Quantcast

120+20mm does not equal 160-20mm. Or, more to a bike than how much travel it has.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
you say that like it's a good thing

dunno about you, but on long epic rides with lots of climbing, the 83mm wide shell killed my knees. My 6Point is the only bike that gave me knee aches.

I had the same setup as you (with shorter shock) - was okay but it's the only bike I could almost dig the bashguard in the dirt while cornering...it was literally a bit too low.

You say that like it's a bad thing...;)

Good point for some about the wide shell and potential knee aches. Pretty sure I'll be fine though, I used to climb a Nicolai M-pire....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the ASR5 from yeti looks really impressive. Had I know it was coming, I would have waited instead of buying the 575.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I've been riding a 6point for a couple years, I love it. with the shorter i2i it really is a mini Dh and they're cheap now the IH is no longer. Mine is about 36lbs and is a solid ride.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
there was a time when a slackish 140 mm travel f/r bike seemed like something worth making happen, but with the light weight 160 mm travel forks and frames available now, i don't see the point of 140 mm setup.

my nomad2 (rocco piggyback air) / lyrik combo has 13.75 bb with realistic tires, and around a 66.5 HA. sure, in an ideal world, this bike would have a 66 HA and a 13.5 BB, but it's very damn close to ideal as it is....and works extremely well for days where i'm climbing over 5,000 vert feet. I've ridden 6 inch bikes w/ a 65 HA and they felt fine on the down but weren't ideal on the steep and long uphill climbs. but perhaps i would have reached a different conclusion w/ a different stem/bar/seat position.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I've been riding a 6point for a couple years, I love it. with the shorter i2i it really is a mini Dh and they're cheap now the IH is no longer. Mine is about 36lbs and is a solid ride.
Hows the durability of the 6pionts? I've been thinking about getting one, but since Iron Horse is out of business I know I'd be screwed if the frame cracked which is the reason I haven't bought one yet.

I have a Diamondback Mission and I think the new ones might be close to what you are looking for. The HA is about 67, the BB is low, and with the 2010s they made the frame a lot stiffer which is my biggest complaint about the frame.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
I just put an 8.5x2.5 shock on my 07' enduro, and it gives me a 13.5 bb and around a 66 hta. Almost feels a little too slack and I keep dialing down my talas a bit as a result, but it does ride good.
Anyway, 05-07 enduro's fit the bill and are tough little bikes. I like mine a lot.
Aye, I keep meaning to shorten one of the 5 or so Vanilla RC's Ive got lying around down to 2.25 stroke to see what it goes like in teh ASX, but its been on the "to do" list for ages!:confused:

Ahh the joys of having too many old bikes that need TLC!:weee:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Hows the durability of the 6pionts? I've been thinking about getting one, but since Iron Horse is out of business I know I'd be screwed if the frame cracked which is the reason I haven't bought one yet.
the frame is solid, mine has been running strong for 2years with only bearings needing to be replaced. I believe RS Cycles is blowing them out for $700? that's what a crash replacement at most companies would run.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
there was a time when a slackish 140 mm travel f/r bike seemed like something worth making happen, but with the light weight 160 mm travel forks and frames available now, i don't see the point of 140 mm setup.

my nomad2 (rocco piggyback air) / lyrik combo has 13.75 bb with realistic tires, and around a 66.5 HA. sure, in an ideal world, this bike would have a 66 HA and a 13.5 BB, but it's very damn close to ideal as it is....and works extremely well for days where i'm climbing over 5,000 vert feet. I've ridden 6 inch bikes w/ a 65 HA and they felt fine on the down but weren't ideal on the steep and long uphill climbs. but perhaps i would have reached a different conclusion w/ a different stem/bar/seat position.
I think the Nomad2 is good bike, its just not for me. For starters I'm in between sizes (M&L) and I'm also not a huge fan of the rear suspension action. I've ridden Maestro bikes and prefer the way they tend to ride. I guess I like a bike that tends to squat as opposed to jack.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have been riding and racing on my Tomac Snyper for the last 3 years. I have been blown away on this bikes performance all around.

