Quantcast

12 hours of temecula.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
There's a 24 hr of Adrenaline race this weekend too at Hurkey Creek. I will be racing with a 5 man corporate team. Heidi, have you raced there before (almost guarantee you have)? If so, any tips about the course you can PM me about, especially the climbing parts.

and:

Is it rocky, thorny-flat prone, loose? I am running a skinny air light tubeless set but if it's too thorny/prickly, I may switch to regular tubes as it will be easier to repair. Tips, yo! :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hurkey Creek can be prone to thorns in the meadow on the backside. In my 4 years of racing that I think I only got one flat though. The course...when I did it (let me just throw down here that we were 2 time coed champions, one 2nd place coed, and I held the fastest day and night lap for females :)), it started with an ever so slight climb that broke you in, a couple really fun roller sections, then popped out in a meadow that could have surprize headwind that pissed you off. It then had I think 3 steeper shorter climbs, they kill all power you have. Then comes the superfun downhill, some more winding flatter fast stuff, a steeeeep short section that is completely rideable but a burner, then a road section and another steeeep short climb with some flatter fun stuff to follow.

I don't remember there being too much sand, just before the road and after the road section...and coming back into the campground. Not too many rocky sections, it's fast and flowy.

I miss that course. It was truly fun. GOOD LUCK

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Thanks Rockstar.
I needed that morale boost from someone who has raced there, especially with your emphasis on the fun DH and fast flowy section. I'll take the chances with tubeless bec my tire combo right now just kicks butt. I'm compromising a bit on the traction but I need ALL the help in efficient climbing these skinny tires seem to offer.

Random: I took these tubeless set off of the Overall XC Omnium Champ (some frenchie riding for Orbea) at Sea Otter this year. They better work as my lucky charms.

....end of the 12HR racing thread-jack.....

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Ahem, 2 time Hurkey Creek 24 hour race champion here(corperate team, I think I got 4th on a 4 man team too :clapping: ).

I really miss that course, it is hella fun. I would say that the course is on the loose side, but it can depend. There are definately a couple of sections that have a beach-sand consistency. The downhill section is one of my fav. singletracks of all time, very flowy and fast. I would definately try and get a couple practice laps in before tha race, you will have more fun. I think 2 out of the 3 times I raced there I was on Python 2.00s. The last race was done on some FIREXCs, I always ran slime. The meadow section can catch you offguard with some gnarly 75degree headwind, even though the rest of the couse is chillin in the mid 40degrees...pretty creepy when you are out there alone at 3am.

I wish I could race!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
No, Temecula is a different course. I've raced there too but I don't know if they use the same course. That one had some really tough climbs, loose as hell downhills, and lots of flat parts too. I always felt lost on that course.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
I wish I could race!
Yeah, wish I could too, I mean like really race but this is just a way to whoop my fat ass into some form of shape. I'll bring another tubeless set in case the XC racing specific semi slicks pose to be too loose. I dedicate this race for y'all fat lazy bastards who know next to nothing about mountainbiking but to shuttle it. :p

edlubba

Chimp
Aug 1, 2006
orv... you're the one who got me into shuttle runs, so i blame it on you. i put those barracuda airlights you hooked me up with on the reign, but haven't had the chance to try them out. u need any help this weekend w/ support, food, ect?

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
u need any help this weekend w/ support, food, ect?
***thread e-hijacking***

Ed, how about I feign injury and you ride for my spot?
I did an all-out ride tonight and bonked out at about the the 7.2 mile mark with some serious left calf cramp. The good news is I did it within 33 mins. So If I pace my ass down a bit and spin some climbs, I can potentially make the 10 mile loop under 60 minutes -theoritically of course. I was seriously konked out but still get recharged on every DH section....

12 Hour of DH needs to make a serious come back.

Anyways, Ed, thanks for the offer. Unless you're taking my spot, we're covered. Use this weekend to butter up with your fiance so you have the hall pass for the Big Bear weekend in two weeks, foo!

***end of e-thread jack part II***

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
It then had I think 3 steeper shorter climbs, they kill all power you have.

I miss that course. It was truly fun. GOOD LUCK
Man, you weren't kidding about the second climbs- they owned me on my first two laps. First lap, I lost a combined 18 mins (on board stopwatch) due to leg cramp and power mismanagement. It was humiliating to get off the bike and sat on my ass nearly in tears. The DH sections really were my salvation especially during the night laps.

I also had the priviledge to get the sunrise lap. It was so awesome to see the meadow in shadow while the hillsides were lit by the rising sun. I am hooked.