Quantcast

2.5" NEVEGAL-or-High Rollers

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Kenda NEVEGAL or High Rollers
2.5" front & rear looks to be the ideal size.Using for all-around,4x riding not racing,.......... & DH riding & racing ..

Setup:
Santa Cruz Bullit & probably a New 2005 66RC .

Rider style:
Best on cornering hard.

-So which one corners better leaned over ??

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I have a Maxxis Mobster on the front and a Nevigal on the back, and the front tire has been sliding more than the rear......I am thinking about getting another 2.5 Nevegal and seeing how I like that on the front. I also might try out a blue-groove. The Mobster does have a good bite in the mud though.....

When it comes to the High Rollers I don't really have mutch experience, but a lot of people seem to like them.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I run the Kendas at the moment for DH and I perfer them over the HR here on the East Coast for all round riding. Good price, good rubber quality and good size tire. I would love to try the Minion if they came in something between the ST/SRY and the 60d.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Seems like i remember running a Blue Groove on the back once & ity was great.

Leaning toward the Nevegals !I'll know better when i zoom into the tread patterns. With me it's all about cornering traction !

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
All I have to say is Michelin DH16 great traction and they last a long time. The Highroller is ok but to get great traction you need the ST or SRY and they wear very fast. The Minions others have mentioned are good but once again they wear quickly. Kenda, I have never seen a good tire from them.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The Nevegal is an awesome tire for anything. They've been my favorite tire for the last year, they hook up really well and drift nice too. I have no experience with the High Roller, but I like Nevegals.

The only problem is Kenda's sidewalls aren't so strong, so if you ride with a bunch of sharp rocks you may have some issues, though I've only gotten a pinch flat once (at Mammoth with a kevlar-beaded Kenda Blue Groove).

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
kidwoo said:
Maxxis minion DHF.

That's really all you need to know ever in any condition in the history of ever.

Look in a bike magazine that covers some dh stuff. Count'em sometime.
those tires are the ****. the rear is not so great but the front minion is the cats pajamas.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
Maxxis minion DHF.

That's really all you need to know ever in any condition in the history of ever.

Well, I was lookin at the michys, cause its what brian runs, so you know they're good....

:blah:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
kidwoo said:
Maxxis minion DHF.

Pretty much summed that up well. Picked up my tires for next year from Maxxis last week.... all Minion DHFs with a couple Swampthings. Thats it, nothing more.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
DHCorky said:
All I have to say is Michelin DH16 great traction and they last a long time. The Highroller is ok but to get great traction you need the ST or SRY and they wear very fast. The Minions others have mentioned are good but once again they wear quickly. Kenda, I have never seen a good tire from them.

have you tried the nevegal or blue grove? i have to agree with you that the michy 16 and the maxxis tires you list here are good tires, but i'm curious what it is about kenda you don't like compared to those?

kenda has made big strides in the last 2 years as far as compound and pattern choice......i think the nevegal is a spectacular all around tire, it is always my first choice and i usually only change size's.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
also , i think you will find that the kenda tires run bigger compared to maxxis tires so a 2.5 kenda will be much bigger then the a 2.5 maxxis

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I've heard that but not experienced it. Are you talking about the 2 ply dh versions? i flatted more when i raced with michy's then with kendas. From a pure traction stand point the nevegals are awsome.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
BC VAN said:
I've heard that but not experienced it. Are you talking about the 2 ply dh versions? i flatted more when i raced with michy's then with kendas. From a pure traction stand point the nevegals are awsome.
EC, is there any news at Kenda of tubeless downhill tires? I love my 2.5 Stick-E Nevegals for almost all conditions, but I like the weight savings and enhanced grip of my tubeless set up more. Put a word in maybe?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
konabiker said:
EC, is there any news at Kenda of tubeless downhill tires? I love my 2.5 Stick-E Nevegals for almost all conditions, but I like the weight savings and enhanced grip of my tubeless set up more. Put a word in maybe?

Put some stans in them, and the nevegals you have will work great as a tubeless. Mine have been on since july with no problems

BTW i would have to agree with BC van the sidewall issue, the DH specific kenda tires have beefy sidewall, i would say equal to michy maybe not up to the intense, but what is.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
davep said:
Put some stans in them, and the nevegals you have will work great as a tubeless. Mine have been on since july with no problems.
I've found that doing it this way makes it less reliable. It's what I'm going to end up doing, but a tubeless specific tire would be better.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i'm not sure about dh tubeless, i can't remember anything specific.

i can ask them if they have any plans....it will come down to demand...if riders demand it and they think they can sell it, they make it. i'm with you on the weight savings....i wish i could go tubeless but everytime i have tried i corner to hard and end up burping them. how awsome is the stick-e compound!?
i think with the way kenda has been supporting the sport and the plans they have for next year......kenda will be the top tire in the next 2 years.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
konabiker said:
I've found that doing it this way makes it less reliable. It's what I'm going to end up doing, but a tubeless specific tire would be better.

