Quantcast

08 travis....in a pool of oil

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Got the new SOCOM's for myself and my wife few weeks back....did our northstar trip (4 days of DH). Put bikes in garage since our return, went to pull them out to pack for whistler and my wifes 08' travis equipped bike lays on top of a pool of fork oil.
These manitou piles never cease to amaze me.

Vang_9tuzz

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Denmark
Hahah, first couple of sessions manitou tend to work quite nice.
Your mrs's just chose to give up it self by spittin' out it's guts...
That is why I never even consider buying one from them... N8

You just have too turn the t!ts and mess with the pissbox too often!!!

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
My 40's just like to bust open :( My 3rd set of lowers is in the mail. Then im done with 40's. But now my 888 sl ata that I got wont stay in 8 inch mode. /meh I dont get it.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
My 40's just like to bust open :( My 3rd set of lowers is in the mail. Then im done with 40's. But now my 888 sl ata that I got wont stay in 8 inch mode. /meh I dont get it.
[/img]
Blame it on the weight weenies...We want light tin cans they gave us light tin cans.. Just about any DH fork on the market right now is paper thin. I put holes in just about all of them ;)

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
my Travis has been beaten and it still works great, it is also thicker than that tin can aha. I must be a lucky fellow

Back in the day I had White Bros. forks that felt buttery smooth when every other one I felt was basically locked up ahaa

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007

All the marzocchi ata forks do that, I had the same problem with the 66 sl ata i was borrowing, just tape the knob down with a bunch of duct tape or electrical tape, it worked for me doing non stop runs at mammoth.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I was just waiting for that BoXXer quote! :thumb:
It was an old boxxer, not any of the new delicious SRAM owned stuff. So I got no beef with them...plus it was peatys old practice fork, I am sure he hammered it.
I am sure I will be stoked with these new Fox bits coming, race shop went through them and shipped today, so I am stoked.

BISON 454

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
OXNARD
Got the new SOCOM's for myself and my wife few weeks back....did our northstar trip (4 days of DH). Put bikes in garage since our return, went to pull them out to pack for whistler and my wifes 08' travis equipped bike lays on top of a pool of fork oil.
These manitou piles never cease to amaze me.
did the fork leak from the seals or from the bolts on the bottom??

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I think the bolts below, did not really look-it was one of those saw the puddle and went straight to the phone to industry connections to get those things of my bikes. (they were just what came on the bikes from team intense).

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
so the hacks come out of the woodwork!...

i'd really really like to know the percentage of user error/misuse and manufacturer fault. i bet a lot of you would be sticking your foot in the large orifice on your face.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

i'd really really like to know the percentage of user error/misuse and manufacturer fault. i bet a lot of you would be sticking your foot in the large orifice on your face.
If it's one thing stick man knows nothing about, it's how to work on bikes. I'm suprised he even knew what a 'fork' was.

Not to mention his wife definitely rides like a hack.

:disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Well, everyone is going to be "hack" at some point, come up short, do something dumb, and so on. Are manufacturers allowing for this these days?

KnightChild

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
Noo Zealund
I think the bolts below, did not really look-it was one of those saw the puddle and went straight to the phone to industry connections to get those things of my bikes. (they were just what came on the bikes from team intense).
I think Manitou have a lot of work to do on their quality control. I've had three sets of Travis internals (TPC+, old spring-backed intrinsic, and new spring-backed intrinsic)
The TPC+ and old spring-backed rod was fine, I tightened it to the specified torque in the tech manual (and yes, I had to put oil in the lowers as there was NONE from stock - should be 50-60ml).
My new spring-back internals leak endlessly, like a puddle of oil as you say under the forks. I had to overtighten the rod in the lowers by TWICE the recommended torque (Yes I was afraid of damaging it).
It seems that the o-ring seal doesn't sit right/doesn't seal right so semi-bath oil kept on leaking until I tightened it heaps.

If it's damping fluid - then that's another can of worms.

I would've hoped to see all that small stuff fixed for 2008 (considering they are essentially a 3rd generation model).