Quantcast

12mm to 10mm conversion axle

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar question and didn't want to start a new thread for it:

I have a Demo 7 and transferred my old wheelset to it, which includes a Ringle Abbah SOS rear hub w/ 9mm QR axle. I know the frame recommends a 10mm thru-axle, but the QR seems to work fine for now. I'd like to throw a bolt-on of some sort on there; can I cram a 10mm into the hub or does someone make a 9mm bolt-on?

http://www.atomlab.com/storeparts2.html

Aug 6, 2007
amish country
YUP

I run the NYC freeirde on all my bikes , as weel as shipping them with all out 10mm frames we sell !!
Great product , support the lil guy !!
Is there an advantage to running the NYC over the azonic momentum axle. i.e., weight, stronger, or better on the frame wear?
My wheelset will be an outlaw.

Thanks

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Is there an advantage to running the NYC over the azonic momentum axle. i.e., weight, stronger, or better on the frame wear?
My wheelset will be an outlaw.

Thanks
I'm not familer with the Azonic

The NYC axle is 7075 centerless ground , and comes with hardened bolts .
It's listed on the NYCfreeride.com site , I'd suggest getting ones of these , it's going to be the best quaility TA adaptor out there.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Checkout the adapter from Atomlab. Two 8mm hex bolts screw into the axle. I've used it on my AS-X for a couple years and have been very satisfied. It won't tear up your drops outs like a serrated bolt.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar question and didn't want to start a new thread for it:

I have a Demo 7 and transferred my old wheelset to it, which includes a Ringle Abbah SOS rear hub w/ 9mm QR axle. I know the frame recommends a 10mm thru-axle, but the QR seems to work fine for now. I'd like to throw a bolt-on of some sort on there; can I cram a 10mm into the hub or does someone make a 9mm bolt-on?

http://www.atomlab.com/storeparts2.html
no, youll need a hub10mm is bigger than 3/8's and 9 mm so, not to be obvious, it just wont fit

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
thanks mike, I'd just heard of people running thru-axles in place of standard QR's, wasn't sure what the deal was. one of those cases where the obvious answer seemed too obvious, I guess.

May 16, 2007
I am in this boat. Just built up an 08 Azonic Steelhead and have the Outlaws on it. Want to go with thru axle in the back and am looking for conversion axle.

Liking the looks of the NYCFreeRide and AtomLab setup vs. the azonic momentum.

This may be a silly question, but what bad things might happen if you ground slots in the threads on the 12mm stock thru axle down to fit the the 10mm dropouts???

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
NYC FREERIDE makes one of the nicest 12MM TO 10MM AXLES I have seen and its super burly.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
the nycfreeride bit is the tops, run it on my demo 7, my 26in dirt jumper, and ran it on my old xc bike. is pretty light, stays tight, is light, looks dope, and made of the finest machine work ever