Quantcast

20 or 24?

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
im pretty sure my hardtail is sold and since ive moved into an area with alot more park/urban and djs im thinking about just getting a bmx bike.

im looking at both 20 and 24 inch bmx bikes

im 5'10 and used to 26 so i figured a 24inch bmx might be a good bet (my lbs has a dk general lee 24 in stock) but the only real bmx experience i have is when i used to race them when i was 10

im looking to spend around 300, and for something that will work good both park, djs and street

my lbs stocks haro, specialized, dk and a few others so id like to keep to that if possible

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
ride both, buy whatever you feel more comfortable on,
that being said, bmx are great for tricks and such, will spin fast, etc. but the 24" wheels would be a little smoother rolling and more stable.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
allsk8sno said:
ride both, buy whatever you feel more comfortable on,
that being said, bmx are great for tricks and such, will spin fast, etc. but the 24" wheels would be a little smoother rolling and more stable.

Get the DK.

Me and my peeps were jumping today and I can keep up speed so much better on my 24. Nuff said.

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
20 would allow more options in the future for upgrading. For $300 you aren't going to get too much in the way of a good complete, probably a good entry level.

But if you're really used to 26, then 24 would probably be an easier transition.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
yah i already have my nice mtb's so im gonna try givving bmx a try since the terrain is available to me now

ill try to ride both

either way ill prolly throw some e13 micro drive parts and some pegs on

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Go 24. Bmx's are mad fun but put alot of limitations on what you can ride. A 24 will leave you the option of a short travel fork which means more freeridin. The general's a sweet bike, I'd go with that.

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
The Amish said:
Go 24. Bmx's are mad fun but put alot of limitations on what you can ride. A 24 will leave you the option of a short travel fork which means more freeridin. The general's a sweet bike, I'd go with that.
BMX putting limitations on what you can ride? I hope you are kidding me.

It's a completely (well, not completely anymore) style of riding, and things that can be done are much different. The bike is also a bit easier to move being smaller and all.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
20, definitely. A 24 with big tires feels too similar to a 26. Next time you get a chance take a BMX down an XC or light DH trail. It takes way more skill, but on average trails it's more fun than bombing down on a 6" dually.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
i really have little 20" experiance, but comin from the mtb my back couldnt handel it nor could my wrist. I really love my 100mm travel 24" bike. Whatever floats ur boat try both

Dirty Jumper

Chimp
Feb 17, 2006
I am also 5'10 and now find the 24" a good choice, easier to handle than a 26 and more room than a BMX, having said that it really depends what you want to do on it, for me I ride mostly street and on the weekends I do Dirt jumping, we don't have many trials here and we have don't have ANY skateparks or ramps for a BMX where I live!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have a 20, a 24 and a 26. I ride them all as the mood takes me. Why close youself off to different experiences?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Get the 20". You will actually learn some skills if you can stick to it and ride it for a while. Plus, it's stronger, lighter, and cheaper than a 24" bike.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
20 without question, watch a MTB street vid, then watch "animal - can i eat". they are just better tools, stronger lighter cheaper and built for the terrain. like wouldn't it be weird of people started taking bmx bikes on the mountain?

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
thanks for the comments guys... i now have a 20.625" flybikes pantera in the works, ill post it up when im done