Quantcast

1st Road Bike Questions....

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Im looking for my 1st road/commuting bike and need some of your help. I am buying this bicycle to commute from home to work, and to places like the gf's house etc...Im unsure whether a road bike is the right choice but it definitely seems to be the most efficient. Heres a little info to help you guys: I am a big guy at 6'4'' 285lbs. I raced downhill for 4 years so biking isn't new to me. My budget is $650. I know that won't get me much but I figure I don't need the best of the best for what I am doing.

So do you guys have any recommendations? Is a road bike the right choice? Or should I steer towards a comfort/commuting bike.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I think a road bike would be a bad choice. With your size, and skinny tires, flats are going to be a problem and that is the last headache you need on a commute. A cyclocross bike would probably be a better choice.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yeah im not sure about a road bike either. I was told by a friend I should look for something along the lines of an upright commuter/mountain bike style frame with 700c wheels and road tires. That will probably benefit me more?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah im not sure about a road bike either. I was told by a friend I should look for something along the lines of an upright commuter/mountain bike style frame with 700c wheels and road tires. That will probably benefit me more?
Yeah anything with fatter tires is going to be better.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I would suggest any number of Redline's road bike offerings. They have the R540 and the R550, which is a flat bar bike. You can also consider the Conquest Sport, which is more of a touring type setup. Trek FX bikes are nice, as well as Specialized Globes, which are now marketed as "Globe" as the company. Everyone has one, but the Redlines are real "lots of bike for your money" bikes. We've sold more Redline R5 series bikes than I can count this year.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
The redlines look nice, but Im not sure if they are in my price range? I can't find much on google. Im also looking at the Cannondale Quick series.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I agree with DD and would lean towards a cross bike. The big key will be to get a bike that will allow you to run a larger tire; my road bike won't clear a very big tire, but my cross bike has plenty of room.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I popped for a Scott CX Team (cyclocross bike)....Frame is sturdy, tire clearance is a non-issue. I run a 28c on the rear now that I put a 29'r RhynoLite (wide rim, and the brakes fit it!!!) on it...I was blowing spokes like no one's business for awhile...now, it's solid.

I'm 6'7" and around 270 now...was about 300 when I started commuting back in March. The XL is a bit small for me...but whatev...I deal.

I would definitely look at the cyclocross offerings from any company in your price range. They will serve you well, then you can upgrade once things wear out/break.

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
I personally recommend the Kona Dew series bikes, they are very sturdy and comfortable bikes, aren't boat anchors, and are reasonably spec'd for their price [Deore/Deore XT] If you need to you can even mount racks and such.
-E