Quantcast

12 speed cassettes?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Clearly new territory for me, but are 12speed shimano cassettes just unavailable? Looks like 11spd is around. Might just go that route. Am I missing something?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have two XD E-13 and they are a little funky to install due to their XD setup to avoid patent issues, but once installed, they just work (for me).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just have to account for needing to swap freehub if/when you then change to 12sp.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's like 1000x better than those old 9spd and 10spd systems we used to use. Maybe it can still be better...but really seems like marginal gains at this point.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
True, weighed with the increased durability of an XO chain, I agree the gain would be marginal. But my XTR stuff is so smooth, it feels like electronic shifting under load, even the (lack of) thumb pressure required. I can‘t say that about the last XX1 setup I had, it felt clunky and slow, and made god-awful protest under load.
Just my experience.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The fact that I'm rolling in at mile 100 in a muddy race and my drivetrain still shifts like the beginning of the day...shit we just used to dream about in the 2000s...That's why all sorts of hipsters were going to singlespeeds...

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I have two XD E-13 and they are a little funky to install due to their XD setup to avoid patent issues, but once installed, they just work (for me).
FWIK XD is free to use, you just need to apply for a license.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The fact that I'm rolling in at mile 100 in a muddy race and my drivetrain still shifts like the beginning of the day...shit we just used to dream about in the 2000s...That's why all sorts of hipsters were going to singlespeeds...
you have to be fucking joking.
8, 9 and 10 speed shift way faster, more accurately and smoother than any modern 12speed wide range cassette shifting ever has.
Even Acera 7 speed shifts cleaner.
The biggest improvement in regards to your drivetrain still working after hours of riding in shite conditions wasn't wider ratio gearing, a clutch or MOAR gears it was getting rid of the mud trap that was the front mech and multi chainring chainsets. But being a DH forum we were all running single ring set ups for all round riding 25yrs back. Weren't we?

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
8, 9 and 10 speed shift way faster, more accurately and smoother than modern 12speed wide cassette shifting ever has.
The biggest improvement in regards to your drivetrain still working after hours of riding in shite conditions wasn't wider ratio gearing, a clutch or MOAR gears it was getting rid of the mud trap that was the front mech and multi chainring chainsets. But being a DH forum we were all running single ring set ups for all round riding 25yrs back. Weren't we?
Are you riding xtr or some slx stuff?
I think 9100 shifts better under load than anything else I've ridden.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Are you riding xtr or some slx stuff?
Nope. 10speed I run 105/ultegra or Zee/deore with 11-25 or 11-36 cassettes.
But the thing is lowly 7 & 8 speed Acera actually shift faster than 12speed XTR 9100. Although 10-45 is a slight improvement over 10-51.
12 speed's slow shifting does my head in whenever I have to ride it (SRAM or Shimano).
12 speed drivetrains shift so slowly because of the bigger gap between sprockets, taller height of the largest sprockets and the larger gap required between the mech's guide pulley and the cassette sprockets. SRAM is even slower than shimano though. This is why the largest cassette sprocket I own is a 42t on an 11spd XD cassette. I'd honestly rather push my bike than run a 51t cassette. With the tiny chainrings many riders run they're not far off walking pace in their lowest gear anyway.

I think 9100 shifts better under load than anything else I've ridden.
You may well think that. But it doesn't. Close ratio cassettes shift faster and smoother under load. Not that I ever shift under load intentionally on any bike as its simply not the most efficient technique and continually doing so causes a shit load of drivetrain wear.
If you were to spend a decent amount of time riding a much closer ratio cassette and then swapped back to any bike with a massive range cassette you'd instantly notice the lag in shifting I'm talking about. Especially if it was to a 10-51 SRAM drivetrain.

To OP.
UK shimano distributor currently has no stock in 12spd cassettes. Desre is meant to be restocking at the end of the month. No estimated arrival date for any others.
SRAM distributors only have THE pointlessly colourful top tier eagle cassettes in stock at a retail price of one zillion UK earth pounds.
I'd guess it to be a similar story worldwide. (Except in Germany :phone:)

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
True, weighed with the increased durability of an XO chain, I agree the gain would be marginal. But my XTR stuff is so smooth, it feels like electronic shifting under load, even the (lack of) thumb pressure required. I can‘t say that about the last XX1 setup I had, it felt clunky and slow, and made god-awful protest under load.
Just my experience.
My XX1 is a bag of dicks. It’s never right no matter what I do to adjust it, I always have that cable tension that seems to be cunt hair off. I really wanted XTR but COVID said XX1 or nothing.
Back on topic, E13