-5.5 front and rear
-68.5 HA
-13.75 BB
-My build is at 30lbs even

It has a nice stiff rear end for climbing but still feels great on the decents. I have raced this bike doing lite to mid DH and its held its own. I am a 200+lbs rider and I ride my bikes hard. I have raced it at Downieville, Sea Otter, Firestone, CCCX DH, etc.

In action:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Here's what I'm currently riding. Sounds like what you are looking for.

Link to geo

LOVE this idea / special edition! What fork are those geo numbers with? I prefer my RFX's suspension and stiffness over Ventana's (owned a Bruja previously) but if I was buying now I think I could "settle" to get the Path's geo, no problem. Nice bike! I'd love to ride one.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Your first paragraph hit the nail on the head and was the reason I never bought an "all-mountain" bike.
All-mountain really means a bike that decends poorly because it's too tall and climbs poorly because it is too heavy and has too much travel. Trying to get the best of both worlds really gives you the worst of both.
Look at the Intense 6.6
Tall, steep, heavy, and wallowing around in 7" of travel.
Then look at the Intense SS. They took the same bike and said F' BB height. Let's just make decend well. Well, they made the perfect all-mountain bike.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
LOVE this idea / special edition! What fork are those geo numbers with? I prefer my RFX's suspension and stiffness over Ventana's (owned a Bruja previously) but if I was buying now I think I could "settle" to get the Path's geo, no problem. Nice bike! I'd love to ride one.
The geometry is listed with a 140mm fork.

Did your Bruja have quad bearings? This bike feels as stiff as my old 6pack, but then again I'm not a big guy.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I agree completely, I'm also waiting on the Sect.

To tide me over, I've been riding a Pitch and it's a really fun bike for sure.

the b.b. measures 13.7 with a 2.3 chunder up front and a 2.35 highroller outback and the Pike at 140 (67 HA).... this actually ended up being plenty low for me even with 170 cranks I'm still tagging stuff when I'm sprinting occasionally.

It has slightly more travel then I wanted and the seat tube is slightly longer then I wanted, the travel I've gotten use to and kind appreciate it now because I can run a lil sag and still push into the bike. The seat tube is a non issue turns out the standover is great and I don't even lower my seat enough for it to be a issue (keep the saddle between my knees.)

good luck, you might want to look into a pitch (cheap) just to hold you over till the sect comes out.

p.s. those ventennas look sweet, I just fall in the middle of the top tube sizing.

Last edited:

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
voreis was right. If my trance was 2 degrees slacker, so 67*, I would say it was the best bike in the world.

Also, a ton of you are posting 6 or 7 inch bikes with 68.5* HA. thats not slack. That's the problem. Also, people want to be able to climb their bikes, and maybe relatively quick. Adjusting sag and making your suspension soft to obtain the right angles is a half assed solution for a half assed bike (unless air shocks had better low speed tuning options, then you could possibly dial out pedal bob and have a ****ty dead feeling suspension).

some one please make a 4'' bike with good angles.

Jamis Parker?
L/18”
14.45/367=CENTER of BB to TOP of TT
23.82/605=EFFECTIVE TT LENGTH
68˚=HA
73˚=SA
16.85/428=chainstay
44.45/1129=wheelbase
1.50/38=fork raake
13.07/332=BB Height
4.72/120=headtube
29.84/758=standover

It's 4" rear travel but a bigger fork could be out on it.

Just sayin.........

FreshwOOd

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
Hi, this is Doug from Corsair.

It seems like you are recognizing a number of issues concerning what you need in a bike that Corsair has also considered to be important. A couple quick points:

Corsair frames are available with an adjustable headtube angle. This means that this topic is not a point of discussion. You can pick between three different headtube angles which almost nobody would disagree with as being the three most common options. Also, you can select the amount of fork travel you prefer while maintaining a particular HT angle.

With all of our frames we are working to achieve high quality suspension along with super efficient pedaling.

In the case of the Marque, it has a rearward axle path and 2:1 leverage ratio. This results in very tuneable travel and it is a suspension system that allows for fantastic traction.

The use of our idler pulley technology results in next to no pedal feedback/chainpull/chaingrowth. As well, the idler pulley is attached to the swingarm. This results in downforce to the swingarm during pedaling.

