Quantcast

12hr race questions

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Hey all,

I have a few questions about what you would expect at a 12 hr race.

Type of course and prefered length?

6am to 6pm or 6pm to 6am or other times?

what makes a good "pit" area?

What do you dislike about current events?

What has made events like this fun for you in the past?

I am gathering info for a upcoming 12hr event in North Louisiana. The course will be around 15 to 20 miles of rolling hills with some short tough climbs, mostly single track with some jeep trails.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I like the course to be 10-12 - if you're having problems and you're out there for 20 miles it sucks. I like singletrack with fireroad or doubletrack areas to pass on.

Depending on daylight - I like 7am to 7pm.

A good pit area - Room for riders and support to set up covered awning tent thingies for shade and shelter. Tables with gatorade and water - with cups. Lots of garbage cans, lots of porta potties.
Boards to post lap times and progress on.

Disliked some of the course marking - don't make us guess where to turn. If teams are involved - make the baton (sp?) or whatever a reasonable shape or size. One race had a punch card you wore around your neck, they would punch it after every lap. That sucked.

Prizes and raffles make events fun, posting times efficiently and announcing people as they come through is good too.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Woggle Bear
This is the kind of onfo I'm looking for!:)

As for the baton what has worked the best?

Thanks for the info.
Small wooden piece (like a big dowel) maybe 3" long and 1" diameter - that way you can stick it in the leg of your riding shorts.