Quantcast

2 1/2 foot + bunnyhop help

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Ight my bunnyhop is right around 2 1/2 feet on my nemesis which is ight. I want to get bigger though. My question is anywhere above that I lean back to far and I just cant get it. Whats your suggestions. Please only people who can do it and no one else. Im not trying to waste my time. Im also not a super strong guy (but working on it) any suggestions would be hella helpful.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Sheeeeit... I could use a little help too. My issue is all mental, like I can hop ledges pretty decent, but I can't do fugging picnic tables, which are shorter. In fact, the other night I was getting so bugged out by the lack of substance where a wall should be, I actually nose cased the edge of the damn thing, despite it being 5 inches shorter than the ledge I just got up!
I HAVE found, that trying to just sprocket stall on it first REALLY helps. Which means I'm not tucking my legs enough when I try to get all the way up. I'm sure that makes no sense to you, there, without seeing me try it, but I've actually felt my sprocket slide down to a ledge that I've been known to even clip the front tire on when trying to hop all the way up. When stalling, I loop way out, even feeling my knees on my chest occasionally, then try to set the sprocket down gently. I just never keep this in mind when sessioning. Need to tie a string around my finger... tuck legs, tuck legs, tuck legs...

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Sheeeeit... I could use a little help too. My issue is all mental, like I can hop ledges pretty decent, but I can't do fugging picnic tables, which are shorter. In fact, the other night I was getting so bugged out by the lack of substance where a wall should be, I actually nose cased the edge of the damn thing, despite it being 5 inches shorter than the ledge I just got up!
I HAVE found, that trying to just sprocket stall on it first REALLY helps. Which means I'm not tucking my legs enough when I try to get all the way up. I'm sure that makes no sense to you, there, without seeing me try it, but I've actually felt my sprocket slide down to a ledge that I've been known to even clip the front tire on when trying to hop all the way up. When stalling, I loop way out, even feeling my knees on my chest occasionally, then try to set the sprocket down gently. I just never keep this in mind when sessioning. Need to tie a string around my finger... tuck legs, tuck legs, tuck legs...
I know what you mean, you concentrate more on the tucking of the legs and forgetting about leveling out in the air, so your front tire goes down. And to get over that you first get the sprocket stall down so that you know how much you first need to get the front tire up. Smart Idea. I dont have much if any street near where I live and no license so its just hopping over recycle bins and whatnot.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm not at 2 1/2 feet yet, but i'm working at it really hard. guess the theory is that you should be able to hop as high as your front wheel is. what's the trick to getting that to happen? i have a friend that can hop onto picnic tables, but when i ask him how he's doing it, he just shrugs. is it all a matter of practice, or is there actually something that i can be told that will help me out?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I've got a similar hop and want more but I feel like if I pull up too hard I'm gonna loop out.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I know what you mean, you concentrate more on the tucking of the legs and forgetting about leveling out in the air, so your front tire goes down. And to get over that you first get the sprocket stall down so that you know how much you first need to get the front tire up. Smart Idea. I dont have much if any street near where I live and no license so its just hopping over recycle bins and whatnot.
Actually, I'm almost exactly the opposite of that! I worry about my dumb front wheel! My bro I ride with the most says my front wheel is always like 2-3 feet above any lip I'm after. Then my rear wheel smacks into it and I do the balance-on-my-toes-on-the-edge thing for a few seconds after getting knocked off the peds! And I'm not consistent, I can make them sometimes, case em the next, so I know it's in my head.
I'm weird, I've learned this much in the last month: I hop the highest when going OFF ledges over a small lip or a curb or something, out of fear of nose diving into the asphalt, I assume. Over high speed gaps I drag the tail. I can't hop as well with 90 psi instead of 60psi. And I can't hop AT ALL at night anymore. WTF?

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Actually, I'm almost exactly the opposite of that! I worry about my dumb front wheel! My bro I ride with the most says my front wheel is always like 2-3 feet above any lip I'm after. Then my rear wheel smacks into it and I do the balance-on-my-toes-on-the-edge thing for a few seconds after getting knocked off the peds! And I'm not consistent, I can make them sometimes, case em the next, so I know it's in my head.
I'm weird, I've learned this much in the last month: I hop the highest when going OFF ledges over a small lip or a curb or something, out of fear of nose diving into the asphalt, I assume. Over high speed gaps I drag the tail. I can't hop as well with 90 psi instead of 60psi. And I can't hop AT ALL at night anymore. WTF?
Haha, for me I think its getting sum more upper body strength along with riding alot more. Works good for paying for bikes, but it seriously cuts down on my riding time.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
You can sell kidneys and a nut for bike parts, quit your job, ride yer bike!
I think alot of it, is just getting people to ride with. Im not really the kind of guy who really enjoys riding bymyself, I like to feed off of people. Im building up a rediculously expensive dh bike so its gonna be worth it. then a car. Ok back on topic. I just really want to learn how to bunnyhop as high as possible. I think its just gonna take more time though.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
Hit a jump that will get you more than 2.5 feet of air... trust me, it's more fun.

haha... just kidding.

