Quantcast

08 turner dhr + ccdb

DHR

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
does anyone have a 07/08 turner dhr with a ccdb shock? if you have could you confirm if I must remove shock everytime to change adjustments? Or I'm able to adjust with the tool it comes with shock?
From what I've read ccdb is amazing, one of the best shocks on the market nowadays, and to make it worth you have to dial and try all four adj. Only problem I see is the place at frame, it's so tight I wonder the ccdb tool can reach and make the adjustments needed. I wouldn't like to remove and put it back on all the time.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yep. 'fraid so. Can't say I've ever seen the tool that Cane creek now supply with the shock, as it's a new thing, but certainly no conventional tool will get in there. I think someone on here made something that enabled them to at least get at the low speed adjusters though.

In it's defense, removing the shock on the dhr is super easy, but still, not ideal.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I have a bent screwdriver that I use for the low speed and a bent hexwrench for the high speed. with the CCDB i only adjust in small increments so it can be done with my tools without having to remove the shock, but it's still a pain in the butt because you still have to angle it around and can only get about a 1/4 turn with each twist.

DHR

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
I have a bent screwdriver that I use for the low speed and a bent hexwrench for the high speed. with the CCDB i only adjust in small increments so it can be done with my tools without having to remove the shock, but it's still a pain in the butt because you still have to angle it around and can only get about a 1/4 turn with each twist.
still ccdb worths the hassle? i mean for its damping and function though it's a pita to adjust.
good to know you don't have to remove the shock at least. i wonder if i can do the same with the new tool that comes with ccdb.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
still ccdb worths the hassle? i mean for its damping and function though it's a pita to adjust.
good to know you don't have to remove the shock at least. i wonder if i can do the same with the new tool that comes with ccdb.
I love mine. I wont say the shock is noticeably plusher/smoother than anything else out there, but it's so easy to get feeling JUST the way you want it, as the adjustments are so easy to understand, and do exactly what they say they do in terms of feel on the trail. I was slightly disappointed that I had to send the shock back after a season due to the top out bumper and one of the spherical bearings wearing out, but Cane Creek fixed it up super fast and completely free of charge. Can't say fairer than that.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I love mine. I wont say the shock is noticeably plusher/smoother than anything else out there, but it's so easy to get feeling JUST the way you want it, as the adjustments are so easy to understand, and do exactly what they say they do in terms of feel on the trail.
damn, my impressions are completely opposite. it feels plusher than anything I've ever ridden but I've found that it's really easy to get some messed up results with just a couple turns of the screws in either direction, IMO.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sorry, my not saying it's noticeably plusher than anything else out there is merely a reluctance of mine to jump on the wagon of every kid saying "OMG! This is da best shock EVA!!!111!" etc. It is, however, plenty plush.

I think, providing you have a good feel and understanding of what is actually happening to the shock on the trail it's pretty easy to change the behavior of the shock to suit.

I attempted to share my (limited, and potentially flawed) thoughts on this here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=4025064&postcount=9

Having played around a fair bit I've now settled on something close to the stock settings, with two extra clicks of LSC for a bit of extra "pop" and firmness when the mood takes me. Your tastes may vary, evidently.

Last edited:

DHR

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
Sorry, my not saying it's noticeably plusher than anything else out there is merely a reluctance of mine to jump on the wagon of every kid saying "OMG! This is da best shock EVA!!!111!" etc. It is, however, plenty plush.

I think, providing you have a good feel and understanding of what is actually happening to the shock on the trail it's pretty easy to change the behavior of the shock to suit.

I attempted to share my (limited, and potentially flawed) thoughts on this here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=4025064&postcount=9

Having played around a fair bit I've now settled on something close to the stock settings, with two extra clicks of LSC for a bit of extra "pop" and firmness when the mood takes me. Your tastes may vary, evidently.
thanks b-t and w4s for your feedback.
i'm waiting cane creek to chime in about the tool. just for comparison have you tried rs vivid also? would it mimic ccdb but for lot less $$?

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
thanks b-t and w4s for your feedback.
i'm waiting cane creek to chime in about the tool. just for comparison have you tried rs vivid also? would it mimic ccdb but for lot less $$?
I've not tried a Vivid. I've taken a vow not to touch another RS product for a long time. I have heard of a few people having problems with the Vivid falling apart due to incorrect assembly at the factory or something. Enough to keep me away.

Is the CCDB heavy compared to other shocks?
Don't know. Don't care. How much difference is the weight of a shock REALLY going to make?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
definitely doesn't have the "out of the box very little adjustment needed" like most shocks i've ever played with have. Just got one on my lucky, and I can already tell that its going to take a descent amount of work to get it going where I want it. However, after playing with the adjustments, so far I have no doubt it'll get there.

DHR

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
malcolm sent a picture of the tool though he doesn't know it works on a dhr, he never tried before. regardless the tool looks like very nice.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Huh. I'm going to guess not. I can't see you being able to get the ring spanners into the tight space. Some bending of the tool might rectify this, however.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop