Quantcast

2.35 suitable for dh?

end0boy

Chimp
Sep 11, 2005
philippine archipelago
im currently using a 2.5 super tacky minion in the front and a 2.5 slow reezay high roller in the rear. :) it rolls kinda slow but i like how it rides .. im planning to change both to 2.35 coz i know they roll faster. im just curious if there will be any difference on how the bike would handle like cornering,drifting,etc ..or is it depending on the terrain? im using single tracks by the way ..

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
slowreezay/super tacky in a rear tire really slows down the bike IMO. I've always run a 60a compound in the rear and a super tacky in front, to me it just makes more sense. a. your rear tire is going to slide where it wants to over rocks/roots, why try and fight it with a super soft tire?, b. it rolls so much quicker, and c. you dont have to replace your rear tire every weekend.

As for the 2.35 thing, it might fly on a smoother course, but even with a high psi i dont see it as an optimal choice for new england terrain where im from. 2.5 has worked well for me, 2.7s are just alittle to big IMO.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Yup, stay away from a 2.35 in the front. The sacrifice in traction isn't worth it.
I've run a 2.35 60a rear with a 2.5 supertacky front with great success on most courses, and switch it up to a 2.5 rear on the nastier courses.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
end0boy said:
im currently using a 2.5 super tacky minion in the front and a 2.5 slow reezay high roller in the rear. :) it rolls kinda slow but i like how it rides .. im planning to change both to 2.35 coz i know they roll faster. im just curious if there will be any difference on how the bike would handle like cornering,drifting,etc ..or is it depending on the terrain? im using single tracks by the way ..

2.35 is fine, especially in maxxis since the is almost exactly the same size as a 2.5, just depends on the course and what ya want.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
i have a 2.6" in the front and a 2.35 in the rear the front is goofy wide i used to run 2.3 tioga's f&r b/c they were cheap as hell @ $15 a pop i liked the wider front personally.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i used a comp 16 2.2 all last year and half of this year and had no problems at all. i love that tire. i recently changed to a 2.7 minion which is basically a 2.5 in the front and either the same tire in the rear or a 2.5 highroller...big difference at high speed, way more traction. the smaller tire is better in slow and tech stuff though.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...for rocky terrain and better cornering ability, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 2.5" up front.

Neil Donoghue of MBUK/Santa Cruz runs as Intense DH FRO 2.5" up front and an Intense Edge FRO 2.35" in the rear.

A 2.35" tire will dig down deeper and as a result, get better traction in loamy/muddy conditions. The downside is that there is a higher risk for pinch flats if you try to run the it with the same kind of "squeeze test" feel you'd give to a regular 2.5"

Put more air in the 2.35" to give it better resistance to being pinched on rough rocky terrain. Because this tire is being used at the rear of your bike, the higher pressure won't help the tire conform to the terrain very well, but it'll be sliding around anyway while you are focusing on keeping the front glued to make those corners...

Hope this helps.

end0boy

Chimp
Sep 11, 2005
philippine archipelago
thanks guys! i'll get a 2.3 for both minion and high roller and see what happens .. if handling gets a bit sketchy might try running 2.5 minions in the front then 2.3 high rollers on the rear? hows that sound? some guys use the front specific minion in the back .. dunno why ..

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It kind of depends on the course; however, I think that a 2.35 is little bit small for the front. When the race course is kind of long and not very rocky, I've run a 2.35 in the back.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Banshee Rider said:
slowreezay/super tacky in a rear tire really slows down the bike IMO. I've always run a 60a compound in the rear and a super tacky in front, to me it just makes more sense. a. your rear tire is going to slide where it wants to over rocks/roots, why try and fight it with a super soft tire?, b. it rolls so much quicker, and c. you dont have to replace your rear tire every weekend.
umm...no...softer = more grip = more traction = better control = confidence @ speed = faster cornering = faster.

-ska todd

J

JRB

I don't ride DH, but I just got a 6" bike with 2.35s on it. They are beefier than the 2.25s by just a bit. I notice a huge difference in the ride, but I think it is my wider wheels than the tires. They seem stiffer, so I would assume, that the rims make more difference. That said, in the rocks, bigger tire = more volume = better ride. Not sure how right I am, but it seems right.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
I think i depends on your rim as well, a 2.35 on my 219's was tiny but maybe with an other rim you will be fine. 2.35 is a little small for the front, i would stay 2.5 F and 2.35 or 2.5 rear.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think tire size all depends on the course; some call for big tires, some don't. I run different tires all the time. For a race this weekend at Jiminy Peak I ran a 2.5 front and 2.35 rear (Swampthings) and it was awesome. The same combo would have been crap on a dry, rough course with not much pedalling. I raced Killington earlier this year and there wasn't much pedalling but a lot of steep, rough ski trail descents and some wide open flat corners. For that I ran a 2.7/2.5 Nevegal combo. Sure a 2.35 can work great for downhill...it just depends where and on what day.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ska todd said:
umm...no...softer = more grip = more traction = better control = confidence @ speed = faster cornering = faster.

