride smooth top to bottom rather than just hammer the throttle and hope for the best.

IH I would probably go with frame only and build her up, theres too many light weight parts for me on the complete bike, and I already have a pair of 5.1s with Hadleys, but I would like the Vivid and some other parts.

Giant will be complete and a few parts swap with the LBS.

Has anyone run a Roco on either bike?

my speccs for both

Iron Horse Sunday DH WC 08 Speccifications Current
* Frame Size & Color: Iron Horse Sunday DH WC 08
* Rear Shock: RS Vivid / Roco WC?
* Fork: Marzocchi 08 888 WC
* Brakes: Avid Codes 08 Magnesium 185mm fr/r
* Cranks: Gravity Light Crankset 83mm
* Chainguide: MRP Carbon System 3
* Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 07 short cage or XO sc
* Pedals: DMR V12s
* Stem: Marzocchi integrated/ FUNN RSX DIRECT MOUNT STEM W/ TI HARDWARE, 31.8MM CLAMP
* Handlebar: Sunline V one 31.8mm low rise/or FUNN FATBOY, 30MM RISE, 710MM WIDTH, 31.8MM CLAMP
* Seatpost: SDG I-Beam
* Saddle: SDG I-Fly
* Bottom Bracket: MegaExo BB
* Cassette: SRAM PG-970DH, 11/26T, 9 SPEED
* Chain: Sram PC 991
* Headset: ORBIT IS CARBON W/ E-THIRTEEN REDUCER CUP
* Grips: Oury Lock ons
* Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C dry /Wet - wetscream/swampthing
* Front Rim: Sun MTX 34mm 32 h
* Front Hub: Hadley
* Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DHR 2.5 3C dry /Wet - wetscream/swampthing
* Rear Rim: Sun MTX 34mm 32 h
* Rear Hub: Hadley 72pt 150
* Shifters: Sram X0 Shifter right side only
* Seatclamp: IH
* Cables Jagwire black
* Weight: ?
* Extra's Spare wheelset

Giant Glory DH 08 Speccifications Current
* Frame Size & Color: Glory DH0 2008
* Rear Shock: Marzocchi Roco WC
* Fork: Marzocchi 08 888 RC2X WC
* Brakes: Saint 203mm fr/r
* Cranks: Saint 165mm
* Chainguide: MRP Carbon System 3
* Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 07 short cage or XO sc
* Pedals: DMR V12s
* Stem: Marzocchi integrated
* Handlebar: Sunline V one 31.8mm low rise
* Seatpost: SDG I-Beam
* Saddle: SDG I-Fly
* Bottom Bracket: Saint
* Cassette: Sram road cassette
* Chain: Sram PC 991
* Headset: FSA Orbit Z 1.5r or Cane Creek/maybe Chris King 1.5?
* Grips: Oury Lock ons
* Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C dry /Wet - wetscream/swampthing
* Front Rim: Mavic 721s 32 h
* Front Hub: Hadley 20mm
* Rear Tire: Maxxis Minion DHR 2.5 3C dry /Wet - wetscream/swampthing
* Rear Rim: Mavic 721s 32 h
* Rear Hub: Hadley 36pt 10mm bolt through gold
* Shifters: Sram X0 Impulse shifter right side only
* Seatclamp: Giant
* Cables Jagwire black
* Weight: 40lbs?
* Extra's Spare wheelset

Cheers for ya feedback

ta

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I didn't know that Saint made 165mm cranks...???

I run a 06 Factory Sunday with 888's up front and love it. If your decision was my decision I'd be going the Sunday w. Vivid rear. My preference would be for the 32h 721's as well.

Seems you've got a tough choice, best ride an 06 or 07 of each and make up your mind. Frame is the biggest decision, the bits you hang off it you can change any time.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Cheers Dm Im not sure if saint do come in 165 I know they come in 170 cause Ive had em, i run RF Diablous now and theyve been great and they do come in 165mm so maybe I'll swap out if i go with the giant, hey don't tell ya online what crank length they are.

Yeah i think I can nab a ride on either in the next few weeks
cheers

Damo what ya recommend, im no much of a weight weanie hence I didn't bother with seat clamp changes:D

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
I am using Roco WC on my Sunday and I am loving it..Due to DW linkage is a very good pedaling platform. So the roco work very well with it.

My setting of the roco:
My weight: 70 Kg
Shox spring: 300 lbs x 3.0 (5th ti-spring)
Roco WC 9.5
No compression
with 110 psi on piggy back

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
I am using Roco WC on my Sunday and I am loving it..Due to DW linkage is a very good pedaling platform. So the roco work very well with it.

My setting of the roco:
My weight: 70 Kg
Shox spring: 300 lbs x 3.0 (5th ti-spring)
Roco WC 9.5
No compression
with 110 psi on piggy back
Cheers thought that might be the case but good to know,
as frame the Sunday comes with a DHXc which I will swap for a Roco then, I run the Roco WC on the Stab and its wicked, don't want to go back to a DHXc, thanks DH..

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Very interesting reading................... I would go the new Nicolai ION myself for DH..................
That's not one of the choices I have, nice bike I'm sure.

At the end of the day I'll ride anything once its setup, its not about the bike so much, just the clock the good vibes from all the people involved, so much goes on behind the scenes and the riding is killer.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
They are both, great bikes. But the Sunday weighs less and in my opinion also rides lighter then the Glory.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Cheers for the feedback to date guys, be good to know why most prefer the Sunday over the Glory other than just weight, do they ride similar over terrain jumps etc or do they have a different feel!

Cornering is and techy stuff is my biggest strength, is there a difference in which one will corner better or handle, stability maneuverability, jumping.

I need to work on my high speed whipping!

what about reliability?

Weight dosen't worry me so much as long as Im in the 40lb range to me thats the best all round weight for me in a DH bike any lighter and its too light for me, I lose that momentum feeling and get a sticky feeling on the ruff stuff.

Plus I gotta make stuff last, I wrench most of my own stuff, though the LBS takes good care of me when I need it.

Im leaning towards the Sunday cause I can build it the way I want, though really Ive been using most of the comps on the Glory except for Fox stuff and Ive had no issues, in fact the Saint has taken lots of abuse Ive dished out and then some, not as crisp and fast as Sram but it works not matter how hard ive slammed it, so not a biggie.

I want 165mm cranks so I can keep pedalling through rocky and rutted terrain, which we get allot of here, I got pitched in practice last weekend due to my cranks hitting a root, not fun when ya preparing to launch a big gap only to find ya crash into the face of it head first, it happened to a few riders.

oh I saw more Sundays at our winter series than any other bike except the Glory both seemed to really go well, the Sunday was a standout but then those riders proably would stood out on either bike

cheers again

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
both sick bikes. every one has said that. i just got a glory 08. its sick. i run my fork at 7 inches. so it corners very well. i just came off a roco. which i loved. never ridden dhx before but i like it. no propedal

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
TA im gonna have to say the glory for sure. i just got my 08 and i have about 20 hours on it in 4 days of riding and the thing is awesome. the bike stock comes in at 46.2lbs. the bike is VERY stable and goes thru anything and over everything. feels really good in the air and all. im deff sold on this bike, its super fast and when riding it, it feels really lite since all the all weight is by the BB. i can get up and go faster then my buddies on their 40 lb bikes. i was also ridin with a guy who has been racein for 11 years now and has ridin for many companies. he also said this is THE best race bike he has ever ridin.

thats just my .02 cents with the glory and what i like about it. im deff gonna get the new 09 when it comes out.