Quantcast

2.75" Double Barrel Ti spring?

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
So i've been searching for a ti 2.75 400lbs spring for my Trek Session. Cane Creek sent the DB with a 3" stroke spring even though it says 2.75 printed on it they admit its actually a 3" stroke. So the freelenght is 6.2" and requires the ole' ziptie trick to remove the spring from the damper. I figured gettin the proper lenght spring like the DHX had, in ti for the DB would offer a lot of weight savings.

What i want is a 5.7-5.8 ti spring with a 2.75 stroke. If you look at Renton coil springs under BTI it skips over this size which is popular with major manufacturers (Trek Specialized), why is this? Has anyone with a 2.75 stroke shock found a ti spring that fits this bill?

CC--------only offers 3" stroke
Obtanium--gone
DSP-------out of stock and ti
RCS-------?
Nukeproof-?
Other suggestions.... thanks

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Just be careful with the inner diameter. it is supposed to have a minimum of .43". I use a progressive which is a bit smaller and I had to cut the black plastic guard off (the one over the threaded gold part). even with my stock cane creek spring it would rub though.

here you go, this will save you a hundred dollars and from what i have heard they are the exact same as the DSP

http://cgi.ebay.com/Manitou-Titanium-Suspension-Rear-Shock-Coil-2-76-x-400-/220727545483?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3364630e8b#ht_2485wt_1139

Just buy it quick if you decide to since they sell out quick.

Oh and they are about 6" or so long. So not as short as you would like but should work fine.

The shortest I know of are probably RCS but they are expensive and the heaviest. They are there on the bti site. Just look closer through the size listed (not the dhx/stage 5 ones)

Last edited:

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
I found it hard to believe that the fox/progressive springs which are just 5/100 of an inch narrower ID would make a difference, i already removed the black plastic guard off the damper anyways.
If the spring is actually less than 300g as advertised, than i don't care how long it is. Thanx Bubba

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I found it hard to believe that the fox/progressive springs which are just 5/100 of an inch narrower ID would make a difference, i already removed the black plastic guard off the damper anyways.
If the spring is actually less than 300g as advertised, than i don't care how long it is. Thanx Bubba
0.05" static. under compression, there's the chance that the ID would change differently between the two springs.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Unfortunately, it does. A progressive spring (~1.40" ID) in my experience will rub and scrape the CCDB body unless you get lucky (this is with the black sleeve removed), whereas a DSP (1.43" ID claimed) is rub-free. Fox is 1.38" I believe.

Manitou is the same ID as DSP so that should work too.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Manitou springs are among the lightest ti coils i have found. Them and progressive. RCS and obtanium (due to the spacers and such) seem to be the heaviest. don't know much about nuke proof or any other ones.

It can potentially rub if you go smaller than 1.43. My progressive hasn't yet but im keeping an eye on it. Might as well go with the right ID to begin with to be safe. I definitely wouldn't go with a DHX one though.

I can also attest to the fact that the ID can differ slightly even within brands. I have a 325 and a 375 progressive and the 325 is a bit narrower. It wouldn't even start to go over the black sleeve wheras the 375 would get most of the way and then get stuck.

Again, you can't go wrong with the one i linked you to. Cheap, light, and the right size

Let us know what you decide and how it works

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
Well after an exhaustive search, I finally decided on a 350 x 2.76 manitous spring. Thanks for the suggestion blimbingbubba. It is the only 350 or 400lbs by 2.75 that has a reasonable freelenght (6" or less) all others are at least 6 1/4" which makes the spring install a pain in the a**.
Ordered today, can't wait.. weight claim is over 300g lighter than my stock CC steelie

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Well after an exhaustive search, I finally decided on a 350 x 2.76 manitous spring. Thanks for the suggestion blimbingbubba. It is the only 350 or 400lbs by 2.75 that has a reasonable freelenght (6" or less) all others are at least 6 1/4" which makes the spring install a pain in the a**.
Ordered today, can't wait.. weight claim is over 300g lighter than my stock CC steelie
What are the spec's on your steel spring? My ti spring is too light and I'm not sure if a Vivid spring can fit on a DB.

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
My stock Cane Creek spring is a 350 x 2.75 with 1.43 ID and a 6.25" freelenght. The thing is a 350 x 3.0 is the same exact steel spring from CC.
I am not sure if a vivid spring will fit a DB, i never owned a rear coil rockshox