Quantcast

10 Best Places to ride in the Lower 48

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Hahahahahhahaahaha.....thats funny...

:rolleyes:

for those of you more open to different styles of riding, highland will have alot more to offer for 07, as 06 was just its first year running. there will be alot more DH specific, fast and flowly trails being cut in for next year, so there's something for everyone. we plan on catering to a larger crowd by adding more beginner trails as well.

anyone who cannot appreciate the things highland has done in its first season, by a handful of guys, paying out of their own pockets, you are in the sport for the wrong reason. just because it isnt your style doesnt mean its ****.

that being said, i like (in no particular order):

bromont
jiminy
diablo
highland

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
:rolleyes:

for those of you more open to different styles of riding, highland will have alot more to offer for 07, as 06 was just its first year running. there will be alot more DH specific, fast and flowly trails being cut in for next year, so there's something for everyone. we plan on catering to a larger crowd by adding more beginner trails as well.

anyone who cannot appreciate the things highland has done in its first season, by a handful of guys, paying out of their own pockets, you are in the sport for the wrong reason. just because it isnt your style doesnt mean its ****.
Maybe I haven't read this thread carefully enough but I didn't see anyone saying it was ****. Just that it isn't their style. I was totally pumped for Highland to open but ended up not going at all this year because it isn't my style. Once they add some normal downhill trails I'll probably be there regularly. Different strokes for different folks.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
In response to supporting highland:

and

i was refering to those.
Well to be honest I just saw those comments as people expressing their opinions about the mountain. After reading their reasons for not liking it, I was glad I didn't get there this year. It seems to me that this site is a tool people use to get information and I find that sort of thing useful as long as they explain why.

I think it's great that Highland is another choice for riding in New England and my hat is off those who have put in all of that time, effort and money. I also thing people need to have a thicker skin when it comes to criticism of their favorite local places. Years ago Plattekill could do no wrong and then it was Diablo. Every place has it's positives and negatives.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
Back to topic-
here's a few in no particular order
1. Santa Barbara
2. Sedona/Flagstaff Az for sweet freeride possibilities and undiscovered (by the masses) DH runs, provided you don't mind pedaling a bit.
3. Angel Fire
4. Moab
5. Bootleg for the sharp, sharp rocks and sweet DH runs.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Luckily the ridemonkey DH purist Highland-haters are in the vast minority. On our 5 1/2 hour drive back to NYC, all our crew could do was scheme on how to get back before the end of the season. We'll be taking a few trips up next season.

If I want big rock garden natural trails and some smooth drops/jumps, I'll hit Diablo. If I want loose shale and steep pucker action, Platty. If I want superbly built Whistler- and North-Shore-style tech trails that I'm non-stop stoked to ride, Highland.

Add in Jiminy Peak, Whiteface, Bolton Valley, Mt. Snow, Killington, Attitash, plus all the shuttle spots, and, well, it's good to live in the Northeast...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I also thing people need to have a thicker skin when it comes to criticism of their favorite local places.
i agree, its just hard to hold back when you spent 2 years helping build it;)

i agree highland isnt for everyone, but its a blast so i will continue to go. when i'm feeling huckerish, i'll go to highland or diablo; when i feel pinnerish, i'll go to bolton or jiminy.:monkeydance:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Riding the Downieville Classic DH race course on a DH bike is over-rated. Riding in the Downieville area on a 5 or 6 inch-travel beefy trail bike can not be over-rated, the good stuff is that good.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
In response to supporting highland:

and

i was refering to those.

Not so much hating on highland, but to claim that highland is "one of the best places to ride in America" is a perposterous claim. Their race they had was awesome, and I do agree they have the potential to be a great mountain (in the right hands, that is).

Yes, riding skinnies isnt my style, but my comment wasnt about my opinion of the mountain, it was about claiming that a hill with three ~2 minute trails on it is one of the best riding destinations in America is laughable when you consider the vastness of this country. Ive ridden downhill and XC from colorado, utah, west virginia, canada and many other places, so maybe I am a bit bias, but I think the whole local pride thing may have gone too far in that claim.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
agreed adam, but unfortunately not all of us have had the opportunity to ride all over the country, so we voice what we feel are the best places to ride in our area, aka NE, and i certainly see highland on that list. definately not top 10 in the country, i agree with you 100%. in fact, my favorite mtn isnt even in the US (bromont).:bonk:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Not too much mention about what's going on up there. I know there's riding in CO, NM and some in Utah, but the northern rockies seem relatively unexplored bike-wise.
Southern Utah has a bit of DH/FR stuff, but northern is pretty bare for the potential it has. 6/8 of the SLC/PC area resorts run bikes up, but only two have riding I'd call "DH" (Deer Valley and Sundance...Deer Valley has a few trails, Sundance has a single DH run). I'd attribute the lack of DH to the long ski season and lack of revenue potential.

