Quantcast

2.3 UST Nevegal good for East Coast DH?

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
Finally making the switch to UST. Huge fan of the Nevegal but the UST only comes in 2.3. I've never ridden anything thinner than a 2.5 for DH. Is that tire going to be wide enough/burly enough for East Coast rocks, etc?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I used the 2.35 UST tire in Downieville. Tubeless too.

I've only made a few runs, but it's handled like a Nevegal without any excessive sidewall wear.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Let me translate for VooDooHoo: I have seen people use the 2.35 for trail use, but nothing smaller than 2.5 for east coast DH application.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Are the sidewalls nice and thick like a real DH tire on them or thin like a sissy xc tire? I've been thinking about getting a set of the UST nev's for trail riding am worried that they will tare open

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I run a ust 2.35 nev in front and a ust 2.35 in the rear. I love the combo at plattekill. A 2.35 kendra tire really is about the same size as a maxis 2.5. I am using mavic 823 rims on hadley hubs

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
The 2.35 sidewalls are thin. Stick with the 2.5 for DH
It needs to be said that while the sidewalls on the Single Ply Kevlar 2.35" Nevegal are thin, the sidewalls on the UST 2.35" Tubeless Nevegal are NOT. They are definitely different than the single ply tires, which is why they weigh 1000g and not 700g.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I ran them last weekend at Diablo on my SS. I wouldn't race on them but for trail riding they were working just fine. One big advantage is they stay beaded to 823's really well and you can run extremely low pressure

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I run a ust 2.35 nev in front and a ust 2.35 in the rear. I love the combo at plattekill. A 2.35 kendra tire really is about the same size as a maxis 2.5. I am using mavic 823 rims on hadley hubs
Exact same wheels I have on my SS. My rear tire suffered a couple tears though so It's retired. :mad:

I'll echo that the sidewalls on the UST versions are completly different from other models. Not super thick, but WAAAAY thicker than the paper thin XC models. I'm now running UST Minion DHF's on that bike in hopes I don't tear those. :think:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not a lot of clarity regarding this...

I wouldn't use anything less than 2.5 for east coast DH use, but Maxxis' 2.5 is not as wide as other manufacturers, so I wouldn't necessarily discount the Kendas immediately. I was disappointed in the width of my tires and wish I had ordered a 2.7 for at least the front (have minions). I only ride east coast DH, so it's all rocks and steeps for me.

Also, I've had pretty good experiences all around with Nevegal tires...they seem to grip without breaking loose as much as many of my other tires...however....Transcend and VDH are going to have significantly more experience with the tires and racing than I do.

I would say, if you're an AM or can get them cheap, go for it, if you're a pro-ish rider who really pushes his tires, look elsewhere. I haven't tried a tubeless setup, but I've heard they aren't always a good decision. I watched somebody blow up a near new tire the other weekend, rendering it useless...wouldn't have happened with a tube.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not a lot of clarity regarding this...

I wouldn't use anything less than 2.5 for east coast DH use, but Maxxis' 2.5 is not as wide as other manufacturers, so I wouldn't necessarily discount the Kendas immediately. I was disappointed in the width of my tires and wish I had ordered a 2.7 for at least the front (have minions). I only ride east coast DH, so it's all rocks and steeps for me.

Also, I've had pretty good experiences all around with Nevegal tires...they seem to grip without breaking loose as much as many of my other tires...however....Transcend and VDH are going to have significantly more experience with the tires and racing than I do.

I would say, if you're an AM or can get them cheap, go for it, if you're a pro-ish rider who really pushes his tires, look elsewhere. I haven't tried a tubeless setup, but I've heard they aren't always a good decision. I watched somebody blow up a near new tire the other weekend, rendering it useless...wouldn't have happened with a tube.
Just to be clear, I have never raced the Nevegal, I value my life...

I do work closely with 2 teams who have title sponsorships from Kenda and have had the opportunity to get a few dozen DH runs in on their different tires. I am not impressed. The Nevegal however, is the complete worst tire they make - close tie with their scary mud tire. I wouldn't touch either of these tires with a 10' pole, whether riding or racing.

The El Moco and the excavator are both much better, and actually have some traction. I woudl run these are play/freeride tires as they will last forever. The compound is still terrible however (hence the reason they last), and you will still flat like crazy on them. I have not flatted on Maxxis/Michelin stuff in about 5 years. I flatted on Kenda's 3 times in a week in Pila. You can't run them tubeless, in my opinion, (even the UST ones), as you cannot run any sealant in them or they bubble. 1 thorn means you have a flat...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sure that's not the blue groove? Just to clarify. I've heard those are horrendously terrible.

I've ridden nevegals at highland a couple of times...they seemed to grip fine...but at that time I was coming off tires that may be even worse than nevegals, and I have no input on longevity/flat resistance as I don't have long-term riding on them.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sure that's not the blue groove? Just to clarify. I've heard those are horrendously terrible.

I've ridden nevegals at highland a couple of times...they seemed to grip fine...but at that time I was coming off tires that may be even worse than nevegals, and I have no input on longevity/flat resistance as I don't have long-term riding on them.
Both teams don't even have any blue groove's in the trucks. Apparently they are just as bad, but I haven't had the "opportunity" to try them. I do know that the nevergrip was frightening, particularly as a front tire.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
You can't run them tubeless, in my opinion, (even the UST ones), as you cannot run any sealant in them or they bubble. 1 thorn means you have a flat...
I ran Nevegals tubeless with Stans strips and sealant for 2 years without any issues.

Although they were still a horrible tire. Riding them for 2 years was something like the old Hayes brakes. You think they're great until you try something else.