Quantcast

1.5 Nomad reviewed in new MBA....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I just read the review of the 1.5" headtubed Nomad in the new MBA. I'm still trying to figure out why they had Ed Arnet review that bike when he's more of an XC stud than a freerider. The article contradicts itself from one sentence to the next with comments about how well it climbs followed by, "if you expect to ride the Nomad on trailbike singletrack you will be sadly disappointed" and "Trail riders need not apply". I was under the impression that the Nomad is one of the better trailbikes, more suited to climbing?!

I'll spare you the whole article but basically I thought it was pretty bad/contradictory typical MBA writing. I will say though, the Nomad in gloss army green with a 1.5" HT and Rock Shox Lyric fork was looking pretty good to me for the first time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow. When they first reviewed the Nomad they called it the holy grail, the "one" bike, the bee's knees, etc. Now it's basically the same rig with 1.5 and...what?

I guess 1.5 makes it too hella freeride for Arnett.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I love my nomad.
It climbs, and goes down hills.
It makes me happy in the pants.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Wow. When they first reviewed the Nomad they called it the holy grail, the "one" bike, the bee's knees, etc. Now it's basically the same rig with 1.5 and...what?

I guess 1.5 makes it too hella freeride for Arnett.
exactly....

what's up with MBA, do they think they can slip this type of stuff by the enthusiasts? Out of all the bikes in class, the Nomad has the most XC-esque geometry and ride. It can be built light and strong and guys like Weir have proven it is a great do-it-all. How can they just spew such seemingly unregulated nonsensical bologna? If they made it clear that this was some sort of editorial piece from a verteran XC rider's perspective, then maybe it would fly but that wasn't the case.

I'm really liking the bike with 1.5 and especially in that color they had, It looked great.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
are you tryring to say that the mags have a bias towards companies that advertise with them!
I'm realy shocked, not.
I have a friend who's the editor for an mx mag and he calls it an "advertorial"

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
the bike rips. nuff said. if anyone cares to challenge, i know a number of dudes that would be more than willing to destroy you up one side of the mountain and down the other. it's no fluke that people go fast on those bikes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Haha.....that's rich

It's no fluke that people getting hookups on cheap or free frames and race support ride them either.

It's also not like you or your buddies got the bike THEN got fast.

I'm glad you like your sponsor. That doesn't mean everyone else has to like their bikes. That's the benefit of paying for things see.:)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
the bike rips. nuff said. if anyone cares to challenge, i know a number of dudes that would be more than willing to destroy you up one side of the mountain and down the other. it's no fluke that people go fast on those bikes.
It's a neat ride. But what are you saying? Fast riders can go fast on a Nomad?

Or, are you calling out Arnett? :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Nov 29, 2006
Haha.....that's rich

It's no fluke that people getting hookups on cheap or free frames and race support ride them either.

It's also not like you or your buddies got the bike THEN got fast.

I'm glad you like your sponsor. That doesn't mean everyone else has to like their bikes. That's the benefit of paying for things see.:)
I watched Weir and team at the Laguna Seca 24 hour race. In the beginning people laughed at the fools on the heavy Nomads, till they realized what the lap gap was. If I understand you correctly, Weir and team would have had even a bigger lap advantage had they ridden a different "better" frame.

btw, BeaverBiker is not limited to riding only what his sponsors provide. Trust me on that one, I have cancelled checks to prove it. Until recently I was his bank roll. He really likes the Nomad.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I gotta admit, even with the little experience I have riding nomads, the thing is impressive. Yeah its got some quirks, but it rocks none the less.

MBA doesn't even make good toilet paper. I tried.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I understand you correctly, Weir and team would have had even a bigger lap advantage had they ridden a different "better" frame. .
That's not what I'm saying at all. That group would have been fast on any high end bike. All I'm saying is that the rider makes the ride much more than the bike and just because there are a host of guys going fast on them, doesn't mean that they universally are the best bike for someone.

I've been riding the same kind terrain your son and his buddies have for about as long and know very specifically at this point the characteristics I look for in a frame. The nomad misses on many of these points. That doesn't mean they can't be ridden fast. It just means that seeing someone fast on them doesn't change my mind either about what bike I want. When I complain about certain design features on a frame, it's nothing more than an opinion.

btw, BeaverBiker is not limited to riding only what his sponsors provide. .
But it makes it easier to acquire nice bikes when he does no? Obviously he'd find another sponsor if he absolutely couldn't stand riding them but everyone knows how sponsorship works. You get hookups on gear because the manufacturer wants the product to look good under a competent rider. It's counterproductive to have that same rider speak poorly of that product........which is why it never happens.

But I'm allowed to disagree with someone whether or not I think a bike "rips". I don't "distrust" someones opinions who's obviously a good rider. But I do realize any potential negative opinions are less likely to be heard.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched Weir and team at the Laguna Seca 24 hour race. In the beginning people laughed at the fools on the heavy Nomads, till they realized what the lap gap was. If I understand you correctly, Weir and team would have had even a bigger lap advantage had they ridden a different "better" frame.

btw, BeaverBiker is not limited to riding only what his sponsors provide. Trust me on that one, I have cancelled checks to prove it. Until recently I was his bank roll. He really likes the Nomad.
One thing to understand is most of the people here ride a lot, race a bit, and have plenty of industry experience.

The Nomad is a great bike, but most bikes today are pretty solid. Hyperbole is really unnecessary here, and most of the comments are about the reverse of direction coming from MBA this month.

BTW, you think those guys won 24 hours of Laguna, which I believe was mostly the fireroad section of the Sea Otter XC course, because of a 7 inch travel bike? You probably should wrote that the Nomad is so versatile that the WTB team won Laguna Seca despite riding 30 lbs all mountain bikes.

Jman

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Hey guys,
I live far off from the U.S. and the MBA is about the only American mag we get to see around here. In light of the 'raving' reviews of the mag (what really got me worried was the toilet bit... got to wipe off that stuff, you know), could you be kind enough to recommend some worthy mags of our sport (FR/DH)?
If you can throw some links maybe I'll even be able to subscribe to some good material for once :-)

Cheers

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
BTW, you think those guys won 24 hours of Laguna, which I believe was mostly the fireroad section of the Sea Otter XC course, because of a 7 inch travel bike? You probably should wrote that the Nomad is so versatile that the WTB team won Laguna Seca despite riding 30 lbs all mountain bikes.
actually, the course had a decent amount of singletrack. we just rode the bigger bikes because it added insult to injury to everyone we beat. we could have rode superlights if we wanted to.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
actually, the course had a decent amount of singletrack. we just rode the bigger bikes because it added insult to injury to everyone we beat. we could have rode superlights if we wanted to.
One of my buddies rode there, and he got a taste of team punishment.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Bah, I would've been more impressed if you would've converted all the Nomads to ss first. And then replaced the shock w/ a solid steel bar, and ran rigid forks. And flat pedals. :twitch:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
we just rode the bigger bikes because it added insult to injury to everyone we beat. we could have rode superlights if we wanted to.
wow, you guys are soooooo hardcore, you sure showed those spandex-clad losers!!! i want to be just like you when i grow up!