There's a few other local shuttle spots (Empire, B, Moose, Squaw), but nothing mind-blowing.

If you're into XC/trailriding, no. Utah is heaven...

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
-Massanutten Va has one of the best dowhill tracks around.... to bad they only have it open for one race a year that track is amazing.
-Snowshoe because they have an awesome race series great people and a great mountain.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
What's the riding scene like in Montana and Wyoming. Not too much mention about what's going on up there. I know there's riding in CO, NM and some in Utah, but the northern rockies seem relatively unexplored bike-wise.
I don't know about Wyoming, but there is some decent riding in Montana, like most places everyone has their secret Dh trail/spot. Big Sky Resort is the only lift accessed riding(that I know of), and it's good. Silver Resort (in Idaho) and Fernie are both close to Montana.

After moving to Montana from NM, I'd say the DH scene/riding is better in NM/CO.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Southern Utah has a bit of DH/FR stuff, but northern is pretty bare for the potential it has. 6/8 of the SLC/PC area resorts run bikes up, but only two have riding I'd call "DH" (Deer Valley and Sundance...Deer Valley has a few trails, Sundance has a single DH run). I'd attribute the lack of DH to the long ski season and lack of revenue potential.

There's a few other local shuttle spots (Empire, B, Moose, Squaw), but nothing mind-blowing.

If you're into XC/trailriding, no. Utah is heaven...

That's about what I was going to say about Utah, I thought Moab was overrated and Gooseberry Mesa is underrated, I rode Moab on a FR bike and Gooseberry on an XC bike though, it could have had a lot to do with the bike. I really liked the abundance and easy access to smooth endless singletrack in Utah, getting at a good downhill is near impossible without a shuttle vehicle.

For super technical singletrack SD county is nice, Noble Canyon is a great ride, it can be a little boring on a DH bike but overall it's technical enough to keep you on your toes. Anderson is a tough trail to ride because it's so loose but when you get to one of the fun sections you can't wipe the goofy smile off your face until well after you get past the not so fun sections.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
-Massanutten Va has one of the best dowhill tracks around.... to bad they only have it open for one race a year that track is amazing.
huh? hahaha, it is fun, entertaining and fast but by no means one of the best around. maybe the best around a 5-mile radius of Massanutten.

have to agree with you on Snowshoe WV, though; THE best riding in the southeast.

if you are into XC riding, i'd recommend checking into Douthat State Park outside of Clifton Forge, VA. 40+ miles of pristine singletrack.

also, not sure if it occured to anyone else, but is there much of a point to name places that aren't open to the public or at "undisclosed locations"? seems like a waste of breath to me...have you ever been appoved for a loan and then not allowed to know how much you're getting?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Here is my top 10 places that I have ridden:

1) Whistler
2) Windrock
3) Diablo
4) Jackson, WY (The trail off the pass and the trail that starts at the base of Snow King and drops off the back side.)
5) Sun Peaks (this place has crasy number of trails. Just stay away from the master's course)
6) Plattekill (need a faster lift)
7) Bootleg
8) Bromont
9) Snowshoe
10) Moab (any trail that can be shuttled is good)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My Top 10:
Mount Snow - Just can't beat high speed boulders and the "Ledges". 1998 Course...best evuh
SNOWSHOE - Bring back the Wild Zone..so many lines
DIABLO - Dominion to Alpine and the gondola I love so....
WINDOCK - Everyone who's ridden it....blown away. And they come back for more!!
WOLF LAUREL - Nothing like riding a 700ft vertical Mtn on a 60 degreepitch w/ not 1 single rock and the fastest quad lift...20 plus runs no prob!!!
Deer Valley DH - Us East Coasters giggle at all that dust and dry rock...
Northstar - even though I've never set foot on it....
SKYLINE TRAIL-Maui, Hawaii I'm comin' baby....
Plattekill - "The rocks are gainin' on me dude..."
Every DH I've never ridden in Colorado - It's not fair I tell ya!!!

