Quantcast

'09 FiveTens

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
[Taken from PinkBike]

Kevin Newell, Assistant Global Sales Manager showing the Freerider (not yet released, with no release date) model:

Ladies, you finally get a shoe, the new Women's Karver is fit specific to your feet:

The Kovarik inspired 'KARVER" is another new one:

Nathan Rennies new model:

And Sammy's new colorway is obviously inspired by his favorite energy drink, Monster Green:

Lets just all hope for plain ol' black...

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
All Karver Models are Kovarik signatures shoes - mens and womens. Go easy on these though as although the womens is set in stone - and pretty rad. The mens is just a sample and... still to be finalised.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
im soo happy i bought the 2008 ones and didnt wait for these.
they are disgusting. the only nice one is the freerider

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Finally!!!! The new shoes are functional in the sense that not only do they provide superior grip, but they will actually shed mud, be easier to clean, and hopefully they have a more robust base/sole interface. Funny how people are bagging on the looks. Could they be better? I suppose, but being able to brush off dried mud, and shedding and not absorbing muck is alot more important to me.

Looks like I stretched the life out of my Jim Henson, muppet mouth/disconnecting sole model!

I hope that they offer the Kovarik model in a high top. Here in New England, it's a pain that the old models trap so much dirt and grit in the laces/tongue area.

Last edited:

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
gonna be a rush on the 07's Mrs chief would go for the womens if they had a green liner to match her flatline.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
. Here in New England, it's a pain that the old models trap so much dirt and grit in the laces/tongue area.
I thought the current generation solved that issue pretty well, especially compared to the old Intense shoe.

I'm far from a style whore, but that Karver model looks like an Xtreme Mall Walking shoe from 1986.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I worked with Eric Odenthal to pick the original colorways of the Impacts when they re-introduced them. It's ironic that everyone here at Ridemonkey participated in my efforts in helping determine the original colorway to be...black. The 2nd choice was black with with color accents. Nobody asked for anything else.

Marzocchi ordered them from 5.10 in that second colorway and sold some. I can definitely see the women's doing well b/c the colors are sublte enough to appeal to women. But the Rennie's don't even fall into 5.10's branding or brand image. The Karver is a complete joke. The lace cover is a nice thought, but poorly executed. It's just a square that doesn't follow the lines of the shoe like a soccer shoe or a Shimano DX, etc. It's just hideous.

The Sam Hill version isn't bad, but green isn't a skate shoe you see flying off the shelves. I honestly believe the reason people try to wear Vans, Duffs, DC, etc while riding is for image and the fashion.

Can I just speak up and say a chocolate brown with light brown/white accents white/brown laces would look just like a skate shoe and sell way more than the Karver/Rennie/Hill shoes combined.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I thought the current generation solved that issue pretty well, especially compared to the old Intense shoe.

Yeah, I have the original off the shelf pairs and the material might pick up dirt, but it doesn't really show it. You are just going to get them muddy next ride anyway.

The second generation, with the reflective 5.10 logo on the side (a nice touch to have a non-SPD cycling shoe with a piece of reflective piping hidden on it) shed gunk better and is a much cleaner, professional looking shoe too. The quality looks much better too.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah, I have the original off the shelf pairs and the material might pick up dirt, but it doesn't really show it. You are just going to get them muddy next ride anyway.

The second generation, with the reflective 5.10 logo on the side (a nice touch to have a non-SPD cycling shoe with a piece of reflective piping hidden on it) shed gunk better and is a much cleaner, professional looking shoe too. The quality looks much better too.

Yep. The suede intense shoe was a mud magnet and fit kinda sloppy.
In terms of style I thought they were the best looking.

I like my 08s in terms of fit/ability to stay relatively clean/weight.
Mine are lo-tops and most dirt mud enters around the cuff, not the laces, which is the common with most shoes.

5.10 has never been a style oriented company, which really shows with this line. Either hire/consult with someone from outside the company or at least look to the skate industry for inspiration.

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
An there was me thinking it was the original Intense shoe that was the launch pad for 5.10 in the cycling industry... a highly sought after shoe that was NOT black!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
butch you're making it sound like you singlehandedly brought back these shoes to market.
do some research mang. I pretty much did. :D All because I just wanted to try them b/c Doug kept raving about his old one's and I couldn't find them anywhere. So I called Eric & asked "what would it take?" His answer "prove they'll sell" and then I posted on every forum in the US, Canada, Australia, UK...even had a buddy translate it into Portugese and put it on Brazilian forums to drum up demand.