The other common topic discussed concerning the Marque is the BB height. We made a very specific choice concerning the amount of travel on this bike and it surrounded the BB height. Generally, lower BB height is better. It offers a lower center of gravity which results in a more stable, controllable ride. While it is popular to offer a 160mm travel bike, we found we could offer a bike with superior suspension performance with less travel. (read above about axlepath and leverage ratio) So in the end, we feel like the Marque performs as well or better than most 160mm travel bikes with only 5" of travel with three components working together, axlepath, leverage ratio, and lower bb height.

Thats it for the moment.

Doug

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Doug,

have the idler pulley issues been sorted? I've read a few things here and there of people more or less exploding the stock pulley, and having issues with getting the front shifting/chainline working properly, and the noise from the chain passing through the stay "tunnel" or whatever it's called.

That is the #1 issue that has kept me from checking into a Marque frame, and that I've yet to see one in person anywhere.

The idea of setting up a short front and rear travel bike to have a nice low BB and a 66* or so head angle really appeals to me just as a short/slack/burly trail bike, even though I'm not a DH guy.

I really, really like my Specialized Pitch with its 66* head angle (with a Lyrik) but would love to have a bit lower/less overall travel/shorter chainstays and wheelbase - all things that the Marque setup would give me.

Hi, this is Doug from Corsair.

It seems like you are recognizing a number of issues concerning what you need in a bike that Corsair has also considered to be important. A couple quick points:

Corsair frames are available with an adjustable headtube angle. This means that this topic is not a point of discussion. You can pick between three different headtube angles which almost nobody would disagree with as being the three most common options. Also, you can select the amount of fork travel you prefer while maintaining a particular HT angle.

With all of our frames we are working to achieve high quality suspension along with super efficient pedaling.

In the case of the Marque, it has a rearward axle path and 2:1 leverage ratio. This results in very tuneable travel and it is a suspension system that allows for fantastic traction.

The use of our idler pulley technology results in next to no pedal feedback/chainpull/chaingrowth. As well, the idler pulley is attached to the swingarm. This results in downforce to the swingarm during pedaling.

Thats it for the moment.

Doug

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Take a look at the Sinister Gruitr. Lots of people running those with a Lyrik up front. If it does not exactly fit the bill, call up Frank and see if he can make you a custom one. Pretty much guaranteed you won't break it.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Don't read too much in to the top tube. It has a 73.5 degree seat tube angle.
what do you mean? if the top tube is too short, you have to run a longer stem, which screws up steering feel and affects the way your bar-weighting translates to the front tire contact, etc.

if I'm going to climb anything on the bike, I want nothing to do with bikes that have a top tube shorter than 23.25"

FreshwOOd

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
Doug,

have the idler pulley issues been sorted? I've read a few things here and there of people more or less exploding the stock pulley, and having issues with getting the front shifting/chainline working properly, and the noise from the chain passing through the stay "tunnel" or whatever it's called.

scrublover, Yes, we now have a new idler pulley that is working quite well.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Doug,

scrublover, Yes, we now have a new idler pulley that is working quite well.
Can you post pics of the new bike? The Marque is on my shortlist to replace my 6point pretty soon but i've heard some of the same issues.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
what do you mean? if the top tube is too short, you have to run a longer stem, which screws up steering feel and affects the way your bar-weighting translates to the front tire contact, etc.

if I'm going to climb anything on the bike, I want nothing to do with bikes that have a top tube shorter than 23.25"
Top tube measurement is a fairly useless number when looked at independently of the other variables. it really doesn't give you a very good picture of how the bike is going to ride other than when you are seated, and even then it is pretty limited. You can adjust your seat/seatpost as well with either a layback post/head or just sliding the seat along the rails to change your effective seat tube angle and top tube length without screwing up you steering feel. It will affect you front tire contact though. You need to look at all the factors(head angle, front centre, fork length, head tube length) to get a better picture of how the bike will fit. The more important figure for how the bike is going to ride is the distance from the top of the head tube to your bottom bracket.