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Seems to me like there's a higher concentration of mountains open to riding in the N.E. They also seem to be more developed. But, as is the case with skiing/snowboarding, can they really compete with the bigger mountains of the west?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
-Santa Barbara, CA. I love my local trails, total blast. Rocks, piled on rocks, next to a cliff, for 20 arm-pumping minutes
-Downieville, CA. Break out the trailbike and do a 15 mile DH topping out around 40 MPH....you could say its fun ;)
-Moab, UT. Porcupine was the only trail I got to ride there and it ruled.
-Northstar, CA. Rocks, dust and speed. So great.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Whiteface is the only hill I've been on where I got forearm pump, upper arm pump, and thigh pump on the same run.

I just wanted to mention that, cause I think it's pretty rad.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Ski season in the East is much shorter than the West
That's true, but Eastern 'mountains' are much gentler and have less vertical drop, for the most part. As well, riding on the East coast in the summer is brutally hot/humid.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
True, but you'd have to convince many resorts here that making a concentrated effort on DH riding for 3-4 months out of the year would make financial sense. On the East Coast and in places like Whistler it makes much more sense because you can stay open for six or more months, even though revenue is down.

The LC/BC resorts here have snow from November to mid-July. Tack on 2-3 weeks to each end for preparation and it's difficult to convince anyone that doing DH is a good idea, especially when much of their construction is going on in that limited amount of snowless time. The only reason many resorts here open up for bikes is because the XC trails were already there, and require little maintenance.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Cool thread,,aside from smacktalking towards Hland (tough crowd,,give time, they just opened and are owned by a MTNBiker that is gung ho and very cool in my book..)
Anyways
- Best chairlift - Silverton- I made it there when they had one trail years back and was fun but the lift was epic...
-(Best gondola ,free) & a Trail @ Telluride,,wow,, it took me all day to find one pirate trail and it was killer,,to bad they clamped down on bikes
-best views- for me Mammoth- nothing like the east coast..long runs!!
-best race trail- Durango- very cool..
-best shuttle- something near Mammoth- long cruz-could have done it with a trail bike,ez but fun..
-on the east- If you are here to ride,,PLATTY, it is the spot.. I am don't get to Mtn. Creek much,,if it is platty or MC,Platty always wins.
-Hland is a short trip for me,,it is nice to not be gone all weekend and just get a great day of ridin in and get home
-mt snow is great for racing..

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Exactly why long runs with medicore trail quality are just as good as short runs with top trail quality.

Why are there no megavalanche type events in the US??? Except perhaps the Downieville thing. The US West has loads of 45+ minute descents.

Whiteface has loads of potential.

Whiteface is the only hill I've been on where I got forearm pump, upper arm pump, and thigh pump on the same run.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Agreed. My hands hurt so much that I couldn't retract my fingers off of my brakes. So fast. I've got to make it up there more than once next year.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I have yet to ride any DH further east than CO, but the XC riding on the East Coast kicks ass...different, but amazing all the same.

My top spots:
Santa Barbara, CA
Durango, CO
Mammoth Mt, CA (didn't ride DH there, but the XC course gave a pretty good intro to what they had there)
CO along I-80 through Fruita and Boulder. Only spent 6 days there or so, wish it could have been more. The trails amazed me. I'll be back.

East Coast this spring though for sure.

The Ito

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i really need to find some new spots to ride. i live in the bay area of california, so i've got the trails of the oakland hills like 20 minutes from my house, but other than that, the only spots really worth going are up in the sierras. i ride downieville a lot, which is so much fun, but n* is pretty nice too. i have yet to hit mammoth or santa barbara, but they are on my list. one of the great spots to ride that i still have to hit is pacifica, the trails look fantastic. if you're up for a 2 hour-ish drive from the bay area, there are tons of trail in santa cruz that are just amazing. that is also one of my favorite spots, the only problem is how hidden most of the stuff is. the demonstration forest in nisene marks park has some great legal trails, but almost all of the other decent riding is illegal. there had been some great ladder networks in the sc mountains back a couple years, but they have since been almost entirely destroyed. there is one really great spot, the back of the ucsc campus, but most of that stuff is very hidden and the local shops are really protective of the locations, so you should definately try and ride with someone that knows the area your first time down there. there are some road gaps, sick doubles and lush singletrack down in the ucsc area that are just amazing, definately worth trying to find.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Snowshoe
Windrock
Bromount
Plattikill
Keystone
Durango
Diablo
Vail
you put the shoe first because that's the only place you have even half a chance of beating me down the mt. :)

you young guys crack me up.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
you put the shoe first because that's the only place you have even half a chance of beating me down the mt. :)

you young guys crack me up.
I dono old man, come off the rock and you couldget served. We got somthin new for ya out in AZ. Give me a call, got some news for ya...