Quantcast

2" Hitch on a Sedan - hidden - anyone done it?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
So I know there are 2" hidden hitches available but I want mine a bit more "hidden"

I hate the look of the huge box on the back of the car but want to try and keep my old sportworks rack. Anyone had any luck with either a custom setup or something really "hidden"?

I've got a 2007 Mazda 3 hatch and the 2" transport DH rack.

I know Mann's Hitch in Bellevue, WA does custom stuff but they keep telling me that really it's just a basic hitch that I'm going to see...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Don't forget about ground clearance. Cars can have issues being low to the ground at driveways and other surface transitions.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have a Mann's modified 2" (was an 1-1/4) hitch on my outback and it is pretty tucked up under and out of the way. This is however, just how hitches mount on the outback and not due to any kind of super custom job. On some cars the hitch just sits further out (and lower) than others and thus more 'obvious'. Have you seen a hitch on your particular make/model/year to see how they typically sit?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I bought a stock 1.25 hitch for my mazda 6 and converted it to 2" myself. I put it as far under the car as I possibly could and still be able to fold the rack.
Painted black you don't even notice it.

However, after a year of dragging 10k worth of bikes on every friggen driveway and speedbump, I bought a truck. You might have better luck as the 3 has less rear axle overhang, but the weight will sag the rear suspension of any passenger car. My truck also get near identical mileage.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I really hate to put the roof rack on... I dislike DH bikes on the roof, not to mention the stinky gas mileage killer those things are.... hmmm

davep was Mann's pretty easy to work with? I was asking the guy about trying to keep it fairly hidden and he just gave me some line about "well you are going to see it no matter what" - didnt seem to want to help much.