You can ride more and practice bunny hopping more to build stregnth. But what i would do is go to the gym and build some lower and upper body stregnth. I actually think lower is more important so that you really get that initial boost, and pull the bike up. I think that pulling/holding the front end up just follows and doesn't take lots of stregnth.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Hit a jump that will get you more than 2.5 feet of air... trust me, it's more fun.

haha... just kidding.

You can ride more and practice bunny hopping more to build stregnth. But what i would do is go to the gym and build some lower and upper body stregnth. I actually think lower is more important so that you really get that initial boost, and pull the bike up. I think that pulling/holding the front end up just follows and doesn't take lots of stregnth.
Well I ocassionaly ride xc so my quads are pretty strong, There isnt a local gym that isnt super expensive so I would have to find a way over there. We got one of thoes lil like personal gym things where you bend the elastic bars, its def not the same as weights though.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I don't even know how it works. Really, I have never had a problem with my front end dropping and I'd like to say I have some serious ups for a white kid. I used to lift weights alot though so I don't know if that helps. Basically, you lift up like a normal bunny hop, but harder, with more force. Then you just tuck your legs, but at the same time, bring the handlebars up to your chest.

Oh course, getting up ledges is about 12341651321 times easier than hopping OVER something. The ledges, you can get your front tire on mid-hop, and just lean forward. Getting over something is a different motion.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yep, once you get to that point (2 feet plus range), it's more about strenth, explosiveness, and fast twitch muscle fibers than it is technique. Lifting weights definitely helps. Deadlifts are about the perfect exercise for riding bikes. If you really want to get serious you could do some plyometrics to help build explosiveness.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Yep, once you get to that point (2 feet plus range), it's more about strenth, explosiveness, and fast twitch muscle fibers than it is technique. Lifting weights definitely helps. Deadlifts are about the perfect exercise for riding bikes. If you really want to get serious you could do some plyometrics to help build explosiveness.
Real squats, not the quided ones. Those are badass. We had to do a certain amount for football season and move up weight throughout the day. By the end of working out, we would ride wheelchairs back to the dorms because we were so dead.

Maybe that's why, I have big legs.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
with bunny hopping i have alwayd had a decent hop, its when i started trying to disaster big ledges that my hop EXPLODED. also hitting the gym makes a huge differance in your hops (and street riding/any type of riding). i pull hard with my hands and left the back end evenly after the first 1/2 foot or so and throw myslef in the air and tuck the bike into me. seems to do the trick quite well

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
with bunny hopping i have alwayd had a decent hop, its when i started trying to disaster big ledges that my hop EXPLODED.

Hmmm... that's what I was kinda talking about. Must be good "training" for tucking those legs in. I gotta go sesion...

So... while we're at it, let's talk about bike geo and how trhat affects hopping? High BB, long/short chainstays, long tt, etc...

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Unless you are riding a real TANK of a bike, strength is not that big of an issue. I knew a guy that was a 90 lb. weakling and that guy could hop over 3' at will. I am a skinny bastard myself, and can hit 40" on a good day....

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
by no means am i a big or strong guy, but i can bunny hop really high i would say, and for me its all about technique, basically u have to think about a hop like this, how ever high u lift up ur front end, is how high u will be able to tuck up your back end, and then in an instance where they ledge is higher then what u can lift your front wheel onto without loosing balance and falling over the back, what you need to do in order to compensate for this is u need to hop straight up off ur back wheel when ur front end is already as high up as it can go, so basically what u do is when u pull up on ur bars, at the same time u just jump up with ur legs, and then using the arch motion with ur arms to bring up the back end, keeps the pedals on your feet. i dont know if you guys can understand what im saying it would be alot easier if i could tell u in person

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I kept progressing until around 34-36 inches with tires level.... and I cant seem to get past that height.

Some of the previous posts were good. Ive always thought it was about technique and timing, but now Im thinking the explosive power might be the part Im stuck at.

It boils down to spending alot of time on the bike, and finding ledges that are progressively slightly higher than your presently comfortable with hopping. Also ledges with 'soft' edges always seem to take the pucker factor away. Things like planters with wooden trim, rail road ties used to hold back earth always seem less scary than some 3 foot tall granite ledge.