Quantcast

10 days in New England...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Hi all,

I'm planning a small 10 days trip on the coast for next week, and I'd like to get some trail suggestions.

We will be heading straight to Barnstable, MA to ride the Trail of Tears. We'll probably spend one day in Cape Cod relaxing and after that make our way back slowly.

We've already been to those places:

Case Mountain, CT
Nepaug, CT
(Rode those in 2004 with IAB, MBC, MMcg, Splat and Douglas)

Bear Brook Park, NH
Fomba, NH

So far on my to-do list I have:

Trail of Tears, MA
Vietnam, MA (Splat?)
Fort Rock, NH

I'll be with Karine and she's a big fan of Kingdom style trail... I'm more of a Perry Hill meatgrinder fan...

But for this vacation I'd like to keep it mellow (excluding Vietnam of course!) and fun and stay close to CT, MA and NH.

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

J.

ps We are leaving on June 24th until July 3rd, would be fun to get a big :monkey: ride organized for the week-end of the 30th and 1st...

Hi all,

I'm planning a small 10 days trip on the coast for next week, and I'd like to get some trail suggestions.

We will be heading straight to Barnstable, MA to ride the Trail of Tears. We'll probably spend one day in Cape Cod relaxing and after that make our way back slowly.

We've already been to those places:

Case Mountain, CT
Nepaug, CT
(Rode those in 2004 with IAB, MBC, MMcg, Splat and Douglas)

Bear Brook Park, NH
Fomba, NH

Trail of Tears, MA
Vietnam, MA (Splat?)
Fort Rock, NH

I'll be with Karine and she's a big fan of Kingdom style trail... I'm more of a Perry Hill meatgrinder fan...

But for this vacation I'd like to keep it mellow (excluding Vietnam of course!) and fun and stay close to CT, MA and NH.

J.

ps We are leaving on June 24th until July 3rd, would be fun to get a big :monkey: ride organized for the week-end of the 30th and 1st...

We're riding Vietnam next Sunday (24th) with Splat and TurnerGrl!!!!! So leave a day earlier and ride with us!

Also, I think as of right now, we have no plans the following weekend too!!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
We're riding Vietnam next Sunday (24th) with Splat and TurnerGrl!!!!! So leave a day earlier and ride with us!

Also, I think as of right now, we have no plans the following weekend too!!
Ahhhhh! Can't leave earlier since little lady is getting of work Saturday at 10pm, so it won't be an early start on Sunday! But we are open in discovering some CT new stuff the week-end after! :thumb:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley

Trail of Tears, MA
Vietnam, MA (Splat?)
Fort Rock, NH

J.
If you don't mind a few rocks, Borderland and Rayburn would also be two good rides for you in Massachusetts.

Try and get a ride in at Otis when you are on the Cape.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Jozz, you are not going to get any Kingdom Trails type rides here in CT. It's all rocks and roots. We'd be happy to show you some more that though!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Grayville would be a great spot for Jozz and Karine as it offers a little bit of everything from twisty singletrack to rocks and drops and whatnot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
F.Gilbert Hill State Forest AKA Foxboro, has a mix of everything from drops, to fast open fire roads.
I'd second this place. I ride there all the time. Its a small area geographically, but it has a very well developed network of trails. Like quo said, there's a good mix of everything. From rocky technical trails to sections that are covered in pine needles and roots. Plus there are quite a few nice ponds/lakes throughout the forest too.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Grayville looks nice!

And I will add Otis to the list as well.

So maybe Grayville on Saturday, and Nam on Sunday??

Like in Field of Dreams... If you organize it, we will come! :monkeydance:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
sounds like you might have em backwards though. Maybe Nam on Saturday and then down to ride Grayville on Sunday - wouldn't that make more sense if you are starting from Cape Cod?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
sounds like you might have em backwards though. Maybe Nam on Saturday and then down to ride Grayville on Sunday - wouldn't that make more sense if you are starting from Cape Cod?
Maybe, didn't check the location on the map yet! :biggrin:

And always willing to stick around for a nice bbq! :thumb:

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
If you are around southern NH on a Tuesday and looking for a group ride you should check out our local ride series. It is run out of Souhegan Cycleworks in Milford NH and usually gets 20+ riders. We meet at a different trail every Tuesday at 6:00pm and ride at an intermediate to advanced pace for a few hours.

Check out the details at:
http://www.souhegancycles.com
Under "ride room" look for "local mountain rides"

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
So are we settled for Grayville and Vietnam?

I know Mark suggested Nam on Saturday and Grayville on Sunday. Be we are flexible so it can be the other way around.

Splat, are you available that week-end for a tour of Nam either day?

Thanks to all for all the trail advice!

J.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Think we can get King Arthur from bikerag to show us the full goods in Grayville?

I can PM him if you guys would like me to do so, once we get a day set.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Think we can get King Arthur from bikerag to show us the full goods in Grayville?

I can PM him if you guys would like me to do so, once we get a day set.
It would be better to have a guide available... :biggrin:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
When will you be travelling to tour our trails?
When you get an Ocean!!

Just kidding!

We have another 10 day vacation in September and we are planning on hitting upstate NY... ;)

Do you know anything about Finger Lake trail in Letchworth State Forrest?

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
If anyone wants to do some rides in southern CT i'd be interested in joining. I live within riding distance of Tyler's Mill and am planning on going there after work today. Branford supply ponds also has some more smooth riding, but I think they have clear cut a section of the good trails there. But yea, for the most part CT has a lot of roots and rocks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jozz - I'd say that the freeride stuff is the minority of the stuff you'll encounter in Nam - it is just the stuff that is more photo friendly.

splat can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Jozz - I'd say that the freeride stuff is the minority of the stuff you'll encounter in Nam - it is just the stuff that is more photo friendly.

splat can correct me if I'm wrong.
I think so too, but I'd like to hit some of those photo friendly spots too!

Mark, will you PM your friend about guiding in Grayville?