Quantcast

20 mm thru axle rust?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Hey my thru axle is uh, rusting, kinda. Are you supposed to grease it? Well i put some 3 in 1 oil on it then some heavy silicone grease, but i personally dont like rust on my baby.

And while were on the subject of grease what bolts should you grease and what one shouldnt you?

Ex. I havent been putting grease on my fork bolts. ye or nay?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I put grease on every bolt and all threads on my bike...no exceptions...you can scrub the axle with steel wool to get rid of the rust...D

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I just read a post where someone was complaining of rust forming in a Azonic Outlaw front hub. It seems there may be steel in the actual hub that was rusting, not the axel. I just got an Outlaw wheelset, no rust yet. I am going to put a little grease on the thru-axel just in case.
OnOn-Stonz

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I have a Specialized Stout front hub and after an especially wet ride and a week of neglect I got a little rust on my axle. I took a rust-off spray to it that took the rust right off (it was surface rust) and now I always grease it with heavy grease.

I think it's a good idea to grease any bolt that you plan on unscrewing later on. Do this with pedals, it helps.

Feb 4, 2005
Ontario, Mildmay
Theres a rust remover sort of stuff in the american version of canadian tire most likely. its an acid sort of deal, you put it on, let it soak and rub with a rag, and the rust should come off no problem, then you put some water on it to neutralize the acid. it works great on small rust spots, but dont try anything huge, because you'll be there a while. and if u get the rust off, try to keep it well oiled.

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
There shouldnt be rust on your axle as im fairly sure its Aluminum. Only times ive had rust in my hub is from the bearings that are steel.