Quantcast

145 miles - give me your best advice

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have decided to join the ride in two weeks from Manhattan to Montauk. I will ride with two other guys.

It's the first time I will ride more than 60 miles but I feel like I am in really good shape and I have been riding a lot all year.

Give me your best advice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
-Start slow, you can always throw down at the end if you have the energy. I always like to put my fastest 20 mile segment in at the end of a long ride. -

-Be efficient. Don't waste your energy pushing on descents and fast flats, your best effort/time ratio comes on the climbs.

-Work well with your other riders. As long as the other riders are trustworthy, a cohesive group sharing work can make easy work of a ride.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The whole way should be super flat as its all Long Island so no big climbs to deal with which I think is good for the first long ride.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
:stupid:

If you go above what he outlined, you'll risk gut bonk and it'll suck.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hook up with other pacelines as much as possible

Eat and drink a lot even if you don't feel like it

Take time to stretch your neck and back muscles.

Use butt butter

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
-Start slow, you can always throw down at the end if you have the energy. I always like to put my fastest 20 mile segment in at the end of a long ride. -
An old friend of mine was an experienced 24 hour racer and actually won a pro race some 10 years ago. His theory: start slow, then back off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
An old friend of mine was an experienced 24 hour racer and actually won a pro race some 10 years ago. His theory: start slow, then back off.
Friend of mine took the Granny Gear series last year. His fastest laps were always the last ones. If nothing else it made for a great show. Passing handfuls of people for podium spots in the last hours of a 24 hour race can crush people's spirits.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Listen to these people. Eat and drink small amounts constantly, and resist the temptation to go out at your normal pace. You've been completely shattered after your longer rides, right? You need to spread that same amount of hurt over a much longer day, so go easy at first and finish strong.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I just did my first century this weekend. Longest ride prior was ~35 miles. My advice, for whatever it's worth...
  • Find your rhythm. Yes, go slow, but mentally you need to see those miles ticking off, so don't go too slow. There is probably a couple of gears and a certain cadence that you're really comfortable at - find it and sit back for the long haul.
  • Eat and drink constantly, but always in small amounts. Half a banana here, a gel pack there, a drag of gatorade with each... that sort of thing. You get too much in your belly at any one time and you're going to feel like crap. You don't have enough and you'll struggle.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Listen to these people. Eat and drink small amounts constantly, and resist the temptation to go out at your normal pace. You've been completely shattered after your longer rides, right? You need to spread that same amount of hurt over a much longer day, so go easy at first and finish strong.
I have actually been practicing going slower to be able to ride longer. The last two times I have ridden 3 hours I have been fine and still felt good after the ride. I think I have a good idea of a good pace that will make me keep feeling okay until the end.