Quantcast

140mm brakes on rear?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
So with disc brakes, I gather the front mounts are one size larger than the rear mounts. So a brake adapter that fits a 180mm disc on the front will fit a 160mm on the rear. Does this mean I can use a 160mm front adapter to install a 140mm rear? Is there some kind of clearance issue or something?

I'm setting up a 24" dirt jumper and looking for a smaller rear disc with the BB7. A 140mm with organic pads will provide more than enough brakes. A smaller disc should warp/get hit less.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Ok, looking at a pic of a rear adapter here and it has 160F 140R on it so that answers my question.

I am putting together a DMR Rhythm. It's going to be a sick bike. Half mountain, half bmx, 24 specific frame and fork. MMM

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Rotor size is up to the user.

Considering that braking is 80% in front brake, a larger rotor is advantageous there. You can also save a little weight by running a smaller rear rotor.

But for compatibility and pricing reasons, a lot of bikes have the same size front and rear rotors.

Also, I believe most 140mm rear brake mounts, the 160mm adaptor is just flipped over.