Quantcast

1st bike 4 beech

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
With Beech opening up more regularly, I'm thinking about getting a bike. Here is the deal: I'm an XC dweeb in my late 30s and I don't have much budget. My initial thought was to get a slack hardtail. However, I'm saving up for a 5-6" 29r to replace my Titus Racer X for Wilson's trips, but I was not sure if thatll be much fun or durable on lift accessed terrain. Since I'm budget shopping, where should I focus spending? Brakes? Does the drivetrain even matter?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Clealan has a point. That's fast Eddie's DH bike. It's not for sale b/c it's been beaten on. He bought it off Jeremy R in fantastic shape, but he's hurt himself 3 times on it since and is in his late 40's. Wife and he decided he should hang it up.

That bike is a STEAL!.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
If your budget is really tight, my brother has a Brodie Damien (180 mm front and rear) with a nice parts spec for $600. Be hard to get cheaper than that.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
F' that 29er and get a solid 6" bike i.e. Enduro, ReignX, Nomad, etc. and do it all on one bike.

I have one 6" bike with 2 wheelsets. One light tubeless setup for XC and one with DH tires. Pretty darn good setup.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I would suggest finding a used DH bike. You can usually find them for pretty cheap, then just buy parts as you break them. I bought very familiar to a few people on here used 06 Demo 8 a few years ago for cheap and the only thing I have had to do to it since was replace tires and brake pads.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Choose wisely and your 29er should be just fine for everything. Transition bandit, yeti sb95, stumpy evo, etc look like fun to me. Tires are most important by far. 8 inch front rotor is nice, chainguide is nice. These are all things I would be running on a bike for wilson creek anyway...

If you're on a budget, buying a DH bike in NC is just stupid any way you look at it.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I bet you can still smell my balls on the seat if you sniff hard enough.
That should be listed as a feature!!:rofl:

Yeah, I gotta agree with some of the others. I would just build one kick ass 6 inch trail bike.
That bike should be fine for just riding Beech's am course, and the next trail they are building there is supposed to be a easier flow type trail.