Quantcast

15 wt. oil in an MCR?

Grinder

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I'm thinking of putting 15 wt oil in the ecc side of my mcr and leaving the rebound side at 10wt. Heavier oil combined with extra heavy springs should slow the compression but maintain the rebound qualities of the fork. How about a 60mm oil height to give the compression a lineal feel? Anyone tried this?
Thanks.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
When in doubt, talk to Zoke tech support (661-257-6630). They'll be able to give you the exact setup you want.

I have no idea about what that setup will feel like. I would worry about destroying the dampers with oil that heavy. I haven't ever had much need to deviate from the medium springs and 50mm 7.5 wt, but I'm only 160 lbs...

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
As far as I've heard, anything besides 7.5 wt isn't a good idea. Get the correct springs and then adjust oil height first, adding heavier oil is for fine tuning the damping when all the above are done correctly first.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Are you bottoming out or why are you changing the fork setup? If you bottom out, RAISE the oil height. 60mm is too low. I also wouldn't go above 10 weight oil. You have plenty of rebound adjustment on the fork.

Raising the oil, even above recommended levels might limit travel, but I've NEVER seen an instance where it caused problems.

Grinder

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I'm trying to make my mcr Z1 feel more lineal and less progressive, especially in the lower 2" of travel. I also want the compression slowed down, thats why I asked about the 15wt oil, hoping it would slow it down. I know the small bump performance will suffer, but I was using all of the travel all of the time, and hitting a bump while descending there was no travel left in the fork. I'm 200 lbs + 10 lbs of gear. So far I have replaced the stock heavy springs with extra heavy springs, put 15 wt oil in both legs, tried a 55mm oil height but I bottomed too often so I raised it to 50mm. So how does it feel? Well not like my Monster T, even if I used only 5 of the 7 inches of travel, it isn't lineal and bottomless feeling like the Monster T. It feel less progressive than before, and I'm not always in the last 2" of travel. It has lost the small-hit plushness, and the rebound is still plenty fast enough with the 15wt oil. I would still like to slow the compression more yet. Can I alter the compression cartridge, plug a hole perhaps, to slow it further? I've never had a cartridge out so I have not inspected one to figure out how they work and why. Is the compression valving adjustable, and seperate from the rebound valving?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Oh, and going 60mm will blow up your fork, guaranteed!
Wait, I was thinking backwards...
50mm is a little too hugh maybe. Call 'zocchi if you have doubts.

The problem is you are asking for two different things. At 200+ lbs you need a little progressiveness in the spring rate, IMHO.
The "Pro-wind" springs are progressive, all the other weights are linear. (even x-heavy) Adding max oil height adds a touch of progressiveness back in. Wanting the fork to be linear and not to bottom out is a hard thing to accomplish, so keep fiddling.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
It's also concievable that you might have blown somethign with too heavy oil. That might explain not enough damping...;)