I have had abslolutely no difference in reliability with the kendas vs the michy DH tires that i have run the past several years. All tires have been on D321's with stans strips and sealant. Never had a 'burp or any sort of air loss prob. Only flat i have had in three years was when i hit a cinder block-like rock at whistler at about 40mph on a fire road up top. Both tires had 1inch + tears in the side walls (michy 24.1)

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
davep said:
Put some stans in them, and the nevegals you have will work great as a tubeless. Mine have been on since july with no problems

BTW i would have to agree with BC van the sidewall issue, the DH specific kenda tires have beefy sidewall, i would say equal to michy maybe not up to the intense, but what is.
yeah the kenda dh sidwall is stiffer then maxxis or michy for sure.
intense side walls are crazy stiff they are like some type of motocross/mtb tire experiment gone bad...they were the og super compound though with the stealth rubber.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I've heard that stans ruins Kenda tires? Any truth to this?

I've had my eye on the nevegal (r)/blue grove(f) set up but I refuse to run tubes.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have also heard that Stans eats away at the Kenda tires and makes them soft. I talked with a Kenda rep at Schweitzer and he said do NOT used sealants with their tires. He did say, if you change tires a lot, its no big deal. If you leave the sealant in for any long period of time it eats away at the rubber. This is what I was told. I dont know if I believe it of not.

The Kenda Nevegal DH Stick E 2.35 and Maxxis Minion DHF SRY 2.5 are the EXACT same size. I run the Nevagals on one wheelset and the Minions DNRs on the other wheelset and I really cant tell a difference in traction. I like them both.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Oh, by the way, Kenda is one of my sponsors, but that in no way sways my opinion. I like the Maxxis and Kenda the same.

Either choice will be a good one.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Here on the East Coast, I vote for the Kenda! I run a 2.7 Nevegal in the front, and a 2.5 Nevegal in the back. I have used High rollers, and to me they have slightly less of a rolling resistance, but I LOVE the Nevegals.

They hook up really well in the loose stuff,and corner great. The only downside is they pack up in the mud, but I haven't ridden a tire that doesnt! (especially the nasty Snowshoe Peanut Butter :dead: )

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BigMike said:
They hook up really well in the loose stuff,and corner great. The only downside is they pack up in the mud, but I haven't ridden a tire that doesnt!
Yeah agreed, I love the kenda compound in part because it works great in the wet - nice and sticky - but it's frustrating that it packs up so easily. I've been running a 2.7 Blue Groove on the front with a 2.5 Nevegal in back and really like the combo, even though the 2.7 is the friggin' hugeness. But my pals rave about Minion DHF, especially for tubeless.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I have not had and pinch flatting problems with my Michelins but I am running them tubeless.

If the Kenda DH tires have a good sidewall that is great. That has been the thing keeping me from even considering their tires. You can have a great tread but if you can't keep air in it whats the point.

I would be interested in a tubless version. Now that I have ridden tubless I do not see myself switching back.

hotcarl

Chimp
Feb 11, 2004
I've run all 3 and my favorite is the Michelin, and a close second is the race compound Minion

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
BigMike said:
Here on the East Coast, I vote for the Kenda! I run a 2.7 Nevegal in the front, and a 2.5 Nevegal in the back. I have used High rollers, and to me they have slightly less of a rolling resistance, but I LOVE the Nevegals.

They hook up really well in the loose stuff,and corner great. The only downside is they pack up in the mud, but I haven't ridden a tire that doesnt! (especially the nasty Snowshoe Peanut Butter :dead: )
BigMike--your avatar is .................:oink: :oink:

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
i ran 2.7/2.7 sry hi-rollers in 04. they rolled well and cornered ok, but the blue groove, nevegal combo i had for 05 was better. no flats with same tubes, best braking, couldnt push either tire in hard cornering.kendas are way bigger, especially taller. harder to get rolling, but great overall. back to sleep for me, i'm 16 hours post-op for a broken clavicle.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i used to love high rollers but since changing to 721s and getting a freash pair of hr super tackys, i found the centre knobs stad out way too much causing loads of rolling resistance. otherwise its perfect on other rims. cornering and braking is excelent on it. minnion fs are another tire you should look into, like other ppl here have said before, its can handle a wide range of conditions and still has a amazing traction in corners.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
With Kendas, I don't really like my Blue Grooves. I prefer Nevegals for southern california dry, rocky, loose conditions.