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Nope. 10speed I run 105/ultegra or Zee/deore with 11-25 or 11-36 cassettes.
But the thing is lowly 7 & 8 speed Acera actually shift faster than 12speed XTR 9100. Although 10-45 is a slight improvement over 10-51.
12 speed's slow shifting does my head in whenever I have to ride it (SRAM or Shimano).
12 speed drivetrains shift so slowly because of the bigger gap between sprockets, taller height of the largest sprockets and the larger gap required between the mech's guide pulley and the cassette sprockets. SRAM is even slower than shimano though. This is why the largest cassette sprocket I own is a 42t on an 11spd XD cassette. I'd honestly rather push my bike than run a 51t cassette. With the tiny chainrings many riders run they're not far off walking pace in their lowest gear anyway.

You may well think that. But it doesn't. Close ratio cassettes shift faster and smoother under load. Not that I ever shift under load intentionally on any bike as its simply not the most efficient technique and continually doing so causes a shit load of drivetrain wear.
If you were to spend a decent amount of time riding a much closer ratio cassette and then swapped back to any bike with a massive range cassette you'd instantly notice the lag in shifting I'm talking about. Especially if it was to a 10-51 SRAM drivetrain.

To OP.
UK shimano distributor currently has no stock in 12spd cassettes. Desre is meant to be restocking at the end of the month. No estimated arrival date for any others.
SRAM distributors only have THE pointlessly colourful top tier eagle cassettes in stock at a retail price of one zillion UK earth pounds.
I'd guess it to be a similar story worldwide. (Except in Germany :phone:)
LOL, Ok, Boomer:D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
x01 as well. buenos. no complaints. tres bien fait. only went microspline b/c xt cassettes were so much cheaper and i had the old hg on my rear hub and the nx 12sp cassette was heavy and crappy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Highly unlikely. It was like that brand new.

I could never get SRAM Eagle to work well on my Ibis. Hanger not bent, Shimano works like a dream.

Eagle is so sensitive to the B-Screw adjustment that I think it is possible that the hanger position or chain growth on some bikes can make it impossible to tune and setup.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Eagle is so sensitive to the B-Screw adjustment that I think it is possible that the hanger position or chain growth on some bikes can make it impossible to tune and setup.
I also find the most effective way to adjust this is to turn the damn screw till it works good, vs. reading and trying to set it according to the specs. But again, shifting is freaking amazing compared to 10 years ago or more. If people are having problems with it still, I don't know what to say, somehow you've been left behind. I rode my bike 350 miles in the ITI with probably 10s of thousand of shifts and never once had a shifting problem. Same with basically all of my bikes...I simply never have to think about it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My Eagle stuff works well, too. Even if the GX derailleur is as wobbly as a wet spaghetti noodle.

As much as I enjoy the XD driver and it's simplicity, I freaking hate how much a GX cassette it. So much so that I have purchased a Chinesium one and will give that a go.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Clearly new territory for me, but are 12speed shimano cassettes just unavailable? Looks like 11spd is around. Might just go that route. Am I missing something?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@dump if that's what you want ^^ jump on it ASAP while you piece together the rest of your drivetrain. Waiting in the current supply chain doesn't work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have discovered that items that you may not be able to find at your LBS or large internet supplier you can often find at random LBSs that have a webstore.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have discovered that items that you may not be able to find at your LBS or large internet supplier you can often find at random LBSs that have a webstore.
That's what I just did with recent builds for wifey and I. Even better when you can find a coupon for them and they don't charge state sales tax.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's what I just did with recent builds for wifey and I. Even better when you can find a coupon for them and they don't charge state sales tax.
yeah. I have picked up a few things from a shop in Arizona and didn't have to pay our 10% sales tax.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
8, 9 and 10 speed shift way faster, more accurately and smoother than any modern 12speed wide range cassette shifting ever has.
That sounds horrible. I don't know how I would be able to go on if I were in your shoes.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Shimano 10 speed 11-36, 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36
Shimano 12 speed 10-51, 10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-33-39-45-51

Damn similar down low.....
And ofc the 39-45-51 are going yo shift slower, they are physically rotating slower.....

And I shift under load all the time Yolo
Have some climbs that suck and are full of switch backs, and I like climbing fast. 8100/9100 egg me on to shift under load because they do it very quietly. I know it's not good for the casette I've got one on the shelf with nothing left for shift ramps on the 45t....