Quantcast

101 ways to setup a bullit

boehm

Chimp
Mar 27, 2002
Texas
im stuck. i live in texas and have a bullit set up for DH/Freeride. Inverted fork, three piece cranks, the works. I just can't ever ride it. I live in texas and will for the next couple years until i can relocate.

I tried selling the bike and lost heart in the matter. I think this bike is just too good to let go. The basic design hasn’t changed since i bought the bike in '01 (i am still running the fox RC) and i truly love the bike.

I was thinking instead of selling it set it up for a more user friendly platform. i ride trials and never much got into Urban FR but i love descending 10x faster than i ascend.

The basic question, if you were going to set up a bullit for heavy XC, maybe some light DH (no black diamond or racing) how would you do it? I love my hope breaks and have the starts for an XT drivetrain but what else?

Also, is the 5th element worth the upgrade? it seems like a good chunk of cash and i cant ride before i buy (I think i am the only guy with a bullit in a 300mi raidus of the hole i live in) and need opinions.

peace

boehm

Chimp
Mar 27, 2002
Texas
hadent thought about tubeless. that tubeless is tough enough to go with the rest of te bike?

also f/r lockout good or bad?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As was stated, single crown (not a Z.150 though, talk about heavy... Go with a new Z.1 FR or Sherman Firefly), tubeless, and new wheelset will be the biggest weight loss, and getting rid of those steel cranks.

IMO, if you're getting into a trail specific bike, a 5th Element would be a good option - you may sacrifice a little plushness but it will be at the tradeoff for significantly better pedalling.

Front and rear lockouts aren't any good. It just means you have an extremely heavy rigid bike which won't help anything but riding on pavement.

BillT

Monkey
Instead of getting a 5th element, just send the RC to Push and have the full race system put it. I had it done to my Bullit and I'm very happy with it - it makes it a much better pedaler and while you lose some small bump sensitivity, it feels much, much better on the bigger hits.

boehm

Chimp
Mar 27, 2002
Texas
i have a set of king hubs, if i built them on disc rims think that would be lignt enough?

also, how much for the push mod?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
boehm said:
i have a set of king hubs, if i built them on disc rims think that would be lignt enough?
How much do you weigh?

A set of King hubs on some Rhyno Lite XLs would be light enough for trail riding but still pretty tough.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I think you will end up spending too much trying to change the apple to an orange. You ought to be able to sell that Bullit on Ebay and and pick up a new or used trail bike that will be much better suited to your needs. You could even just sell the fork/frame and pick up a killer hardtail/fork combo with the cash.

BillT

Monkey
Check out www.pushindustries.com for the latest prices and services offered. I am extremely happy with their product/service and their turnaround time is great.

I'm also in the process of reinventing my Bullit. I'm switching from a Jr. T to a 66 - I think the single crown will make it a little more versatile and I'm going from some heavy downhill tires (Maxxis Minions) to 2.3 Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal combo.

boehm

Chimp
Mar 27, 2002
Texas
My bullit/white bros is atcually sechudled to go on ebay on the 6th. If it sells I will talk it as a sign that it was not meanty to be for this rig. I was thinking of getting a HT, but I alredy have a chamelon (that bike is the longest relationship I have) set up to perfection for trail riding. I was trying to get closer to a long travel trail bike, something I could take on 10 to 20 mile shuttles and thru trails.

I just has me knee replaced so I am trying to stay with the fs.

bv...I weigh175