Quantcast

16" of Love

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
There are quite a few dialed 24" and 20" build out there but what about the 16"? :)

Here are some pics of a fresh build I did for my son. It started out as a Haro Dave Mirra I got on eBay for $60. At first, I just wanted to set it up as an extra 16" for him and his friends/cousins to use - we have a small pump track and always kids over the house. But after stripping it and down (it was in tough shape), the project started to get a little out of hand.

My son picked out the color - I think he did a good job. Although it was a lot more time and money, I quickly forget about it when I take a look and seeing how well it fits him on first quick ride on it today. Looking back a new 16" dk or MirraCo would have been a bit cheaper and a lot easier. But definitely not as custom.

Pics:

Build:

Frame: Haro Dave Mirra 16"
Fork: Haro Dave Mirra 16"
Headset: Cheapo - Cartridge
Stem: Odyssey Elementary
Bars: Steel
Grips: ATI Pistol Mini Grips
Seat Post: Odyssey Junior (22.2mm)
Seat Post Clamp: Haro
Seat: Odyssey Junior
Crank Arms: Dotek 140mm
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-25 (73x113)
Chainrings: 36T Alloy
Chainring Bolts: Alloy - Blue
Chain: Sram PC-68
Pedals: Wellgo
Freewheel: ACS Claws
Brake Lever: Tectro U-Brake
R. Brake: Tectro U-Brake
F. Hub: FMF 36H
R. Hub: FMF 36H FlipFlop
Rims: Alex 36H Singlewall
Nipples: Black Brass
F. Tire: Kenda K-Rad (16x2.125)
R. Tire: Hoffman Skid (16x1.9)
Extra: Powder Coated w/ Clear Coat on top

Custom work /Weird fit stuff:
- grind off 990 mounts on the fork - I was trying to teach my son how to use the grinding wheel so it's a little un-smooth even with a thick layer of powder but looks better than some posts sticking out
- Brakes - what a nightmare - axles were slammed and the 990's pads were not lining up right. I ended up using some wide pads for tall rims with as many spacers that would fit
- US to Euro cups - seems straight forward but I needed to find a 73x113 BB in square taper. Went thru a few BB's to get the chainline decent.
- FMF hubs w/ hollow axles - pretty light and look awesome. Stock hubs were fine but I had these laying around for something else and decided last minute to swap hubs.
-King headset cap that I had broken where the bolt goes - worked perfectly for this.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
that turned out awesome, nice work don
looks exactly like a mini sunday setup in the toothpaste color haha

jim c on the same larger setup ha!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Thanks for the props everyone - I can't wait to see him ride it some more.

Stoked - great pic of Jim C! Too funny that it's the same teal color and he has the bars and fork done too. Not to mention it's a dope move he's doing.

Cru - now I know why you've got the skills and have as much fun as you look to have riding :thumbs:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
here is my sons, al alum frame/fork, Ti stem, micro rise bar, he is 3.

145 cranks, Ti bb. its 16lbs w/o the trainers.