Eric had me determine the color through polls, the styling, the materials, even low and mid-top options. I tested the first set, did the first photo shoot for their site with a bud, got to pick the guys they offered sponsorship to, set them up as sponsor of Snowshoe, etc, etc, etc.

And now I wear them in any race that doesn't have a gnarly sprint in it. :D
I is SOOOO proud. I guess I take it a little personal when I see the changes.:cupidarrow:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
An there was me thinking it was the original Intense shoe that was the launch pad for 5.10 in the cycling industry... a highly sought after shoe that was NOT black!
It was the first. It was made by 5.10 for Intense. I spoke with Intense about getting it re-made and they pointed me to 5.10. I asked the lady at Intense why don't you still sell them? She said...because it took us 3 years to sell 600 pairs of shoes! 5.10 did produce the shoe themselves and had no luck selling it..granted they made it in yellow/tan.

Intense sold out of the grey/black colorway but ordered them in tiny amounts and a bulk of ugly red/grey/yellow that didn't sell. Freeride parks weren't even in existence when they first sold them either. It was all just a matter of timing.

Once parks came online like Whistler, Diablo, Plattekill, Snowshoe, Les Gets, etc and guys like Hill/Rennie/Kovarik posted World Cup wins in 3 year old pairs of Stealth Rubber shoes, it was the right time to produce them again.

The guys at 5.10 all rode and had ins in the industry so once I got them enough pre-orders, they just picked up the phone to Asia and ordered a bulk of them, took them to Sea Otter and I suggested, then put them in touch with Hill & Rennie. The first person I suggested they sponsor was Kovarik, but I, Rennie and the Farkin guys couldn't reach him for months. :D

I always thought it ironic that he was the first person I thought of for them to sponsor and pretty much the main guy to wear those shoes on podiums time after time and yet the last to get sponsored of the big 3 flats riders. Good to see he got his own colorway now. :thumb:

Edit: Luc (Acadian) had been badgering Eric for a while too so he deserves alot of credit for helping plant the seed. He just hadn't gone off the deep end of obsession like I had.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
It was the first. It was made by 5.10 for Intense. I spoke with Intense about getting it re-made and they pointed me to 5.10. I asked the lady at Intense why don't you still sell them? She said...because it took us 3 years to sell 600 pairs of shoes! 5.10 did produce the shoe themselves and had no luck selling it..granted they made it in yellow/tan.

Intense sold out of the grey/black colorway but ordered them in tiny amounts and a bulk of ugly red/grey/yellow that didn't sell. Freeride parks weren't even in existence when they first sold them either. It was all just a matter of timing.

Once parks came online like Whistler, Diablo, Plattekill, Snowshoe, Les Gets, etc and guys like Hill/Rennie/Kovarik posted World Cup wins in 3 year old pairs of Stealth Rubber shoes, it was the right time to produce them again.

The guys at 5.10 all rode and had ins in the industry so once I got them enough pre-orders, they just picked up the phone to Asia and ordered a bulk of them, took them to Sea Otter and I suggested, then put them in touch with Hill & Rennie. The first person I suggested they sponsor was Kovarik, but I, Rennie and the Farkin guys couldn't reach him for months. :D

I always thought it ironic that he was the first person I thought of for them to sponsor and pretty much the main guy to wear those shoes on podiums time after time and yet the last to get sponsored of the big 3 flats riders. Good to see he got his own colorway now. :thumb:
cool story, i liked it.

anymore?

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
I hope the 09 five tens hold up better than the 08's. Not only were the 08's a little ugly, they fell apart on me. Their previous model was much more durable.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
They remind me of the Simpson episode where Bart must wear prescription clothing including shoes, glasses. I still do love mine but not crazy about these.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Gutted to see they've still got the pointless recess under the arch.

It's a shoe for flat pedals so guess what ? It should have a flat sole duh !

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Who the hell buys a set of shoes just because it has some dude's name on it? :crazy::crazy: Would you wear underwear with someone else's name on it too?

Ugly ones at that.

<====== Loves his pure black Impacts.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Who the hell buys a set of shoes just because it has some dude's name on it? :crazy::crazy: Would you wear underwear with someone else's name on it too?

Ugly ones at that.

<====== Loves his pure black Impacts.
function over looks...

I've tried/owned pretty much all of them, including the Marz ones and the 08 Sam Hill shoes are by far the most comfortable ones (well to me at least). I really don't like the fit of the 08 Impacts compared to my older 05/06 Impacts.

I couldn't care less how they look as long as they are 1) Functional 2) comfortable 3) durable