-ska todd
yeah I agree...I'm not so sure about faster rolling tires in the back improving acceleration. The rear tire still has to overcome the traction of the front tire....D

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
ill run a 2.35 on most courses on a tubeless wheel due to its lighter wieght and faster rolling roatation. im also the same kid who will run a single ply 2.5 front tire too when there are rocks out. i never have had problems unless its uber uber rocky

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
i got 2.75 on the front and 2.65 on the back, i can lean to the point of the pedal catching on the ground and still have perfet traction.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I had a pair of wire bead 2.3 Weirwolf. They were good for Downieville, but a little light for N*. I am going to switch them back for the winter so I can get some trail use from my bike.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
end0boy said:
I use 2.5F and 2.35R everywhere. In west Virginia I used 2.35 front and back and it worked so incredibly well........ I think its all personal preference. You can roll 2.35s if you want, but a 2.5 in the front inspires a bit more confidence. The other thing to remember is the narrower you go the more attention you are going to have to pay to line choice and stuff, but they roll faster.

Moral of the Story: Everyone should ride 2.5" Comp 16 Michelin DH tires. They run a little small, almost the same as a 2.35 high roller.

end0boy

Chimp
Sep 11, 2005
philippine archipelago
jake133 said:
I think it depends on your rim as well.
yea thats right .. i have a friend using 2.35 front but because of his wide rims it made my 2.5 look small! hahah ..the race tracks here in the philippines arent the rocky. its mostly like hardpack and some loose rocks.. well heres my shopping list for the tires im getting : holy rollers for urban,2.35 high roller and minion. tires here are hella cheap! i can get the minions and high rollers for 350 pesos which is like 6$(us).. heheh! :)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
ska todd said:

-ska todd
I was stating what works best for me. I've tried soft compounds from a variety of companys (kenda, maxxis, michelin). Each time i've run them front and back i get the same results; The bike is noticably sluggish, slower acceleration, and yup, the rear tire will follow my front and slide where it wishes (same as a harder compound). This is why I choose to run soft in the front and harder in the rear. It could be out terrain, it could be the algie that covers our rocks, i dont know. This argument is pointless really. My conditions aren't the same as yours, yours arent the same as theirs, ect. Asking for tire advice over the internet really doesnt do much good unless your getting help from someone who rides the same trails/conditions. We just have to find what works best for us and stick to it. Just my .02 cents. Flame away, i've only got 100 posts :blah:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
All our trails here are rocky like no other and the larger front tire you have helps alot. 2.5/2.7 usually. The rear can be 2.5 OR even a 2.35 for all that matters because the rear basicly gets dragged along. It'll go where the front goes. I run 2.5's front and rear OR 2.5 rear/2.7 front (all maxxis tires) and have no problems or issues with grip.

Wider on the front, skinny on the rear. I wouldn't go much smaller for DH use than a 2.35 (or a large volume 2.25). Anything smaller than that and you're into that XC/FR range of lighter casing tires.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I raced Big Bear in '04 with a Kenda Nevegal, 1.95" JT signature rear tire, with 65-70psi, and it worked great. Really soft rubber for the corners, and since that course is kinda sandy, there's tons of traction. Plus, Big Bear didn't have any rock sections, so pinching wasn't much of an issue. It really depends on where you are. Some fast, wide open places are perfect for wide tires, and some techy and rocky places rule with skinny DH tires which don't catch on a bizillion rocks and can be placed on very precise lines. Just try a bunch, see what others ride, and make your own decisions. Have fun!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
250 lbs here running 2.35 high roller super tackies.... stick great and roll a ton faster than my old 2.7's.... they stick just as well also running them with stans notubes on Singletrack SL1's... no trouble at all running at 20 lbs 30 lbs or 40 lbs still sticks great and rolls fast............and yes the stans keeps working after a nice flat spot in the rim
________
WATER BONGS

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Banshee Rider said:
Flame away, i've only got 100 posts :blah:
Well, since you are encouraging me to... :evil:

Try to ride at race pace w/ a SRY tire and then ride the same trail/conditions w/ 60a tires and you will see a noticeable difference in speed and control. An SRY compound (or other similar) will grip with more and allow you to lean the bike harder and push a bike deeper into a corner. The braking performance is also greatly increased as the tire is actually gripping onto the trail vs sliding/skipping over it. Being able to brake later is a major component to riding fast. Possibly you are simply not able to ride to the level that you would feel the difference and therefore cannot appreciate the difference in ride quality?

-ska todd

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
blt2ride said:
It kind of depends on the course; however, I think that a 2.35 is little bit small for the front. When the race course is kind of long and not very rocky, I've run a 2.35 in the back.
i like a 2.5 and a 2.35 in the back too.
Maxxis Minions.

but my question is, is this going to be on DH ONLY. If so, then why not just keep 2.5 up front? Only reason I would think about going skinnier is that I use my DH bike for alot of trails in town that require some climbing.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
ska todd said:
Possibly you are simply not able to ride to the level that you would feel the difference and therefore cannot appreciate the difference in ride quality?

-ska todd
Dem are fightin words :p I can assure you this is not the case.

My gripe is not with traction, it's without a doubt that a softer tire grips better. Thats why I run one in the front. As far as braking though, soft compound tires have little noticeable effect on how the rear brakes in my opinion, the front is a whole different story. When talking about corners, i push the bike as hard with a hard/soft combo as i do with a soft/soft. If I wash out, it's usually my front (42a) due to my own error. As I said in my previous post, i've tried a variety of soft compound tires, I find them to be slow when run in pairs with little traction benefit in the back, hence I put them only on the front now.

I can tell we could probably argue back and forth all day, so we'll just have to keep running what works best for us and leave it at that.