Quantcast

09 Fox 40 + Hayes Stroker Ace Issues...

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Sooooo,

just got my fancy shmancy new fox fork, and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my brakes on. i understand that a 6in brake adaptor is neccessary, but the 4 piston brake wont clear my adaptor. granted it is a avid adaptor, but i have never had an issue before.

so obviously, a hayes adaptor may be the answer, but i have a feeling im gonna run into the same issue.

anyone have any thoughts? am i a window licker, missing something completely obvious?

help?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Did you make sure that your mount is an XC (ie QR) IS brake mount, not an IS 20mm 6" mount?

Hangon...just re-read your post. I have no idea why your adaptor won't clear the caliper. All I can offer is what your already seem to think, that the hayes mount has more clearance.

I have a question for you though. Why the hell did you go Ace instead of Code's or the new Saints?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just a question... are putting a brake with a 6" rotor on a Fox 40 - is this correct? ( i ask because you made mention of a 6" adapter)

Is the 40 even compatible with 6" rotors?

edit: just checked Fox's site... the 2009 40 is only compatible with 200mm-225mm rotors. So a 6" rotor will not work.

Last edited:

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Just a question... based on what you've said I'm gathering that you are putting a brake with a 6" rotor on a Fox 40 - is this correct?

Is the 40 even compatible with 6" rotors?

edit: just checked Fox's site... the 2009 40 is only compatible with 200mm-225mm rotors. So a 6" rotor will not work.
Clearly you don't know what your talking about?
The 40 runs a 6" Adaptor to use an 8" rotor. But his caliper seems to be fouling on the adaptor.

Got picks mate? What sort of interference are we talking here?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Eddie (and other people who replied to this thread),

The 40 uses an IS-51mm 8" mount (that is, a front 51mm IS caliper would bolt straight-on and support an 8" rotor). Since the Hayes brake uses a post-mount, you need a 6-inch 51mm IS to 74mm PM adapter for 20mm thru-axle forks. It sounds totally convoluted and counter-intuitive, but that's just way things are sometimes in the bike industry. (maybe somebody like Dave can chime in about an industry-wide standard for brake mounts and eliminating the need for random, and often times expensive, adapters)

You need this exact part: https://www.bti-usa.com/public/item/HY8812 (should be no more than $10 shop-cost)

Good luck and see ya around!

Last edited:

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Ray is my hero.

in the mean time, as a vent for frustration, i dremeled the **** outta the adaptor i had. and it works, but obviously it is sketch balls.

looks like ill be calling bti tommorow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ray... I thought everyone was moving to post mount style? Even Marz adopted it.

(I have an old 888 that uses an adapter, and a newer 66 that is post mount. )

The best adapter is no adapter... just my $0.02

Crazy and convoluted? In the bike industry? B*tch please ;)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Ray is my hero.

in the mean time, as a vent for frustration, i dremeled the **** outta the adaptor i had. and it works, but obviously it is sketch balls.

looks like ill be calling bti tommorow.
and then, upon further discussion, it is found that i am indeed an idiot for thinking a cut adoptor will work.

curse you physics!

my roommate found a shimano adaptor that works, so i am still in business!

thanks for the help guys.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Ray... I thought everyone was moving to post mount style? Even Marz adopted it.
This seems to be the case. (which is good!) Lately, the trend has been 6,7, and 8" direct post mounts for forks. The prototype 2010 Fox 40 and new Boxxer both appear to have adopted the 8" direct-post mount.

The only problem I see with this, one that I myself have experienced, is trying to use older IS-style calipers with newer post-mount forks. For example, I used to own a Magura Wotan -- which uses the 8" post mount. However, I also own a set of XT-755 brakes (which I, along with many others, swear by) that are 51mm IS. In order to get these 2 things to work, I had to buy a [very expensive] Shimano PM>IS adapter for Shimano 170mm rotors AND a Magura 210mm rotor (also very expensive). Now if this wasn't a hassle, or convoluted way to mount a brake to a fork, I'm not sure what is......

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I had issues mounting my Strokers to a non-Hayes adapters as well. I ended up having to file down part of the caliper adapter so the "bulge" on the caliper wouldn't make contact with the adapter.

Only took about 10 minutes with a couple of different files.