Quantcast

10 speed derailleur, 9 speed cassete?

The derailleur is just the dumb tool that takes orders from the shifter; to a certain extent any speed derailleur is usable with various shifters.

However, if it's a 10 speed shifter you're going to have a fun time tuning it. It's possible, I've done it; but it takes a long time and a lot of patience.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
No problems what so ever if you run the correct shifter, just use shifter and rear mech that have the same cable pull.

I'm more for SRAM nowadays but my girl runs an XT shifter pod with the 10-sp Dura Ace mech and it works great. Seen similar setups on many bikes.

But as Welshy says, 10-sp shifter with 9-sp cassette = dodgy = not recommended.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
9 spd and 10 spd chains are different widths (and gear thicknesses). Is there enough of a difference in the thickness of the pulleys to cause an issue?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
jonK: There is a difference, but it is negligible IMHO.

The other way around (9sp mech, 10sp shifter/chain/cassette) might cause some problems, but I have never tried out that setup, have had no need thus far.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Yep, I think I figured it all out. First time I was able to tune a derailleur and do everything on my own so it's a bit of an acomplishment..hah