If we take a 30" seat height and compare the 73.5 degree seat tube angle to that of a nomad that has a 71.5 degree seat tube angle you'll see that the 2 degree difference makes a 1" difference in effective top tube length.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If we take a 30" seat height and compare the 73.5 degree seat tube angle to that of a nomad that has a 71.5 degree seat tube angle you'll see that the 2 degree difference makes a 1" difference in effective top tube length.

One of the hardest parts about being a bike nerd is that geometry hurts my brain. :shakefist:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I guess I'll never understand the whole "I need a 12" BB and 63° HT angle on my 5" bike to descend". While I'm exaggerating there, the idea is that if you go too far, you limit the versatility of the bike. How many people are looking for "mini" DH bikes vs people looking for good all-around bikes? In the past we just used to call the gravity-oriented more "all around" bikes "freeride", and we realized they wouldn't work quite as well on the downhill. I can understand slightly lower BBs as we make gains in technology, use slightly smaller rings up front, and so on, but most people's "ideal" bike that is mentioned is just too limiting for the terrain. It will work great as a mini-DH bike on smoother DH stuff, and with some skills it can work fine on bigger DH stuff, but it will suck everywhere else, more than it has to.

5" of quality travel is where I might agree with this thread, although there are so many examples of "not" quality travel that it's almost pointless to bring up an arbitrary number in terms of travel. 5" of linkage controlled travel with a coil shock does not feel like 5" of high-pivot travel with an air shock. Unfortunately the industry will always be driven by light weight, but I think the "quality" aspect of the travel is hugely variable.

This is from our ride yesterday (not me, but I took the pic). 14" BB is fine for a 6" bike. I won't discount that there are some cool bikes in this thread and I'd like to take them on certain runs, but I sure hope those manufacturers have done the economics of offering such bikes. Out here in the West, we got rocks. This thread also started out as one-person's idea of the perfect bike, but yesterday on the climb out to (Goat Camp in Phoenix) I killed most of our group on my 47lb highline. One person's "do everything" bike will always be somewhat different from the next.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hopefully it has appropriately "light" compression and rebound tuning, otherwise it would result in exceptionally harsh travel. How is the travel "tunable"? It would seem with a low leverage rate that each click of the adjuster would have a bigger effect and it would be harder to fine-tune it.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I guess I'll never understand the whole "I need a 12" BB and 63° HT angle on my 5" bike to descend". While I'm exaggerating there, the idea is that if you go too far, you limit the versatility of the bike. How many people are looking for "mini" DH bikes vs people looking for good all-around bikes?

Ummm... yeah if you go too far of course you'll limit the versatilty of a bike, but that doesn't mean current industry standards (67* or 68* HA, 14"ish BB) are the best compromise either.

How does a 65* HA and 13"ish BB limit a rider's ability to climb to the top of a trail? I think the point here is that DHers typically will be willing to sacrifice a bit of "tight, twisty, seated climbing" ability for downhill stability. This is the Downhill forum.....

This is from our ride yesterday (not me, but I took the pic). 14" BB is fine for a 6" bike. I won't discount that there are some cool bikes in this thread and I'd like to take them on certain runs, but I sure hope those manufacturers have done the economics of offering such bikes. Out here in the West, we got rocks. This thread also started out as one-person's idea of the perfect bike, but yesterday on the climb out to (Goat Camp in Phoenix) I killed most of our group on my 47lb highline. One person's "do everything" bike will always be somewhat different from the next.

I think it's pretty apparant from all the posts here endorsing lower, slacker trail bikes, and how few have chimed in with your point of view, that there is some interest in bikes differing from what's commonly being served currently.

I live as west as you can get and not get wet, and we don't have much for rocks. We do have a sh!t ton of drifty turns through the trees. Low and slack will almost always win here.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I live as west as you can get and not get wet, and we don't have much for rocks. We do have a sh!t ton of drifty turns through the trees. Low and slack will almost always win here.
quoted for the truth..

that's why I like riding here so much. And don't think we don't do that much climbing - during a 12 mile ride here you do close to 3k of climbing - but equal amount of descending.

it also depends what suits your riding style - I (like many) like slack and low. but it's definitely not for everyone.