Quantcast

10" bars on a 24" cruiser?

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Yes or No? Discuss.
So far I'm up to 8.75" but thinking, maybe, just maybe a little higher....

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
cmc piut some perfect 10's on his liquid. I'm sure he'll chime in.

one thing that NEVER seems to come up in these 'what size bars' on cruisers threads is, what stem and how many spacers are being used?

my bars are 38 inches from the ground to the top of the grip, on my liquid. Depending on what stem/spacers i run, I can put 6 inch or 8 inch bars and get the same 38 inches on my bike.

personally, bikes with bars higher than that feel sketchy to me. A friend has a liquid with maybe 39 inches of height (think he's running 7 inch bars, top load stem, etc). His bike rides weird to me. I'm 5, 7.5 ish...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i tried it . . . ;)
see: my liquid bikehttp://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f61/my-liquid-bike-227386/index2/

i think the current trend in big bars in bmx is changing how people think about the "typical" or normal bmx stance. not just tall guys are riding big bars, short dudes too. it's a more upright/back-straight stance--especially in street riding.
just yesterday i was thinking about this watching the edit of the Cult team at The Berrics park:

i don't know how tall that dude is, but for me to have a riding stance like that with my grips almost at mid-thigh and knees close stem-level, i'd have to be on a really big bike. (on a typical 20" my knees are above the grips..... 35 1/2" inseam). in the 90's or early 00's, that dude would have been told that his bars are way too big. maybe bmx is still stuck in a one-size-fits-all mentatlity (whatever the trend is), but at least this time the trend is big.

i think it's good to experiment with different setups. it's like you're getting closer to perfection--or if there's no such thing, then you're learning to adapt and learning more about how your body works with your bike. i have definitely had breakthrough moments with new bike setups where some trick or riding style just suddenly worked.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f61/10-inch-rise-bmx-bars-s-m-perfect-10s-236983/

i was thinking the other day about getting some 11" bars made . . . . just so they could be called "These Ones Go To 11" a little sticker of rob reiner and nigel. and a couple of marshall amp 11 knobs... :thumb:

Last edited: