Quantcast

2.5 Minion DHF Single Plys Finally

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can see being able to get away with one up front on a DH bike if you're light/ smooth. I've run plenty of single plys up front on mine OK.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
want some? my roommate has a minion DHF front 2.5 single ply and a highroller 2.5 single ply that came stock on his stab. After flatting both of them in one day, actually the first day he rode the bike (both had DH tubes), he yanked them the fyck off. I'm sure he'd be willing to sell them for very cheap, since none of us will run single ply tires for DH, and none of us have any bikes besides DH bikes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
want some? my roommate has a minion DHF front 2.5 single ply and a highroller 2.5 single ply that came stock on his stab. After flatting both of them in one day, actually the first day he rode the bike (both had DH tubes), he yanked them the fyck off. I'm sure he'd be willing to sell them for very cheap, since none of us will run single ply tires for DH, and none of us have any bikes besides DH bikes.
I'd be interested in the Minion. Which rubber compound?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'd be interested in the Minion. Which rubber compound?
60a, and he's only interested in selling the set, he doesn't want to deal with figuring out wtf to do with the other one. 25 + shipping takes em both.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
I'm stoked there will be a 2.5 folding bead! They aren't designed for uber rocky terrain, but riding loose (sandy/powdery) terrain where there are some rocks. Plus, since I have to climb my Nomad to the top of the runs, folding beads are primo!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I love mine!!! The 60D sort of takes some getting use to. I cant wait for them to come out in a 3C.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
SPAM: I have two 2.5 Highroller Super Tackys with single ply sidewalls that have been sitting in my basement for over 2 years because a mail order company messed up my order. Wait theres a market for these? PM me if interested....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i am 175 lbs all geared up and would run these in a second for 'real dh' i dont flat that much...

esp as a front tire, might run a dub rear and a single front.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
~835g with a kevlar bead is a more respectable tire than the ~1000g wire bead tire I was expecting. I find 2.25 Maxxis tires have enough volume for proper AM riding, but everyone's different. Cool to hear you guys got your niche filled.:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive been bugging Maxxis about these for years. I started tons of threads here and MTBR and they finally listened. The older 60d 2.5 Minion single ply was 880g.

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
This is great news - I also find my 2.35 a bit lacking in the rocky / rooty department. Remember, Maxxis 2.5 runs on the small side - this will be a great AM / Light FR tire...

PS - I run 2.35 single ply @ H-land w/ no flat issues - running 30ish/35ish...

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Wow this is great news! All i ever use anymore is 800-1000g tires on my mini DH bike. Been waiting for Maxxis to do a dual tread light, bigger Minion for many years!

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I doubt they'll even be close to the Conti Rubber Queen / Trail Kings unless the sidewall and rubber compounds are improved a whole lot over what the current 2.35s use.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Any terrain that warrants the width but isn't easily accessible with dual ply tires - ie a 3 hour ride with 2-3k of climbing and descents you'd be taking your DH bike down if you could get it there easily.
If weight is the issue , why not go with a Maxxis Dual Ply UST and a light weight UST wheelset like a Stans Flow etc.

That would give you the light weight, durabilty and no pinch flats !

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
If weight is the issue , why not go with a Maxxis Dual Ply UST and a light weight UST wheelset like a Stans Flow etc.

agree!!! build it well and flows will treat u good. but if ur a hack... dont bother!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Any terrain that warrants the width but isn't easily accessible with dual ply tires - ie a 3 hour ride with 2-3k of climbing and descents you'd be taking your DH bike down if you could get it there easily.
That's why I asked. Nothing I ride within 1-2 hours of my house falls under that description. That's probably why I'm a 29er fanboy ;)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I doubt they'll even be close to the Conti Rubber Queen / Trail Kings unless the sidewall and rubber compounds are improved a whole lot over what the current 2.35s use.
Agreed. Up to now though, you couldn't get the 3c compound on anything but the dual ply models though, so that's better.

I am liking the 2.2 Rubber Queens I just got though. They're just as wide/wider than the 2.35 Maxxis models, but with more traction where I'm riding. 2.4 RQ's are stupid-big IMO. They're bigger than 2.5 Maxxis tires. :confused:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

Because flatting isn't enough of an issue for me to bother switching to tubeless - I don't get flats often.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Agreed. Up to now though, you couldn't get the 3c compound on anything but the dual ply models though, so that's better.

I am liking the 2.2 Rubber Queens I just got though. They're just as wide/wider than the 2.35 Maxxis models, but with more traction where I'm riding. 2.4 RQ's are stupid-big IMO. They're bigger than 2.5 Maxxis tires. :confused:
They are huge, but they roll pretty fast for such a big tire. I'm not sure if the 2.2s have the black chili rubber this year, if not maybe try a 2.4 on the front, the rubber compound is worth it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've had a set for years. They were OEM on lots of Konas. Worthless for true DH, but perfect for lighter or really beginner riders. ie, my wife's SX.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
We just got them in at Go-ride.com. They seem really nice. The sidewall is thicker than the single ply, but does not have the anti-pinch flat insert that the full DH casing has. So far we've only received 60a, but hopefully we'll be able to get the 3Cs in the near futur.

Karve

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
Ive running single ply minions on my AM rig - 2.5 and they are only 850g - whoop whoop